1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help me pick my next phone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by riverboat2001, Jun 25, 2013.

1. riverboat2001

riverboat2001 Well-Known Member

Looking for a smaller phone with best camera.
    (prefer minimal bloatware and a rooting community)

I currently have a Samsung Google Nexus, which i think is a great phone, however it's time for a change. There are some great phones out there, but they all seem to be getting bigger and bigger, being a female with smallish hands I really don't want to get one of these.
    My main hobby is photography, so this is important to me on a phone too.

I don't play games or watch movies on my phone, but i do run a lot of apps.
    And i like to listen to music on my phone.

I've heard of the HTC One mini, and it sounds like a good phone, but the camera specs don't sound that great.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

If the camera is your main concern, you might want to wait a couple of weeks to see what Nokia announces: rumour (aka LOTS of leaks) has it that they're bringing the camera from their PureView to their Windows phones.

The PureView has what is indisputably the best camera on any phone, ever. It uses a bigger light sensor than on any other phone and also has 41MPs (not that this is any way to judge a camera). It also has all sorts of clever stuff to steady images and videos and lots of other camera-related goodies that normally only come on dedicated cameras.

Alternatively, the best camera on an Android is the HTC One which also uses a somewhat bigger sensor than on most other phones (though not up with the PureView). Unfortunately, it is a bit bigger than you want ..

riverboat2001 likes this.
  3. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

Gamaxy S4 mini has an 8mp camera and a dual core.

I know that the Nokia's have great camera specs. But then you have to believe in Windows Phone and Nokia. I was a dedicated Nokia customer for over a decade and my old boss (from Macromedia) is the current CEO of Nokia - I wouldn't touch a Nokia today.

4. riverboat2001

riverboat2001 Well-Known Member

Just read about the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, sounds very interesting.

Got badly burned by my last Nokia phone (N97) and love Androids flexibility.

5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Nobody knows what the One Mini's camera will be like, as it's not been released (or even announced) yet. You can't tell from a spec sheet - that will tell you the number of Mpix, but nothing about sensor quality, lens quality or image processing software, all of which matter more for image quality.

What I would say for cameras is look at samples taken with them rather than spec sheets. Look at a range of reviews, and ideally pictures real users have taken. If you look in the device forums here you'll often find threads discussing just this.

riverboat2001 likes this.
  6. Artemidza777

Artemidza777 Lurker

Galaxy s 4 mini is the best thing for you. It has great camera and small size.