• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me understand the big deal with 2.0

tmaxey1

Android Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2009
I was in the verizon store at the mall yesterday playing with the Droid and wondering what the big deal with android 2.0 was. I am a newer hero owner that came from a pre and an iphone before that. I was playing with the droid and after using Sense UI it felt so limited.

After using both 1.5 with sense UI and plain 2.0 I really would not want to go to plain 2.0 if it meant losing sense UI. It seems like HTC has won me over with this interface. It seems like buying a Windows mobile phone without TouchFlo3d and having to use base winmobile 6.5.

So i looked at some of the advantages to 2.0 and the only thing i could see is google maps beta with navigation. We have sprint nav free already so it not that major. It also mentions syncing all email to one box. Thats a cool addition.

I love tech and wanted to be blown away by the droid. I am really wanting an iphone killer to come out. So i am rooting for every android phone coming out to be amazing. And it wasnt bad. But if i had an hour to play with 2 phones and it was the droid vs hero i would walk away with the hero.

Now if HTC can just fix our sms/battery issues, bluetooth issues, and for the love of god fix the blurry camera. I'll be set.

I was in the verizon store at the mall yesterday playing with the Droid and wondering what the big deal with android 2.0 was. I am a newer hero owner that came from a pre and an iphone before that. I was playing with the droid and after using Sense UI it felt so limited.

After using both 1.5 with sense UI and plain 2.0 I really would not want to go to plain 2.0 if it meant losing sense UI. It seems like HTC has won me over with this interface. It seems like buying a Windows mobile phone without TouchFlo3d and having to use base winmobile 6.5.

So i looked at some of the advantages to 2.0 and the only thing i could see is google maps beta with navigation. We have sprint nav free already so it not that major. It also mentions syncing all email to one box. Thats a cool addition.

I love tech and wanted to be blown away by the droid. I am really wanting an iphone killer to come out. So i am rooting for every android phone coming out to be amazing. And it wasnt bad. But if i had an hour to play with 2 phones and it was the droid vs hero i would walk away with the hero.

Now if HTC can just fix our sms/battery issues, bluetooth issues, and for the love of god fix the blurry camera. I'll be set.
I agree tmaxey1. HTC Sence is great. The Hero Jams!

GEEKMAN AKA t1jordan

Upvote 0
I think the OP is looking at this all the wrong way. You seem to be basing your decision off the fact that ones wearing makeup (Sense UI) so it look prettier.

You can do just about everything on your standard Android that you can do with Sense. Its just not that way out of the box, and you dont have annoying extra widgets laying around taking up space.

The only things you really have are multi-touch, facebook integration, Flash Lite (not really reliable) over a stock droid. Flash 10.1 will be here next year. I thought 2.0 added facebook integration. So that leaves multi-touch. Which some say is in 2.0, just not active.

Theres also optimization of Android 2.0 to allow for better performance.

Upvote 0
Stop smoking the Hero crack and be realistic. I've played with Droid and I'm a Hero owner and the Droid is VASTLY superior. The speed and lack of lag alone would have made for an instant switch, if Sprint had Droid.

Yea, I believe The Hero is the best android device out there right now with the intuitive sense UI, its just amazing, I spend like 30 mins at work re-working my whole scene, I love it. I'm hoping that the 2.0 will fix a lot of the bugs.

Upvote 0
Stop smoking the Hero crack and be realistic. I've played with Droid and I'm a Hero owner and the Droid is VASTLY superior. The speed and lack of lag alone would have made for an instant switch, if Sprint had Droid.

Why does he/she have to be smoking Hero crack? Is it possible that he/she prefers the Hero (and SenseUI) and thinks it's better, while you feel the Droid is better? There is a lot that goes into the overall user experience of a smart phone. The feel in one's had, the look of the device, the ease of use, the beauty of the interface, and yes, the performance. I only played with the Droid for a few minutes yesterday, but it is a bit too bulky for me. And I like the SenseUI experience better. The accelerometer was amazingly quick though. But overall, I prefer the Hero (for now lol). Hopefully, the next couple updates will address the Hero's issues.

Upvote 0
LOL. I love the loyalties.

HTC is now the "old man" in the Android world. They have made several devices, and their Sense UI is bar none the best so far.

Sense will be available on 2.0 soon, so Hero owners will have the best of both worlds.

2.0 is better "in general" because of what it can do that older versions can't. Namely:
1) Multi-touch (though the Hero has it too, there's no Developer API available yet)
2) Bluetooth APIs (wait for some of the neat stuff to come out!)

As for the Droid, it has fully enabled multi-touch, I'm working with it right now, and it's awesome. The only thing that's lacking is multi-touch in the Google apps (browser, maps, etc.) and this isn't for technical reasons, it's for legal reasons. Those apps will have MT in Europe.

As far as hardware goes, the Droid is clearly a superior phone. The CPU is much faster (and the device feels amazingly so), the screen has 2 1/2 times as many pixels. It has a [rather bla] keyboard.

For esthetics, everybody loges the Hero (and Eris) and how they fit in your hand.

It Motorola keeps the 'raw power' edge, they'll give HTC a run for their money once they work on their asthetics a bit more. But then, HTC promises the Passion...

Upvote 0
How about the fact that 1.6 and 2.0 (which you mention) are more efficient and will run smoother? 1.5 only works on cdma because of a patch.

Sprint nav isn't all that. It doesn't seem to be tied in to web searches and such. So unless you're searching within nav you can't have whatever you found automatically brought up in nav. I would hope Google will allow web searched adrs to be sent to Google Nav.

And as much as Sense is loved, it is just a skin. 3rd party developers make similar skins that allow that kind of customization of the UI. I'm not saying it's not slick, but it's just one aspect of the phone that happens to be mimicked by other programs. Kind of the beauty of the OS.

Upvote 0
Much as I like the Hero, the Droid is a better device hands down. Granted stock Android is a little boring after using Sense UI there would still be no hesitation in getting one for me lol. Now it's not a Iphone killer simply because nothing ever kills anything. Iphone certainly didn't kill Palm/WinMo devices, and Iphone doesn't kill Android or vice versa. No matter what people are going to use the Iphone if they want to, just like their going to use a Android phone, a Palm, and a WinMo. But seriously if I could I'd get the Droid, it does everything it says, and it does it well idk what to say :).

Upvote 0
LOL. I love the loyalties.

HTC is now the "old man" in the Android world. They have made several devices, and their Sense UI is bar none the best so far.

Sense will be available on 2.0 soon, so Hero owners will have the best of both worlds.

2.0 is better "in general" because of what it can do that older versions can't. Namely:
1) Multi-touch (though the Hero has it too, there's no Developer API available yet)
2) Bluetooth APIs (wait for some of the neat stuff to come out!)

As for the Droid, it has fully enabled multi-touch, I'm working with it right now, and it's awesome. The only thing that's lacking is multi-touch in the Google apps (browser, maps, etc.) and this isn't for technical reasons, it's for legal reasons. Those apps will have MT in Europe.

As far as hardware goes, the Droid is clearly a superior phone. The CPU is much faster (and the device feels amazingly so), the screen has 2 1/2 times as many pixels. It has a [rather bla] keyboard.

For esthetics, everybody loges the Hero (and Eris) and how they fit in your hand.

It Motorola keeps the 'raw power' edge, they'll give HTC a run for their money once they work on their asthetics a bit more. But then, HTC promises the Passion...

Nice post Scott. For me, it's not a matter of loyalty since in the end they are just tools/toys. It's more about preference. No device is perfect (for everyone), so one has to come up with the right balance the fits their needs and likes. To this point the Hero strikes that balance for me. But I can also appreciate other phones for what they offer.

Upvote 0
I thought I was the only one. I am a android fan. It doesn't matter which phone or
platform. It always shocks me to see how little kids act when someone has a different opinion than they do. If someone likes the hero over Droid then they do. It doesn't make them fanboys or dumb. It makes them a individual. I too don't like the Droid 2.0 over the hero. The HTC sense UI is just better for me. It has more function in place already that I can use out of the box. It has flash ,it has pinch zoom, longer battery life, has better prices for the phone and monthly plans. For me physical keyboards is not needed and for what I hear its not that much of a good thing for the Droid anyway. And again for me Verizon doesn't work well in my place of business. In fact its the weakest signal strength of all the carriers. But as I said this is for me and my area. You may be different and this doesn't make your choices wrong. We should be more concern about the fact that android is really taken off and I'm happy about that. We can be individuals without being a outcast people.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones