1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help me please. Bootstrap back up issue

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pandawok56, May 7, 2011.

1. pandawok56

pandawok56 Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    I'm new to these forums so I'm not really sure if this is a known problem but I'll give you guys a little background of what lead to my issue.

So I rooted my Droid X last night using SuperOneClick and worked fine. Downloaded a bunch of root apps including ROM Manager and Bootstrap. I backed up my phone using bootstrap perfectly fine and everything was working good until this afternoon when I did another backup after getting rid of a few old unused apps. During the back up process, my phone crashes and goes into the reboot screen. It stayed on the M logo for a good half hour. I finally pulled the battery and loaded into recovery mode. I attempted to restore my backup from the previous night multiple times but it kept freezing in the middle of the process. After several battery pulls (I know not a very good idea but i didn't know what else to do) my X finally turned on normally but it was like a brand new phone. I don't know much about the backup process but from what I've read, my phone is supposed to be just like how it was, now restored.

I've linked my google account so I can get everything back, my photos/videos are still there and from the apps that I've tried to use, they're like the way they were (haven't tried any games yet because theyre still downloading).

However I'm tempted to try another attempt at loading my back up now that I'm home but is it a good idea? Or is linking google accounts the way bootstrap backs up apps? My phone is currently still downloading all my old apps that i got off the marketplace so I might just wait until thats finished, then maybe think about.

Thanks so much for the help :)

Advertisement

2. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    OK, so just to get it straight. You:
    Used Droid X bootstrap to reboot your phone into Clockwork Mod Recovery
    Scrolled to backup and restore
    Created a nandroid backup
    Decided you wanted to restore a nandroid backup so you booted back into CWM using bootstrap.
    You went back to back up and restore and you chose nandroid restore.
    Then you told the phone to restart and you were stuck on the M logo (bootloop)?

Are you on Froyo (came with the phone) or did you upgrade to a Gingerbread version?

3. pandawok56

pandawok56 Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    You have most of it right. I don't remember my exact actions, but yes
    -I used bootstrap for the X to create a FIRST back up last night which worked fine.
    -Then today i decided to make a SECOND back up because I deleted a bunch of apps and bloatware however my phone crashed and booted to the M logo and became stuck in a bootloop.
    -Did a battery pull and went into the recovery menu.
    -Restored the FIRST back up but my X constantly froze in the middle of the process.
    -I pulled my battery after waiting a while and repeated the above step.
    -After several frezzes and battery pulls, I rebooted normally through the recovery menu.
    -After my phone booted, I found it to be like it was right out of the box, except for the fact its still rooted.
    -After linking my gmail account I re-downloaded most of my apps i got through the marketplace.
    -I just finished dowloading most of my apps of the marketplace but I've found that a majority of them force close shortly after opening.
    -Now I'm attempting a last try at loading the FIRST back up but at this moment it's frozen at the same spot it has been (if it helps, it says its restoring data "event_data@1304586880947.txt")

I think I might try and leave my phone for a little bit and see if it'll just load after a bit. But if not, I might just try to start from scratch.

Also I used SuperOneClick to root my phone. I was running Froyo but by rooting a Droid, that overwrites the stock OS with a different one right? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm new to rooting, but not new to unlocking devices as a whole (modded wii, cfw on psp and jailbroken several ipods) so I'm not completly clueless lol

4. Aggie12

Aggie12 Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    student
    Planet Earth
    You had plenty of space on your SD card, yes? and by plenty of space I mean 600+ embees.

5. pandawok56

pandawok56 Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    I'm almost positive I do, but I'm not completly sure because my phone is restoring and I can't check. Why though?

6. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    NYC
    Could be when you removed bloatware you deleted a no-no file. Since you bootlooped right after deleting some files that's the only thing I could guess. There's a thread floating around somewhere about which apps are okay to delete and which aren't. If I were a better forum member and/or less lazy I'd find it and link it for you... but alas, I am neither.

7. pandawok56

pandawok56 Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    I don't think its that because i only removed NFL11 and NFS. The other apps were also games too but off the marketplace.

8. sonofaresiii

sonofaresiii Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2011
    NYC
    Eh, I say just give it another go and see what happens. Could be a ghost in the machine. If it happens again it's a definite issue somewhere, and if you track your steps this time we'll be able to figure it out from there.

edit: p.s., rooting doesn't replace froyo, it just lets you do more things within froyo.

9. Aggie12

Aggie12 Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    student
    Planet Earth
    Because it has to save the back up somewhere and they are HUGE. But now I'm thinking that CWM will tell you that you have no room.

Try uninstalling the bootstrap. then delete /system/bin/hijack and /system/bin/logwrapper

Then rename /system/bin/logwrapper.bin to /system/bin/logwrapper and then reinstall the bootstrapper app and click the top button to bootstrap your system again as if it were the first time.

Deleting those files and renaming removes the bootstrap process. Something may have gone wrong. Get rid of ROM manager as well for the moment.

10. pandawok56

pandawok56 Lurker
    None

May 7, 2011
    I'll try that in a moment. I just rbooted normally and now I;m trying to figure out why none of the apps i download off the marketplace work :(

[EDIT]: I've found out that none of the apps that install, whether from the marketplace or off my SD card, work and always force close almost immediately after opening. Anyone know why this may be?

[EDIT2]: So I've started over, I .sbf my droid back to stock, then I noticed that ONLY Marketplace apps arent able to install. I get the infamous "download unsuccessful" notification, but apps that were installed off my SD card and off the Amazon app store work fine. I thought it might just be an issue with google as this problem apparently happens a lot to random people. But I feel like it probably has something to do with me maybe going back to stock the re-rooting. Could it be because while in stock I went into the marketplace and canceled each re-download of all my apps? (I did this multiple times too earlier when I was trying to figure out why ALL apps forced close).

Sorry if this is all really confusing as I'm rushing because of work, but I would greatly greatly appreciate any help.