• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help me from going mad. Which Ruu is my Ruu?

stirb

Lurker
Dec 21, 2013
I bought this EVO 4G third hand from some scumbag, well I didn't know this phone was rooted due to be never owning a android phone. Well I have been researching this all day and I am exhausted. Please help me

So far I have

Downloaded SDK Android tools
Downloaded JDK
Relocked my Bootloader
Downloaded RUU version RUU_SuperSonic_S_Sprint_WWE_3.70.651.1

I am getting error 140 which points to wrong Ruu, Which ruu is for my phone? Heres bootloader info

HBOOT-2.18.0001
RADIO-2.15.00.12.19

Keep in mind I am a idiot to this rooting/unrooting business and before today never knew a single thing about it. I am at AndroidRuu website now so if you can just tell me which one I would be so grateful.

Welcome stirb!
Have you checked out this unrooting guide?
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/655895-complete-unrooting-guide-evo-4g.html

There is more info needed than what you posted in order to unroot. (info that is in the bootloader screen)

Personally, I would suggest leaving it rooted :)

There are so many more possibilities available rooted and easier to trouble shoot.
Besides, you will have great help here too!!

Are you having any issues with the device?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind it rooted but the root that was put on there was some metropcs root so they can use this phone with them. I am unable to use it with anybody, even metropcs now. So I figured just unroot but all the research I've done goes into dead ends.

Now I stand with the phone just booting straight into hboot. I have attempted to put ruu through my computer and also mounted my sd card with a ruu and a su zip thingy I got from someone else's forum. It says it loads and completes but then just goes into hboot again.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind it rooted but the root that was put on there was some metropcs root so they can use this phone with them. I am unable to use it with anybody, even metropcs now. So I figured just unroot but all the research I've done goes into dead ends.

Now I stand with the phone just booting straight into hboot. I have attempted to put ruu through my computer and also mounted my sd card with a ruu and a su zip thingy I got from someone else's forum. It says it loads and completes but then just goes into hboot again.

Ah, I understand:)
I'll try to explain this the best I can.
Root privileges are basically the ability to access all the file structures in the device and change them if you want....
Someone "flashed" the phone to metropcs like you said but has nothing to do with root.
If you want to use it with metro, you still can but we need to get the operating system (called a rom) back onto the phone.
Some roms are built for certain carriers such as metro so everything works such as sms, mms, gps etc.
Do you need to use the phone with metro, or another carrier?

Also, if you can only get into bootloader (also called H-boot) screen, please post back here everything that is written on that screen.

There is an option in bootloader to go into recovery. Try to choose that option and post back here what happens and what recovery you have.:)

Upvote 0
I greatly appreciate the help, I want to use the phone on ting. I understand now what flashing and roots/Roms are, so I guess the question is which rom am I to put on here? Am I right to assume I use ruu? If so I have downloaded many different ruus for supersonic sprint but they all come back with error 140 wrong bootloader. I read that I might have to downgrade but I can't seem to do that since I don't have a os in the first place.

Here's the info you requested
**unlocked**
Supersonic evt2-3 ship S-ON
Hboot-2.18.0001
Microp-041f
Touch panel-atmelc03_16ac
Radio-2.15.00.12.19

I can go into recovery and I don't know what this one is called but it says "android system recovery" on the top with htc logo in the middle and at the bottom is says "build: RA-supersonic-v2.3"

Upvote 0
ok, it appears you have AmonRa recovery. Which is a very good custom recovery:)

Looks like this?:
6a00d83451c9ec69e2014e864068e2970d-pi.jpg

Instead of doing an ruu, let me find a rom that we can have you flash.
I would suggest getting rid of all those ruu's on the sd card, because every time you boot into the bootloader, it will scan for those files.

What we will try is this. Download a rom and put it on the sd card. We'll boot into bootloader, then recovery. Recovery is where we will flash the rom. Then at least you will get a phone that will boot up. Then, once the phone is functioning, you can have it flashed to Ting.
Sound good? :)

Or, if you desire, we can go thru the unroot process...no worries, either way you want. ;)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I have been trying several different ROMs today, latest one I tried was MIKg and I do now have a ROM on the phone, but the damn thing is still flashed to MetroPCS. Whats the next step

Sorry for the late reply, I fell asleep:(
Now that you have MikG, is your phone functioning albeit still on Metro?

If so, I'm not familiar with flashing phones to different carriers, but can you bring it to Ting to have them flash it over to them?
See this thread:
http://androidforums.com/ting/786515-byod-so-easy.html
and this:
https://ting.com/r/z4pf2g16oj3
You can also pm Kate, one of our members here who knows about Ting.

Reactions: kate and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I greatly appreciate the help, I want to use the phone on ting. I understand now what flashing and roots/Roms are, so I guess the question is which rom am I to put on here?

To activate a phone with Ting it has to have a stock Sprint ROM installed. I've read on their forums it's sometimes OK for it to be rooted as long as the ROM is stock Sprint, but that can vary depending on your phone. After Ting activates the phone you can root and put a custom ROM on it.

Ting custom ROM / Hacks forum

Read the reply from Andrew regarding root:
https://help.ting.com/entries/23987161-Can-you-root-your-phone-and-still-use-it-on-Ting-

You can email Ting and ask if they now how to correct your phone - help@ting.com

If you do join Ting, the link in my signature gets you $25 off.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Its still with Metropcs, ive been trying to clear carrier setting all last night, but kept getting ESLP errors so I gave up. Found a forum on XDA that gives step by step on how to switch over the carrier since the simple ## codes wont work. Ive asked ting about this, they said the phone is rooted somehow with metro, that's where they left me. Ill check out the links provided and attempt to go to ting with MIKg. If I cant, anyone know of the stock ROM I can use?

Upvote 0
Im going to try the firstlink, and then the unrooted one file in that link.

The XDA site seemed to help, but I think my ROM is stopping me from clearing the carrier setting with ##3282#, Its giving me a ESPT force close and when It doesn't it just crashes. So lets see if this stock ROM works.

Upvote 0
Im starting to think this phone is not worth the time, the sh!t its giving me...

I have a stock sprint ROM on it now, updated the software, was able to clear the carrier settings, it no longer says the Metropcs number or the guys metro ID, but it still wont activate to Ting, its supposed to do hands free activation but it fails, I am unable to update Profile or PRL, all fail with same error code.

Im going to attempt to call sprint and metro again, Im thinking its still active with Metropcs and I need metro to deactivate it?

Upvote 0
but it still wont activate to Ting, its supposed to do hands free activation but it fails, I am unable to update Profile or PRL, all fail with same error code.

I'm not sure what you have or haven't done, so here are some steps:

1. Activate the phone here (must be logged in).
2. Verify it shows up on your device settings here (must be logged in).
3. Follow these instructions to complete activation: Ting - Activate Your HTC Device
Note: you need your MSL number - how to find your MSL number (the MSL will also be in the email they sent you after completing the above steps).

You could also contact them and see if they know how to solve the error code you are getting. If you do be sure to mention it had a custom ROM and you returned it to stock - that might be the issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones