• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me pick a budget phone

tendoboy1984

Feb 14, 2013
Mesa, AZ
I want to switch back to Android from an iPhone SE but don’t want to spend hundreds on a high end phone. I’ve looked on Amazon and found these phones:

ZTE Blade V8 Pro
Moto G5 Plus
Alcatel Idol 5S
Honor 6X

All four have similar specs and fall within my budget of $200-$300. Which would you recommend?

Last edited:
One advantage the Moto G5 Plus & Idol 5S have is carrier compatibility if you ever want to switch. They work on all 4 main US carries and most of their MVNOs.

V8 Pro is GSM only so it wont work on Verizon/Sprint/their MVNOs.

EDITED: Idol 5S also works on CDMA, specs I first checked had GSM only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
According to the Amazon listing the Idol 5S works with Sprint and VZW, too.

With T_Mobile you have to be careful because they use some funky LTE bands so if you choose the wrong model, you could be stuck with 3G/4G service only.

Check out https://willmyphonework.net/ for the specific models.

The other thing I saw was that some of the Amazon deals are subsidized with ads, so if you're okay with popup ads all ofver your lock screen then I guess it could be a good deal. If you want the ad-free version then it's considerably more.

What features are most important to you? Moto phones have always have had great radios but not the best battery performers, and some cameras are not the greatest (but not too shabby either.)

Reactions: kate
Upvote 0
According to the Amazon listing the Idol 5S works with Sprint and VZW, too.

With T_Mobile you have to be careful because they use some funky LTE bands so if you choose the wrong model, you could be stuck with 3G/4G service only.

Check out https://willmyphonework.net/ for the specific models.

The other thing I saw was that some of the Amazon deals are subsidized with ads, so if you're okay with popup ads all ofver your lock screen then I guess it could be a good deal. If you want the ad-free version then it's considerably more.

What features are most important to you? Moto phones have always have had great radios but not the best battery performers, and some cameras are not the greatest (but not too shabby either.)

I wouldn’t mind the ads because I have a Kindle tablet and I deal with the ads just fine. I know the ZTE Blade V8 Pro and Honor 6X aren’t discounted on Amazon Prime, so perhaps the Alcatel and Moto are my best bets.

For features, I want a good camera, USB-C for future proofing and it’s more durable connector, and a decent processor and specs.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thank you for that. I noticed the phones have the following bands:

Alcatel Idol 5S: Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26
Moto G5 Plus: Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26
ZTE Blade V8 Pro: Bands 2, 4, 5, 7, 12

Does this mean the Alcatel and Moto phones will have better coverage with my carrier (T-Mobile) then?
Not necessarily better T-Mobile coverage but as @kate previously made note of, having a wider range of support for different bands means you have a lot more flexibility to change carriers.
Just hypothetically if something like T-Mobile re-locating the closest cell tower or a newly built construction project reducing your coverage should occur, you might find it less of a hassle to just switch carriers than set up a femtocell/cell extender to regain adequate coverage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones