1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help me pick a smartphone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ThinBlue, Mar 31, 2019.

1. ThinBlue

ThinBlue Lurker

Hey.

I hope I'm posting in the right section, if not - sorry.

I'm looking to buy an android phone. I've had two of them before and since I was on a tight budget back then, they weren't exactly the top of their class, with both being Xperia phones. I was frustrated by how choppy the system seemed and when my GF bought herself a iPhone 5S, I switched brands immediately.

Now after 4 years, I'm considering going android again, but I'd really appreciate your help with picking the right one for me.

I work long shifts and I need real quick access to multiple phone features, meaning battery life and fast system are my top priority. I'm willing to spend up to $450 - or €400. I'd also appreciate NFC, as paying by phone sounds really useful to me.

I'd prefer a phone with a 3,5mm jack, but I'm willing to get over this.

Any tips? Should I reconsider? Thanks for all the help, fellas.

2. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Check out Moto and Nokia phones, but mid range phones wont have the speed of flagships.

European versions of Moto 7, Moto 7+ and Moto 7 Power have NFC, US versions don't for some reason. Moto 7 Power has a large 5000mAh battery but lower specs then the other Motos. Last years Moto 6 phones will be cheaper.

Nokia 6.1, 7.1, and 8.1 look like they will work for you.

Could also look at older flagships like the Galaxy S8 or 1st gen Pixel (2nd gen Pixel removed the headphone jack) that are cheaper now.

3. ThinBlue

ThinBlue Lurker

Thanks for responding, Kate.

I've looked at all the phones you've suggested and I do find some quite appealing. In terms of manafacturer overlay - how do the Moto and Nokia phones fare?

Also, I've taken a look at OnePlus 6 and some of the Xiaomi phones - do you have an opinion on these?

Thanks again.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I think Moto are quite light on manufacturer overlay. Nokia's mostly (all?) run Android One, so no overlay at all (just a few Google apps). As a consequence Nokia tend to be amongst the best OEMs for updates - you can see their current update status for different models here.

5. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

I've used Motorola devices in the past without any issues, great product

tube517 and Jfalls63 like this.
  6. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Not as familiar with Xiaomi, but if the OnePlus 6 is now under your price point it's another good option.

Yep, basically stock Android with a little extra.

Dannydet, ThinBlue and Jfalls63 like this.
  7. ThinBlue

ThinBlue Lurker

Alright, I might be closing in, just a few final questions.

What should I expect from these phones? I mean, some of them have been released two years ago and people have plenty of experience with them. My concern is which phones tend to keep their performance over long-time use. When I bought the 5S, it was swift, clean, but now after three years, it's unbearably slow.

If you were to pick between Nokia 8.1, Moto G7+, Pixel 1/2, or the OnePlus 6, which would you personally pick?

Thank you guys, you've been very helpful.

tube517, Dannydet and dontpanicbobby like this.