• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help moving a paid program to Gingerbread ROM

Jeffery

Android Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2009
Marco Island, Florida
I purchased an app for $9.99, EarthNC, and it works fine with FROYO, but doesn't show up in Gingerbread.

So I flashed Froyo, synced the app from the market, then I used Root Explorer to copy the the .zip file from /data/app to my sdcard (it was not in apk format), then flashed back to Pete's GB ROM.

How do I re-install the app? I paid for it, all I want is to be able to use it with GB.

I tried renaming the .zip file to .apk and then installing. I also tried copying the .zip file back to /data/app and rebooting. Neither worked.

Uhh... Did you try unzipping it? What's inside of the archive?

The APK is the installer, without that, you can't make an app work, to my knowledge. Also, random, but you're only like 15 mins down 41 from me, I'm in Naples haha.

All that's in the zip are 2 files: "android manifest "and "resources" and 1 folder: "res".

That's funny you live in Naples!

Upvote 0
Try backing up your apps with My Backup Root and/or Titanium Backup while running your Froyo rom. Then after flashing your Gingerbread rom and letting the market restore your apps, then use one of those backups to restore the app that way.

good luck

Worked perfectly with Titanium Backup! Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones