• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me. How do I make phone stop asking for SIM card?

Hello everyone. I like to use old android phones as media players. In this case I have a Sony Xperia E1 that I bought used for super cheap. I play music files on it and use the FM radio.

When I start it up, it always asks for a SIM network unlock pin. I click "dismiss" and then it asks me to select
"language" Can someone tell me how I could possibly deactivate this and just go straight to using the phone?

Thanks for your time.

I believe that pop-up/ toast message is part of the programming of the "System UI" app and a privileged app. If your device was rooted with countom recovery, Xposed framwork, Xposed installer and running an Xposed model called "Hide Missing Sim" , them maybe. I wouldn't try this route just for eliminating a pop-up. It's to risky with and offers a slim chance of success.

Screenshot_2020-05-25-18-44-56.png

If you'r willing to risk a few bucks, maybe buying a new sim card for your Sony Xperia E1 will solve the issue. The key word is "MAYBE".
:)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Sony-...812653?hash=item28945cf82d:g:4hEAAOSwT4lWRGos

Upvote 0
Put it in Airplane mode.

You will probably need to turn Wi-Fi and/or bluetooth back on, but the indication and notification will go away.

Just leave it in airplane mode all the time.

I do this with 4 out of 5 of my Android devices.
Hello. That didn't work. The notification only happens on start up. But I have to go through this every time I turn the phone on again. I don't want to always leave it one due to being such an old phone with a 6 or 7 year old battery.

Upvote 0
That sucks.
It always did the trick for all 3 of my ZTE phones, and one ancient Samsung Prevail.

Come to think of it, the Prevail probably doesn't even have that notification at all, hahaha.

One thing you could do, that I did long ago, is go to your carrior and ask if they have any old SIM cards and tell them why you want it.

Back in the day, an old device was only capable of emergency calls without a SIM, and I wanted to still be able to use the camera.

AT&T handed me one for free immediately.

It's work a shot.

Heck, I bet I have 2-3 SIM cards laying around here somewhere.
I pull them out as soon as I get a unit that I am going to use as a media device.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
That sucks.
It always did the trick for all 3 of my ZTE phones, and one ancient Samsung Prevail.

Come to think of it, the Prevail probably doesn't even have that notification at all, hahaha.

One thing you could do, that I did long ago, is go to your carrior and ask if they have any old SIM cards and tell them why you want it.

Back in the day, an old device was only capable of emergency calls without a SIM, and I wanted to still be able to use the camera.

AT&T handed me one for free immediately.

It's work a shot.

Heck, I bet I have 2-3 SIM cards laying around here somewhere.
I pull them out as soon as I get a unit that I am going to use as a media device.

Yes it does. I've had Samsung's so long that I didn't even know the "Airplane Mode" stopped the "no sim" notification. Not only do I meet cool people but I'm always learning new things. Thank you @puppykickr :)

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Just inserting a SIM would most likely only change the notification to an 'invalid SIM' notification, because the device is still seeing towers but the SIM card is not activated.

This is why on my devices the notifications cease when airplane mode is active.

That is why it seems strange that your device is still giving a SIM notification when in airplane mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones