1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help me pick a phone!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Lucidic, May 25, 2011.

1. Lucidic

Lucidic Lurker
    None

May 25, 2011
    Hello Android Forums community. I am making a switch to Verizon (the only carrier to have service where I live) this weekend. I am trying to decide between three phones and I just can't choose. Please help me decide! I will be buying at Best Buy because they will match Amazon's pricing. For the purpose of this debate don't worry about cost because on Amazon all these phones are close in price. Here is what I am thinking so far:

HTC Thunderbolt:
    I do not have 4G here, but I really like the 4.3 inch screen. I have battery life concerns for this device and also concerns about the fact that you cannot manually force it to remain in 3G mode and just not even look for LTE.

HTC Droid Incredible 2:
    This has basically everything I want except the 4.3 inch screen. I also like the fact that it is a world phone. I don't travel internationally often but when I do it is nice to be able to pop in a local SIM card.

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play:
    I am a gamer. I really like the idea of a gamer's phone. I really wish Nintendo would make one of these. I also really love the vanilla gingerbread. The downsides are only a 4 inch screen and the thickness. It is not TOO thick but it is significantly thicker than the other two. Also the camera is not quite as good but that is minor.

I have played with all three phones and I like them all, but all three have pros and cons to them. All three have all of the things I consider necessary in my next phone purchase. Please do not recommend other options. I have spent many hours looking at options and it is 100% narrowed down to these three.

Thank you for your input!

Advertisement

2. Jedii

Jedii Android Expert
    None

May 4, 2010
    Analyst
    Arkansas
    I'm at work, so I don't have much time. But I would choose the Thunderbolt. Heres why:

1. You'll eventually be LTE (hopefully)
    2. The battery isnt bad if you manage properly outside of LTE.
    3. It has a FAST processor (for not being dual) and you'll be able to game just fine.
    4. You mentioned 4.3" several times....This is perfect for you.

These of course are my opinions, and perhaps i can offer more later.

3. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I agree, I'd choose Thunderbolt too.

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

Jul 7, 2010
    I would recommend the Play for you. It might be thicker, but it's basically a handheld console, which IMO, should be thicker than the average phone.

Also, check this out:
    Sony Ericsson's Android bootloader unlocking site goes live, modders rejoice -- Engadget

That's a tool to self-root your phone essentially. It's actually quite amazing that Sony is being so open about the phone. Very unlike them. Not sure if you're into the whole rooting scene, but that would be a plus for me.

I also like 4.3" screens, but 4" is not that bad.

5. Lucidic

Lucidic Lurker
    None

May 25, 2011
    Thank you for the advice so far!

I almost got really excited when I read that the Play is free this Friday... then I realized it was just in Canada. That would have made the decision for me.

If I knew that the Play was going to be well supported I would get it but there are no guarantees right now. I want it to be successful, so by that argument I should buy one, but then if it doesn't get any good developer support I lose out.

The Thunderbolt or Incredible 2 are sure to please me but there is a possibility that the Play will please me more (or much less). With the 4g, my area is pretty much guaranteed to not have it before I am eligible for an upgrade.