• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help me understand this phone

philboyeee

Nov 3, 2011
in an effort to improve battery life, I installed Juice Defender (which by the way works very well). It stinks that you have to pay for something else to make youe phones battery last. In other efforts to help maintain battery life, I try to close anything I'm not using. When I go into settings>applications>running services, there are several things running that need to be manually turned off. For instance; tethering manager, at&t navigation, Maps, wi-fi sharing, wi-fi sharing manager, and many others. I also have Advanced Task Killer, it does not close most of these items. I also notice that some things (like maps & wi-fi sharing, for instance) need to be closed several times before they actually close - I'm talking 5-10 attempts. Any ideas on how to alleviate some of this?
And also, I will Never use AT&T Navigation - it's just one more way to suck money from you. Is there ANY way to uninstall this?
Thanks,
Phil

if you root your phone you can uninstall any unwanted apps, like the att ones. but really, force closing apps will not improve battery life, if anything it will hurt it. I am personally at 70% right now after being unplugged for 11 hours, with light usage today. i dont use any battery improving app or any task killers. after the update to 2.3.6 the biggest problem seems to be wifi, they fixed a bug with it, but now, it seems to be what is causing android os to be the biggest battery drainer. to solve that, turn off wifi when not using it.

Upvote 0
There's no need to pay for an app to increase battery life. All it does is adjust settings, which you could do yourself. Turn wi-fi off when you're not going to need it, use the task manager to kill apps you don't plan to use for a while, and turn off auto-sync. Also, I rooted with SuperOneClick (really easy, look it up on this forum) and then installed Titanium Backup to uninstall the bloatware. It's smooth sailing after that.

And CrimsonPride, I'm running 2.3.4 and realize now that it's the wi-fi that has been killing my battery. Unplugged at 100%, used it very little throughout the day, and yet it had only 5% by the next morning. With wi-fi off, it's lasted the whole day and the battery icon is nearly full. Does 2.3.6 correct it, or are we stuck with toggling on/off when we need it?

Upvote 0
There's no need to pay for an app to increase battery life. All it does is adjust settings, which you could do yourself. Turn wi-fi off when you're not going to need it, use the task manager to kill apps you don't plan to use for a while, and turn off auto-sync. Also, I rooted with SuperOneClick (really easy, look it up on this forum) and then installed Titanium Backup to uninstall the bloatware. It's smooth sailing after that.

And CrimsonPride, I'm running 2.3.4 and realize now that it's the wi-fi that has been killing my battery. Unplugged at 100%, used it very little throughout the day, and yet it had only 5% by the next morning. With wi-fi off, it's lasted the whole day and the battery icon is nearly full. Does 2.3.6 correct it, or are we stuck with toggling on/off when we need it?

no its actually worse on 2.3.6 if you dont turn the wifi off. i found that out the other day. if you noticed all of the battery life threads, i believe this is the biggest problem. 2.3.6 had a wifi bug fix included in it, and i believe it has led to the generally worse battery life

Upvote 0
What about the WiFi managers? Anybody got experience with them? Some say they use battery themselves, but I don't see how it's not a net gain. The theory is supposed to be, they look at your location, (by tower of course, GPS would use power), and if you are in an area where you have never used WiFi, it kills the radio for you. If you turn it on, it remembers the area, and doesn't autokill it there. Like home or work.

Upvote 0
What about the WiFi managers? Anybody got experience with them? Some say they use battery themselves, but I don't see how it's not a net gain. The theory is supposed to be, they look at your location, (by tower of course, GPS would use power), and if you are in an area where you have never used WiFi, it kills the radio for you. If you turn it on, it remembers the area, and doesn't autokill it there. Like home or work.

Noob here in how android works... but just based on observation of my phone I am not sure this would help any. I have been pretty much only at my home where I have wifi on and in range full time and the battery still drains pretty fast when wifi is on. Why this is I do not know. The only thing I notice is that when I open up the wireless network and wifi settings menu even while it is connected to my wifi it regularly says "Scanning" right next to the icon. Not sure if this eats power or just the act of the wifi being on, I have personally decided to just kill the wifi unless I am actively using my phone until a better update or ROM comes out that fixes this. I know my wifes phone on Froyo doesn't suffer these issues and has far better battery life when in sleep mode and in use than in mines, granted not apples to apples since hers has less powerful hardware but even when comparing to my recent iphone 4 the battery usage is just "off" on my GS2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones