1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HELP! mp4's turned into png's when moved from phone to computer!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mzcmn, Dec 30, 2011.

1. mzcmn

mzcmn Lurker

I moved all the video mp4 files from my samsung galaxy S II onto my Dell Laptop computer (Ubuntu OS), and when I went to open them, all I have are .png's of the video thumbnails... and the files were moved so they are no longer on the phone! What happened to my video and audio of these .mp4 files? Why did they save as png's? Is the data recoverable? Is it hiding somewhere either on my phone or on my computer? Can png's be converted back to .mp4's? Help! I had 6 months of videos that I moved that now seem to be lost! Geez, I've learned my lesson I guess... I should have "copied" instead of "moved" but I wanted to clear out my phone at the same time.. one fell swoop... I never suspected that the file formats would be changed in the move!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Well-Known Member

I wonder if what you moved was the icons of the videos... how long did the transfer take? if it took a good while, maybe you have the data. If so just try renaming the file ".mp4" and see if it works. Sorry to hear this man, hopefully you can somehow rescue the files.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews