• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me out guys: iPhone 4 vs SGS

htchoicy

Lurker
Jul 1, 2010
Hey Guys,

I'm due for a contract renewal in October. I live in Australia and never have owned a smartphone before.

I've been balancing my options between the SGS and the iPhone 4 for the last couple of weeks since their respective announcements.

Ultimately I was leaning towards the iPhone 4 for a couple of reasons.

1. The Trend Factor

- I know this one is silly but nonetheless it somehow seems to come into the equation.

2. AppStore

- I have been reading up on Pros and Cons about the Android Marketplace and it seems yet the iPhone has the upper hand in this regard (number of apps, quality of apps, more and better games)

3. Gyroscope

- I've seen videos of this in action on the iPhone 4 and it does seem to work quite great and does seem to open up a whole new world of mobile gaming experience.

4. Jailbreak

- Many of the inherent deficiencies of the Apple's firmware can indeed be overcome by jailbreaking your iPhone (e.g. iMobileCinema lets you play and stream flash videos, customizable UI).

5. Design

- Nothing that I need to add hear I guess. I just like the design of the new iPhone better than the SGS

and then I see this offer on Optus (an Australian carrier for those that don't know)

AUD$59 plan for 24 months (approx USD$54 a month), $0 upfront for handset, unlimited facebook twitter youtube and 1gb of free data each month???

Assuming that an iPhone is going to cost AUD$20 more per month for a similar package (based on 3GS plans when they were first released in Australia).

Over 24months, that means I would have to spend $480 more on the iPhone that I would with the SGS.

Help me out guys.. $480.. worth it?

Any previous iPhone fanboys who have been now 'converted' after using the SGS or an android device?

Cheers

1. Cannot argue with you about the trend factor. If that means anything to you when buying a phone, then you need to rethink your life. Not trying to be mean, but come on...

2. Iphone does have a larger appstore than Android. I have never had an issue wanting an app that didn't exist on the Android market. If you have never had a smart phone before, then you have nothing to miss anyways.

3. I'm not sure about the regular SGS but the version going to sprint (Epic 4g) has a 6 point accelerometer which works the same way.

4. Yes, you can jailbreak an iphone to do more than Apple allows, but you can do more with Android without even having to root. If you choose to root, then you get even more options.

5. If that is your preference, then nothing anyone else can say will change your mind.

As for price, that's your call. For me it would be absurd to spend almost $500 more for one phone over another when either option is more than I've ever had before. With either option you will not even scratch the surface of what they're capable of before it will be time to replace it.

Upvote 0
1.It's your call.
2.Apple definitely has the upper hand here due to its age.
3.SGS has it as well but I am not sure how it will work out for the apps since the developers are not gonna add complication just for SGS
4.If you have not used a smartphone before you are not going to miss anything.
5.I would say SGS looks like older iphones just bigger.

The price is ouch!!
How does the coverage compare? (I am assuming they are from different providers)
My point:
If you are not tech savvy and just want a phone that does its job, get the iphone.
If you are tech savvy OR like to explore a lot AND/OR need a larger screen, get SGS.

Upvote 0
If you use mostly for entertainment and gaming, buy iPhone.
If you need professional phone which u can mod the sh1t out of, pick Android.

I traded from iPhone to Android few weeks ago (to Galaxy S) and I'm loving it. Even with JB iPhone is so restricted it's stupid and pain in the ass to use in the long run. I will consider iPhone when they allow devs more APIs. Yeah yeah, I know, not gonna happen.

The only thing i'd take from iPhone to this, is the design - with antenna fix, obv.

Upvote 0
Get the iphone if you're a regular joe, works brilliantly under most normal circumstances, connects to wifi easily, android doesn't support wpa enterprise, so that rules out most uni and office wifi connections, and on the sgs, wifi is a little troublesome, on the iphone, you don't even have to think about this!
Android market v apps store - anything over 10000 apps is too much anyway! So that's a moot point for your consideration
so far, i'm happy with my sgs, but having used iphone 3gs previously, you realise how idiot proof apple has made things and the iphone really is a pretty good quality pro
duct, both hardware wise and software wise.
Ps. I am not a apple fanboi!

Upvote 0
In all seriousness: If you want a computer in your pocket, go SGS. If you want something that works more like an appliance, go iPhone.

You have a LOT more freedom and flexibility with Android. SGS supports 14 BT profiles out of the box and can be made to support all profiles, whereas iOS devices only have 5, I.E. iOS devices can't print over BT right now and will only be able to when Apple allows it.

On the flip side of the coin, that much flexibility means some things have rough edges. Not everything of course, but definitely some things.

We can't answer this for you and really this is what will determine your choice. So what do YOU want more? Freedom and Exposed or Jailed and Safe?

Now just because you are exposed doesn't mean you are in constant danger, but you need to be aware. Likewise, just because you are constantly being monitored doesn't mean you can't get shanked.

Upvote 0
The choice on the SGS isnt that obvious..
Your considerations are pretty stupid, however you should on the following:
4 inch VS 3.5 inch screen size
48GB in total VS 32GB storage
iOS VS android (print over BT? really? who care)
Iphone problems VS SGS problems (antenna, proximity ... VS wifi, the fact that its belong to samsung ...)
The app store - say what you want but the iphone has much more useful applications
Iphone games VS android games
developers - as I sees it, it will take at list 2-3 years until android come close to the iphone mass.
Popularity - what I mean by that is the more popularity the phone the more developing, accessories, support, knowledge on the device over the internet etc.. it will have.

Thats it I think. Go over this subjects and make your decision.

Upvote 0
Ok, so i've just got a SGS yesterday - I work on a IT support desk, so i've also had a fair go with a number of iPhone 4s' (+3GS). TBH, I think that the iPhone4 is a brilliantly designed piece of kit, and I like the fact it just works, along with it feeling solid.

The SGS I now own is great, and although it feels less 'built' (plastic body vs iPhone glass and metal), tbh, the functions are all the same as the iPhone 4. I agree with the above posts - even after a few hours I can see how the android platform feels more open, and I can almost guarantee that when apple have long ditched proper support of the current iPhone, there will be a thriving community of people willing to help update + support the SGS.

I also have to say that the iPhone is unbelievably overpriced. I got my SGS on an upgrade offer from Orange UK; the handset cost me

Upvote 0
Ok, so i've just got a SGS yesterday - I work on a IT support desk, so i've also had a fair go with a number of iPhone 4s' (+3GS). TBH, I think that the iPhone4 is a brilliantly designed piece of kit, and I like the fact it just works, along with it feeling solid.

The SGS I now own is great, and although it feels less 'built' (plastic body vs iPhone glass and metal), tbh, the functions are all the same as the iPhone 4. I agree with the above posts - even after a few hours I can see how the android platform feels more open, and I can almost guarantee that when apple have long ditched proper support of the current iPhone, there will be a thriving community of people willing to help update + support the SGS.

I also have to say that the iPhone is unbelievably overpriced. I got my SGS on an upgrade offer from Orange UK; the handset cost me

Upvote 0
I've not played any movies on the SGS yet, so I can't judge by that benchmark. But, I'm actually laughing when I write this - the iPhone 4 retina hype is probably the biggest load of >insert word of choice< since they released it! The Retina screen is great, but personally speaking, I see so little difference between both of them it's not worth the hype. Aye, some fanboi will no doubt be able to quote you the differences, and I expect if you put the two of them next to each other and looked hard, yes, the iPhone 4 would be better; but in the real world, where real people live, then it's not that amazing! (man, I'm 22 and sound like my Dad :/ !)

Coming back to the movie benchmark, if you don't have a headache by the time you've watched a full movie on a tiny iPhone / SGS screen, your an android yourself...

Reactions: Evil Peter
Upvote 0
I've not played any movies on the SGS yet, so I can't judge by that benchmark. But, I'm actually laughing when I write this - the iPhone 4 retina hype is probably the biggest load of >insert word of choice< since they released it! The Retina screen is great, but personally speaking, I see so little difference between both of them it's not worth the hype. Aye, some fanboi will no doubt be able to quote you the differences, and I expect if you put the two of them next to each other and looked hard, yes, the iPhone 4 would be better; but in the real world, where real people live, then it's not that amazing! (man, I'm 22 and sound like my Dad :/ !)

Coming back to the movie benchmark, if you don't have a headache by the time you've watched a full movie on a tiny iPhone / SGS screen, your an android yourself...
Thanks for telling about your experience. They have different strengths (great contrast and colors vs high resolution) so it's always interesting to hear how people experience them until I can test that out myself. I'm not that fond of displays that needs to be illuminated by backlight but I of course still have to see the iPhone 4 in real life before I can say for sure what I think about it. Both Apple and Samsung are hyping their new displays quite a lot.

As for movies I've watched movies on my N95 8GB, which only has a 2,5" screen, so I guess I am an android. :D When it comes to movies on SGS and iPhone 4 I'm quite confident the SGS will be clearly better. It has so much better contrast (true black) and more vivid colors, plus that not only is the screen bigger, it has a widescreen ratio which means you won't get huge black borders when you watch movies. The Retina is in a pretty odd (more narrow) aspect ratio so you'll use less of it's smaller screen when you watch movies.

Upvote 0
Ugh... you set yourself up with that "trend" comment. That's the main reason that non-iPhone users hate iPhone users. They use poor consumerism tactics and purchase a phone because it's "cool," "trendy," or "what everyone else is doing."

Keep in mind that the vast majority of iPhone users still think that the term "iPod" is just another word for an mp3 player.

Upvote 0
Ugh... you set yourself up with that "trend" comment. That's the main reason that non-iPhone users hate iPhone users. They use poor consumerism tactics and purchase a phone because it's "cool," "trendy," or "what everyone else is doing."

Keep in mind that the vast majority of iPhone users still think that the term "iPod" is just another word for an mp3 player.

That, and them being sheep. And apple being the greatest duches off all time. Always offering incremential updates of the phone insted of making the best one they can make.

Upvote 0
Well... if you want to buy a product from a company that pretends there is no problem with their phone, and that the users just need to learn how to hold it, buy the iPhone. If you want to buy a product from a company that tells you to buy a silicon case to avoid any antenna problems, buy the iPhone. If you want to buy a product from a company that forces you to use a specific software to be able to communicate with your phone from your computer, choose iPhone. If you want freedom, you know what the right choice is.

Upvote 0
You shouldn't go with the Iphone 4 for any of those reasons.

You should go with the Iphone 4 for the following reasons:

1. Iphone 4 has the highest resolution screen of any smartphone on the market. Some droid phones have a slightly larger 4.3 inch screen but at the cost of a terrible resolution and more battery drain.

2. Iphone 4 has a significantly longer battery life than any of the droid phones. Hands down.

3. Iphone 4's camera takes better pictures than any of the droid phones, due to the Iphone 4's larger image sensor (*Many droid users falsely believe that more megapixels equals better pictures).

4. Iphone 4 will retain its value. Like all iphones, they retain much of their value over time, because they are extremely high quality & long lasting. In two years you will be able to sell your iphone 4 for probably 200 - 300 dollars, as it stands now, the 3G Iphone (about two years old now) sells for between 200-300 dollars, depending on the shape you kept it in.

5. Iphone 4's has spectacular software and OS support, full customization, constant updates, a huge app store, itunes, thousands of free apps, ect ect.
1. Going from 3,5" to 4,3" isn't just slightly larger if you exaggerate to the point where 800x480 resolution is "horrible". If that is horrible, what do you call the 3GS which had a 480x320 resolution? Exaggerations like that just makes your point sound less credible.

Unfortunately the high resolution of the iPhone is balanced by that the screen is smaller than the competitors, the aspect ratio is dumb so movies will be even smaller than on screens with WS ratio (and the bigger black borders will draw power since IPS panels draw the most power when they are black), and it has unimpressive contrast due to using technology that needs backlight so black won't be true black.

As for battery drain, the Super AMOLED is said to be less power consuming than the Retina's IPS display.

2. Since you get lots of sites saying that the iPhone 4 doesn't deliver on it's promises with the battery life I'm in doubt that it will be better than all android phones, let alone significantly better. You can't replace the battery on an iPhone yourself either.

3. The camera looks nice, although from the pictures I've seen it doesn't quite reach the high end Android cameras with xeon flash. Still the iPhone 4 has a good camera.

4. I can get almost as much for my old Nokia N95 8GB here as I would for an iPhone 3G, despite that it came out the year before, so it's not only iPhones that retain value. Then again the N95 already had things like multitasking, which iPhones didn't get until last month ;) (and iPhone 3G is too weak so it still didn't get it). It can of course depend on the market where you live.

5. iOS is good in several ways, but limited in a lot of ways as well (as is the hardware in several cases). App Store is further ahead than all the competitors and that's probably Apple's strongest point. iTunes is a drawback in my opinon. Bloated software that you are forced to use.

The iPhone 4 will likely be a good phone, but one has to remember that you won't be able to use it as widely as you can with other phones.

Upvote 0
i had the iphone 4 for one week and could not wait to get shot off it .. bad move .. got the galaxy and i have not looked back .. apple will take years to catch up on sammy the tech they have in there phones is present day and future .. apple is bragging about video calls i had that years ago on a nec phone in 2002 i think how is apple ground breaking .. they are brainwashers....samsung galaxy s 10/10

Upvote 0
And let me said another thing, most of the phone use is for calls, music, games and movies. where the movie will be converted over itunes instead of direct copy. But the mass and diversity of the games on the iphone is just to great to come close on the android in the next year or two.

All the rest are bullshit

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones