1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help!!!! Might as well have a jitterbug!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rathousecats, May 4, 2012.

1. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    Hello All,

I am all alone out here in Droid land.......alone meaning NOT A CLUE what you guys are talking about. This is so far over my head that I feel a little silly being here, but I don't know what else to do. This is probably a very simple question to most of you, but trust me......it's rocket science to me.

I have a Droid X that is approximately 1.5 years of age. It has not been treated roughly or anything, and it is a certified virgin from roots and all other things that can be done to a Droid phone. :love:

Tried to make a call yesterday and the phone was frozen. Turned it off and turned it back on and got the Motorola Red Eye and the following:

Bootloader
    Err: A5, 70, 00, 00, 23

Battery OK
    OK to Program
    Connect USB
    Data Cable

So I played with it for awhile, taking battery in and out and turning it on and off. Nothing. So this morning it was off to the Verizon store to see if it could be fixed. When I got there, the battery was not charged and was flashing low battery, cannot be programmed. The Verizon salesman told me to let it charge about 15 minutes and then he told me that the phone was corrupted and since I didn't have insurance and the warranty was gone, that it was time for me to upgrade anyway and could he show the pretty blonde girl some new phones?

I declined and brought my phone home and started a little investigating. First thing I learned is that a battery won't charge in bootloader (not THAT blonde after all!!!!). But that is as far as I got. Switched out battery for a charged battery and played with it again.......at one point I got the little green man with a triangle and an exclamation point inside but didn't know what to do with that screen either so I kept playing with the phone.

I am now back to the exact same message that I had when I started (as written above). I am not getting a message that says anything about being corrupt. It is exactly as written above.

Can I bring my phone back to life?

I would so appreciate if any of you could tell me very simply how to do this if it is even possible. Or am I (horrors) truly going to bury my phone prematurely and find a new sidekick? :thinking:

Thanks!!!!!!

Advertisement

2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    Hello and welcome to Android forums. :) Have you tried clearing the cache? Or considered a factory reset and see if that fixes the problem? Let me know. :)

rathousecats likes this.
  3. Soundteq

Soundteq Member
    None

May 1, 2012
    Wait, maybe I'm just doing a poor job at understanding here.. but do you mean "upgrade" as in renew contract and get a new phone for a cheaper price or just simply buy a new phone?

Because if it's upgrade+renew you should just do that (unless you hate your provider and don't plan on using them much longer).

But yeah, most of this stuff is still over my head too. Stick around and read threads and you'll learn a lot of stuff a lot sooner than you'd think you would. Simply browsing might not turn you into a wiz but it'll teach you a lot of neat tricks and such. The first thing that comes to my mind is a factory reset as the above poster mentioned. A reset isn't nearly as bad as it sounds though because all the stuff on your SD card will remain, and if you've backed up any of your stuff with your Google account then you can get all your apps back.

edit-
    Though it's possible that a poorly developed app/an app that isn't really compatible with your phone is the problem.. and reinstalling it post-reset would possibly cause the same problem all over again. Did you install any new apps shortly before this problem began?

rathousecats and Metroid Prime like this.
  4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #
    None

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    The good news is, people have come back from similar situations. The bad news is, you're in for a slightly less than simple road ahead. I'm no Moto expert to be sure, but I belive you will have to SBF back to the proper version of stock by way of RSDlite. Basically, reflash the phone to stock.

As I said, I'm no expert with this phone, but the good folks over at the Droid X forum are exactly that. Therefore, I am moving this thread to that location so you can get the help you need.

rathousecats likes this.
  5. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    OK, the answer is no, but I have no idea how to clean the cache. Stop laughing......no, seriously!!!! I have heard that a factory reset might be my best option, but no, haven't done that either as again, I have no idea how to do that either. I haven't saved anything to gmail......didn't know I was supposed to! And I don't have any apps that couldn't be easily added again. Basically, I was using this phone for the following: calls, texts, camera, Pandora, GPS, and playing Yahtzee and word games while waiting in line. And I also used it as an alarm clock and had an ambient noise for sleeping app. I would also use it periodically for Facebook and email.

So if you think either of those would be helpful, could you direct me to a super easy set of instructions????

Thank you for replying......I don't know how to formally thank you, but will do so if I can figure it out.

6. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    Hi Soundteq, yes, the Verizon salesman wanted me to buy a new phone and sign a new two year contract. That may be what has to happen, but I'd really rather get this phone going again if possible. I am open to trying a factory reset if someone can tell me how to do it......then my contacts would still be on the SD card, right? Would I have to go back to Verizon for that or would it just read them after the reset? And no, I had not installed any new applications recently. I read somewhere that some apps will try to automatically update and cause a problem like this if the update is interrupted. I don't know.......but thank you for taking the time to answer!!!!

7. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    Iowabowtech, thank you for moving me where I need to be. At least I'm in the right place......;) Again, I will happily try whatever I can to get this phone up and running. You know, someone should really write a Droid manual for Dummies. I have no idea what you guys mean when you say "flash" or "root" or any of those things.

I just want my phone to work again......I have numbers stored in contacts that I really need........

8. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

Feb 15, 2012
    Male
    Web Dev
    Texas
    It's okay nobody is laughing at you. :) To do a factory reset just go to Settings> SD & Phone Storage and slide down to Factory Reset. Also, move your contacts to your SD card if you don't want to lose them.
    And back up your apps too. ;)

rathousecats likes this.
  9. Soundteq

Soundteq Member
    None

May 1, 2012
    I'm sure you're quite used to your phone and probably don't want to relearn things over again with a new device.. But with how fast phone tech moves by using a 1.5yr old device you're really missing out on a lot. I just upgraded from a phone that was about as old as yours I believe and I can't get over how much better my new phone is. And again, I'm not too smart with phones, so the improvements offered are things that even people who don't know anything can recognize and appreciate. I'd highly suggest you go ahead and get a newer phone if you're satisfied with Verizon

Your contacts aren't stored on the SD car. They're on the SIM or internal memory. You'd probably lose most/all of your contact but google does a great job of backing them up (without directly asking >.>) and you can do things like sync with Facebook and get a lot of numbers back.
    edit-
    actually I dunno about that last paragraph. That's how it works on ATT. I dunno if verizon has an equivalent of SIM cards or what. It might all be stored on the phone, or it might all be on the SD card. =S

rathousecats likes this.
  10. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    But how can I do those things? My phone is frozen in bootlogger. I watched a video on YouTube that showed how to do a hard reset, but that begs another question......do I remove the SD card before rebooting and if so, how do I do it without damaging the card (as I can't access it through the phone's menu and settings to unmount).

Wow, I'm already getting smarter. Yeah, right!!!!!

11. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    Soundteq, I have no idea. But it's 4:18 a.m. where I am, and I haven't been to sleep. I am ready to calmly proceed downstairs, eat a couple of powered donuts for the heck of it, come back upstairs and get into bed with my Droid. I will then attempt to revive it or watch it take it's last gasp. At that point, I will decide if I am going to sleep or if I may as well stay up and hit the Verizon store first thing. If I lose my courage after the powdered donuts, I will sleep a few hours and check back here and see if any other helpful hints have filtered in before making a rash decision.

This forum is fun.......I may just stick around and learn a few things either way!!!! LOL!!!!!

12. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Inigoes, MD
    My guess is that the upgrade to 621 got messed up. I've heard of that happening to others as well. The good news is that there's a tutorial for how to fix it (SBF):
    http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ad-602-sbf-root-process-updated-9-9-11-a.html
    It's a bit old, so instead of using the 602 SBF file mentioned, use the 621 SBF file:
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [SBF and Update] Original Gingergread 2.3.4 SBF for Droid X MB810 Verizon USA
    You'll want the SBF link, not the update link.
    Also, since you're not rooting, you won't need "Psouza4's 1 Click Root" or "Droid 2 Bootstrapper"

rathousecats likes this.
  13. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    OK.....trying to get through tutorial (thanks for sending it). I have downloaded both 602 and 621 from the file page, but I cannot unzip either file. It's trying to open in Adobe, and it refuses to open the file. AAARRRRGH!!!!!!! So what now? Does anyone know how I can get this file downloaded and opened? Also, I was a little afraid of the 621....there were warnings that said not to install it unless you have accepted the update of something or other that I didn't understand.....I don't know if my phone has that or not.

Please help......I'm in the middle of this now and I don't want to give up.......yes, it would be easier to just go and get a new phone, but this is sort of interesting and I want to MAKE IT WORK!!!!! Do my bidding, little Droid!!!!

14. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Inigoes, MD
    The warnings about 621 are because it is difficult to root. Since I'm assuming that you don't care about root, I wouldn't worry about the warnings.

As for the unzipping, you need a program that can handle gz files.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

rathousecats likes this.
  15. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    OK.....had other obligations and took some time off from trying to resurrect my Droid X.

I left off after being referred to a tutorial. Things were going fine until I could not unzip the file that was required.

Everything else downloaded and unzipped just fine.

I was told I needed a program which would unzip a GZ (ok, I forgot what the letters were.....it was a "G" something or other, I think).

CAN ANYONE PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS ON EXACTLY WHAT PROGRAM TO DOWNLOAD AND WHERE IT MAY BE FOUND???? As you all can tell from my other posts, I am definitely not a techie. I don't need the biggest, best, super program out there........just one that will unzip the file I need. I don't know if I will ever even use it again, as this is the first time I have ever used zip files for anything........:eek:

And if you would be so kind, please also include how to get the zipped file into the program so it can be unzipped. I may be able to handle that one on my own, but I would rather have specifics so I don't screw everything up.

Thanks again.......and know that I am still not ready to give up. I want to take my fully functioning phone back to the Verizon store employee who told me (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) that my phone was bricked and had I seen the Droid Razor????

THANKS!!!!!! :p

16. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    And no, I am not interested in rooting. If I knew what it was, I MIGHT be interested, but no, at this time and in this reality, rooting is not necessary.

But you mentioned that the phone may have been stuck while being updated to 621. Was this something that happened automatically because I have never done anything to this phone other than download the apps that I needed.

Just wondering.......

17. UrsusVIIILXXXVII

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    There's a free program called 7zip. It will open gz files.

http://www.7-zip.org/
    Simply install this on your computer and then open the file with it.

If you didn't accept the update, then it probably wasn't the cause. You have to actually go into your settings and check for updates and accept it. Regardless though, this sbf will return your phone to its out-of-the-box condition.

rathousecats likes this.
  18. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    Thanks......have downloaded the program......now let's see what happens!!!!

19. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Inigoes, MD
    Wrong! It will update on its own after a set amount of time.

rathousecats likes this.
  20. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    Still can't get file in 7 zip. Watched their tutorial, but it didn't help. Can anyone tell me exactly in step by step directions how to download the 621 file and get it unzipped? Everything else is ready to go, but I can't get this file to open!!!!!

21. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Saint Inigoes, MD
    Is it giving you an error?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

22. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    Yes.....it is saying incorrect command line. It absolutely will not allow me to get into this file.

23. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    Well, I guess that I am calling it "code dead." I don't know what else to do at this point. If anyone has any suggestions how to open the 621 file, please let me know. Otherwise, I will be headed to the Verizon store tomorrow evening. Thanks for all your help up to this point. Don't know WHY I can't get this file unzipped.

24. rathousecats

rathousecats Newbie
    None

May 3, 2012
    I am so sick of trying to revive this phone, but every time I resolve to just give up, I keep hearing a voice in the back of my head that says.......it still might be saved.......

Status: was trying the tutorial and could not open spf file. No way; no how.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if there is anything else I can try.

I don't understand why the other files downloaded and unzipped with ease. The spf file downloads but will NOT open. I understand what to do with the phone when I get everything together, but I am dead in the water without a workable spf.

HELP!!!!!!!

25. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT