1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help me setup email the way i want it (maybe find app)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by demens, Jun 26, 2011.

1. demens

demens Lurker
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    One of the my biggest frustrations of being a new android user is the way email is handled. I've searched and searched and i can not find a way to set things up like i think they should be.

All i want is to have 2 email accounts! I want a count of new messages, a notification and sound on one. And just a notification on the other.

-Gmail. I do not use nor wish to use Gmail.
    -Native phone app. 1st problem is that it you can not setup different notification sounds for separate accounts. If i change the ringer for 1 account, go back to the other and it now has the same ringer! I also dont see a way to show an email count although that is the least important thing.
    -K-9. Different notifications work, but it is refusing to setup my work email. I have to check at work, i think its because we are using exchange 2010 and K-9 says its not compatable. Did not see an option for count either.
    -Improved email app. Set-up works, different notifications work. Count works. Sort of. The widget counts unread emails, but from both accounts. Settings in account are listed under global, so changing 1 changes the other.

Come to think of it, i dont even care about the count, i just want an icon on the home page that changes visually when an email comes it. It can be a number, a color, a star, whatever as long as its noticable. The notification up to is not enough for me.

Some am i crazy? Is there no app that is capable of doing these simple things?

I can achieve more or less what i want if i use multiple apps. Like native email for 1 account and an app for the other. But that seems like a pretty backwards way of doing things. What if i want to add another email, i now need to use another app???

Advertisement

2. Evil.Bonsai

Evil.Bonsai Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    tech stuff
    Austin, TX
    Tasker is probably what you're looking for. It might be able to do that.

3. xSaintias

xSaintias Newbie
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    How did you got about setting up the notification sounds? Did you go to e-mail and Tap the Menu button, Tap more, Tap Settings,Scrolled down to Notification setting and set the tone you want? Or how did you do it?
    Now I know that you said you dont wish to use g-mail but look at this and see if you would be willing to do it to help your k-9 problem...
    Using Gmail with other accounts - Gmail Help
    As far as notification once again i stress gmail because this one is the only one i know of and it uses g-mail: Gmail Unread Count: https://market.android.com/details?id=se.alexanderblom.gmailunreadcount&feature=more_from_developer
    thats the free one
    EDIT: Maybe take a look at this
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflow&feature=search_result

4. demens

demens Lurker
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    I'm probably gonna have to get into gmail. Kind of sucks that its forced on you this way, but i guess its the best solution.

5. xSaintias

xSaintias Newbie
    None

Jun 24, 2011
    yeah.. but gmail isnt really that bad. I always use my g-mail account. plus I just like google in general... Hope i helped you :)