• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me pick between Cliq and Mytouch 3G

Cliq or MyTouch?

• Cliq

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • MyTouch 3G

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

mbstrlbstr

Lurker
Feb 19, 2010
In the next week or so I am going to be upgrading to an android phone through T-Mobile in the US. I have already researched the phones a little bit, and ignoring pricing, I am down to the Cliq and the MyTouch 3g. I would love a little help picking between the two. Right now I am leaning towards the Cliq.

Things to consider:
I will be using it for work a lot, so lots of emails, calendars, and contacts to manage.

Because I've been typing a lot, I thought I would want a slide out keyboard, but how responsive is the MyTouch? And does Swype totally replace the android keyboard, I've heard good reviews of it.

Which phone has better performance? I believe the Cliq has better hardware, but does blur slow it down much? (Side note - how does blur handle linkes in the apps? Like if a twitter friend sends a shortlink to a Youtube video, what happens?)

Through searching different forums and stuff, I've gotten the understanding that because the Cliq is still 1.5 the marketplace is significantly gimped? What major apps don't run on the Cliq that will run on the MyTouch? (Layers, Goggles, Google GPS voice, etc?)
I've also read rumors about the upcoming update to the Cliq; will this fix most of the issues?

Also if anyone can attest to the sturdiness of the different phones, I'd like to know. I hate getting a phone, and then some plastic part breaks right after 30 days is up.

Thanks!

I have the MyTouch and have been very happy with it. The only thing I can say about the Cliq, by virtue of it still using 1.5, is that you won't be able to use Google Maps Navigation (which is only available for 1.6 and up), and which I consider essential. But if the Cliq is getting upgraded to 2.x sometime soon, that wouldn't be an issue.

The only problem I have with the virtual keyboard is that it takes up room on the screen, obviously. However, Swype is slicker'n snot and I don't think I'd give it up for a physical keyboard.

Upvote 0
I actually had both. I preordered the Cliq when it was just coming out..returned it within 14 days. The keyboard is okay but over all the phone fells cheap. OS was fine and Motoblur was just a fancy app. The phone is a bit big too (due to physical keyboard).

Skip months ahead and now I have the MyTouch 3G w/ 3.5mm jack. Honestly this phone fells finished. Screen is gorgeous (not as much as other phones), it seems to handle things b etter (multi-tasking, etc). Now the Swype input is a god send, I honestly have tested out speed times I can type - With Swype it was faster than my qwerty keyboard and pretty damn accurate. I ended up upgrading my wife's phone to a MyTouch and she loves it.

Upvote 0
I bought 2 Cliq's for my wife and i, and exchanged them both for the myTouch 3.5mm. Both Motos had touchscreen issues and to me felt cheap. Creeking and rattling in less than 2 weeks. MotoBlur is too time consuming for me (really prefer "vanilla" android). When Motorola is working on Blur it can render your phone useless till they finish or just remove some funtionality just depends on what they're doing with the system. I couldn't sign into Blur for a few hours when i 1st got my phone due to maintenance so i had a brick till they finished. I really like Swype over the Cliq's physical keyboard. All in all i truly like the myTouch over the Cliq in just about every way. Besides updates come easier with no proprietary UI to slow down the process. Just 1 guy's opinion...

Upvote 0
i had a mytouch.. its a g1 with no keyboard.. the touch is ok...the virtual keyboard is not accurate enough for me sinse I have big hands... the slide keyboard is better for me..
The cliq is just bad ass! Moto blur is so kick ass and all the updates news face book email is kicking!! It all depends what you want.. I personally prefer the cliq. Now if I was going to get another phone id get a nexus one:)

Upvote 0
At this point, the rumor is that the cliq is getting the 2.0 or 2.1 today or in a few days, so that's a biggie. The most important thing in my opinion is the battery life. Mytouch will last longer compared to the cliq which will constantly use your wi-fi or your 3g and drain it if your surfing the web and/or if you have your motorblur on all the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones