1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help me with my addiction to HTC Sense

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Medion, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    As you can see to the left, I own a Droid Incredible (mods, please don't move this to the Incredible forums, as this will become a general inquiry).

My problem is that sooner or later, if not already, HTC/Verizon will stop updating this phone. My best is that 2.2 is the end of the line for this phone (2.2+New Sense is my guess). I want to be able to continue using new versions of Android. I've tried two recent "Sense-less" ROMS, one of which being Cyanogen Mod.

I like the idea of Cyanogen as it's a ROM that is ported to many phones, is generally up to date, has many great features, and more importantly, is very stable (unless you deal with experimental/nightly builds). However, I'm addicted to a few parts of Sense that I'm hoping you guys could help me find viable alternatives to (paid is ok, but if you have a paid suggestion, please also recommend a free alternative if one exists).

Mail Widget - The differences between the HTC Mail and the Mail program I used on Cyanogen wasn't enough for me to care. However, the mail widget on Sense is outstanding. I can use it to take up a full panel and display my emails in a list. This one isn't a deal-breaker, but if there's a comparable alternative, I'd like to know.

Calendar Widget - The one on Cyanogen is horrible compared to the one on Sense. Anyone know of anything similar? This one is a big deal to me.

Clock/Weather - The Sense clock/weather widget is pretty much famous. You can't think of Sense without thinking of it. The weather animations that accompany it are a nice touch as well. Know of anything similar? I can live without this (on Cyanogen, I just used the default weather widget, and settled for the clock being on the top bar).

Also, my current phone gives me the option to set "Always-On Mobile Data Connection" to off, which saves a TON of battery life without affecting any of the apps I use (I don't get enough mail via Gmail to care if it affects push notification). Cyanogen either doesn't have this option, or has it buried somewhere that I overlooked it. Can anyone point this out if it's there?

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Noted, general inquiry for Android Lounge.

Frisco likes this.
  3. Medion

Medion Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Male
    Auburn, WA
    Greatly appreciated. It's meant to be more a Sense --> Vanilla transition request, and both frameworks span so many phones that putting it into one forum would reduce the input I'm seeking :)

4. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    i love sense too...

on my hero.. i had to use AOSP ROM to get me the speed.
    To get some of the Sense features back, I used Launcher Pro. You can try it for free. but with the paid version you get to use all the widgets that it comes with. It is only $4.

for the clock.. I liked the Sense Analog Clock Widget. I does not have the animation.. but adds other features.

5. Little Green Robot

Little Green Robot Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    When they stop updating it just get the Thunderbolt!

6. brad1601

brad1601 Newbie
    None

Aug 14, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia.
    I too Have just switched my desire to a non-sense rom (oygen), and I know what you mean about the lack of widgets, but I do have a few suggestions,

Firstly the clock is easy, download "beautiful widgets" and you won't look back. I was even using this over the standard sense clock back when I still had the sense clock.

as far as calender goes I'm currently using one called "s2 calendar widget 2" look for that on the market and give it a shot, its still no where near as good as the sense widget, but its alright for the moment. I too am open to suggestions for a better calendar widget...

I can't help you with the mail widget though as I have just given up on it and just have a shortcut to the gmail app on my home screen now and use that.

hope this helps. :)

7. Ngo93

Ngo93 Android Enthusiast
    None

launcher pro plus & beautiful widgets / fancy widget

8. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    HTC Sense on the Desire Z or Desire HD is a big BIG update from HTC Sense on the EVO or Droid Incredible. I would describe the gap between 2nd and 3rd generation HTC Sense to be much bigger than Android 2.2 is to 2.1.

Unfortunately, HTC Sense isn't part of Android or Open Source. Its HTC's ace in the hole to get you to upgrade phones so its not likely the EVO or Droid Incredible would update to the new Sense.

And yes, its that nice.

9. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert
    None

Aug 25, 2009
    UK
    Me too...I'm an addict. Just upgraded from HTC Hero to HTC Desire HD.

10. WBMc36

WBMc36 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Full time student
    Pittsburgh/Erie
    well if you are rooted there are plenty of sense roms that get great battery life, and there are a few roms with the new sense already.
    As suggested above, Launcher pro plus, and beautiful widgets are the best way to go, totally worth the what like 4$ totall for both of these great apps. From there you have calendar, people widgets, etc from launcher pro, and tons of options with beautiful widgets.