• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me understand the Droid memory...

Eric5964

Nov 8, 2012
Coming from iPhone....

I usually always get the 64 GB version as I have a lot of music/video.

Since the Galaxy Note 2 is only coming with 16 GB now, with the ability to add a micro SD card...how will that work? What goes on the 16 GB and what goes on the card? How big of a card do I need and what is a good price? So should I go 16 GB phone and a 32 GB card, or get a 64 card. Where to get them cheap? Thanks for explaining.

EricE

The internal memory is basically a built in sdcard. You can install apps, add music, videos, and whatever to it. But it also houses the phones critical system files, so from 16gb you really get about 14 or 13, it has to keep the system files on a seperate partition to make sure you don't delete them. As for an extra sdcard it really depends on what you do. I bought a 16gb card from amazon for a nice 4$, works fine like any other card would. But me personally I need more space since a couple apps I like need a large amount of extra files like NOVA and Need for Speed. Photos and videos take a lot out of memory too since its all hd and all.

tl:dr? Get as big a sdcard as you need/want. Internal memory acts like a built in sdcard.

Upvote 0
Coming from iPhone....

Since the Galaxy Note 2 is only coming with 16 GB now, with the ability to add a micro SD card...how will that work? What goes on the 16 GB and what goes on the card? How big of a card do I need and what is a good price? So should I go 16 GB phone and a 32 GB card, or get a 64 card. Where to get them cheap? Thanks for explaining.

EricE

There was a post earlier for a 64gb card for $30.

Upvote 0
Coming from iPhone....

EricE

Technically speaking, you can place whatever you want on the internal storage. Thing is, due to the amount of memory taken up by the system and bloatware, you end up with something in the 10-11gb range (available to use).

What to store on internal storage vs. external storage (e.g. micro SD card). Just to alleviate any confusion on your part, I'd put all pictures (including wallpapers), videos, music, ringtones, alert sounds on the external SD and keep the internal storage dedicated to all the system files, apps, and backup files.

Where to get a microSD for cheap? Well, it depends on what your definition of "cheap" is...LOL. That term is all relative to each person's own financial situation. Best Buy is going to have a Black Friday sale on the 32gb microSDXC (class 10) for $17, if you want to wait for that. I wouldn't doubt if there'll be some sort of great deal on the 64gb microSDXC on black friday or cyber monday as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones