• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help me free up some space, "low on space" error

On my Nexus One I keep getting "Low on space: Phone storage space is getting low" errors whenever my phone storage gets kind of low. Worst of all its preventing me from receiving text messages, yet I still have 7 MBs left. I only have a moderate amount of apps, roughly 60 -70, and I use all of them. Furthermore, all the apps than can be stored on the SD card (like 1 in 10) are. Looking through the threads here and everywhere else people seem to suggest the following options:

1) delete uneeded apps (Ive done this)
2) root your phone and install an app that forces your apps onto the SD card (I don't want to root my phone and frankly shouldn't have to)
3) clear the cache in your browser (done)
4) delete text messages (I mean really, do I have 10 trillion texts on my phone taking up space, of course not)

So basically, is their a solution to this problem? Or do I effectively have an app limit on my device if I want it to function properly? Right now my apps won't update either and I constantly have the error.

thanks for your help,

-Dave

- Clear the cache for all your apps (takes time,.,,,)
- Reboot (Cures a surprising number of probs..)

- It could be, of course, that like pretty much all SW & HW ever designed & sold, you've found after using the SW/HW for a bit that it can't cope any more... So, the options if this is the case are, classically,...
a) Do less - get rid of stuff (even more than you did before)
b) Get the next version of SW (what are you on now?? 2.2.1??)
c) Get the next version of HW (you choose...)
d) Combination of all 3...

Sigh! Reminds me of the answer given the IT customers when I started working in IT in 1973 (G*d I feel old...)

Upvote 0
- Clear the cache for all your apps (takes time,.,,,)
- Reboot (Cures a surprising number of probs..)

- It could be, of course, that like pretty much all SW & HW ever designed & sold, you've found after using the SW/HW for a bit that it can't cope any more... So, the options if this is the case are, classically,...
a) Do less - get rid of stuff (even more than you did before)
b) Get the next version of SW (what are you on now?? 2.2.1??)
c) Get the next version of HW (you choose...)
d) Combination of all 3...

Sigh! Reminds me of the answer given the IT customers when I started working in IT in 1973 (G*d I feel old...)

well thanks for your reply. really lame though that I have an app limit even though I still have over 3 gigs left (on the sd card). Yeah im on 2.2.1. Hopefully they will make gingerbread or honeycomb so that all apps have to have the option of being installed on the sd card.

Upvote 0
Download the Android SDK, this will get you the driver and program you need. Set the phone into USB debugging mode (Settings, Applications, Development, tick USB Debugging)

Plug it in to the PC, and point the PC towards the driver from the SDK.

Now fire up the command prompt, navigate to wherever the SDK was extracted, CD into the tools folder and issue the command above.

Or install Universal Androot and a terminal emulator from the Market. I know you don't want to root, but you can use the soft-root option and remove them afterwards.

Then fire up the terminal and type:

Code:
su (and hit the allow button when it appears)
pm setInstallLocation 2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones