• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me setup email the way i want it (maybe find app)

demens

Lurker
Jun 26, 2011
One of the my biggest frustrations of being a new android user is the way email is handled. I've searched and searched and i can not find a way to set things up like i think they should be.

All i want is to have 2 email accounts! I want a count of new messages, a notification and sound on one. And just a notification on the other.

-Gmail. I do not use nor wish to use Gmail.
-Native phone app. 1st problem is that it you can not setup different notification sounds for separate accounts. If i change the ringer for 1 account, go back to the other and it now has the same ringer! I also dont see a way to show an email count although that is the least important thing.
-K-9. Different notifications work, but it is refusing to setup my work email. I have to check at work, i think its because we are using exchange 2010 and K-9 says its not compatable. Did not see an option for count either.
-Improved email app. Set-up works, different notifications work. Count works. Sort of. The widget counts unread emails, but from both accounts. Settings in account are listed under global, so changing 1 changes the other.

Come to think of it, i dont even care about the count, i just want an icon on the home page that changes visually when an email comes it. It can be a number, a color, a star, whatever as long as its noticable. The notification up to is not enough for me.

Some am i crazy? Is there no app that is capable of doing these simple things?

I can achieve more or less what i want if i use multiple apps. Like native email for 1 account and an app for the other. But that seems like a pretty backwards way of doing things. What if i want to add another email, i now need to use another app???

How did you got about setting up the notification sounds? Did you go to e-mail and Tap the Menu button, Tap more, Tap Settings,Scrolled down to Notification setting and set the tone you want? Or how did you do it?
Now I know that you said you dont wish to use g-mail but look at this and see if you would be willing to do it to help your k-9 problem...
Using Gmail with other accounts - Gmail Help
As far as notification once again i stress gmail because this one is the only one i know of and it uses g-mail: Gmail Unread Count: https://market.android.com/details?id=se.alexanderblom.gmailunreadcount&feature=more_from_developer
thats the free one
EDIT: Maybe take a look at this
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflow&feature=search_result

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones