• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help, music player don't find any song

Hi everyone.. I'm new here and also with the phone, it's a Motorola Milestone (or Droid.. I think they are the same), it only has 3 weeks :)

Well.. i'm having a very strange and annoying problem, if someone can help i will really appreciate it, because it's making me crazy..
When I add songs to the SD, the default Music Player the phone brings don't find them.. i tried a lot, configurations, folders, song names, song properties, etc etc.. but none of them worked.
It didn't happen always, the first songs i added are there, and can be played normally, but if I add new ones they don't appear in the Music Player..
Also the same happens if I add audio to the "notifications" or "ringtones" folder.. the don't appear in the proper place to use them.

I read somewhere in the forum that the music player have a limit of around 100mb to read music.. but it's that true? any way of raising it?

Well, any suggestion will be usefull, thx to everyone!
Ahh and also forgive me, if the thread is bad placed, but couldn't find a better one.

thx again
Juan.

Thank you!

I've already tried some things, but none of the worked.

Rebooting the phone don't change anything, neither removing the SD.
Tried copying the music using the Motorola Media Link soft, but it's the same.
Also someone suggested to tag the songs with ID3 v2.3.. tried it but it's still the same.

The only things that worked (are close to that) are

Deleting the folder with all the music.. or changing its name.. doing this the next time, the music player will not find anything.. so I will not have music.. but at least it's a change jeje.

And the best alternative is to download the app Meridian, which is a music player with another file explorer.. opening it and doing a "refresh" to each folder that have music, makes that they will show up in the default Music player.. but the Meridian works awfully, it's bugged, has crashes, etc.

So.. I'll continue trying, any suggestion is well received :)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Hrrrrrrrrrrm. I actually haven't had a problem with Meridian.. The only thing I can think of is it would prefer I pause before turning my Bluetooth headphones off. On the other hand, I also don't have this problem, unless I add the songs to my SD via wifi (ie, without an SD card mount/unmount/initialize), but even in that case, a reboot fixes it. I also have my music in a different directory: sdcard/media/audio/music

Someone else on a forum (possibly this one) had the same issue you're having. Do you have another SD card you could try? Otherwise, what's the exchange policy like on the Milestone?

Upvote 0
Well.. finally I could make it work :)
Really don't know what was causing it, but what I have to do in case same one need it, was:

1) Delete all the folder with music
2) Unplug the phone, open the music player and let it search (is will not found anything)
3) Plug the phone, create a folder with a different name as the previous one
4) Before copying all the music, make sure it's is correctly tagged in ID3 v2.3
5) Copy ALL the music into that folder, without using subfolders
6) Unplug, open player, let it search, enjoy :)

Hope this not happen again.. because I don't know any reason.

Cheers, and thx for the help! :)

Upvote 0
If I had to guess, I would say its the deleting, Music app searching and finding nothing, and then recreating the music folder that is the real problem solver. Is this the first time you've done those 3 things in particular? Or did you truly discover that yes, it's necessary to have 2.3, or that yes, it's truly necessary to not have subfolders? I don't want to sound accusing, and it's completely understandable that you took those steps anyway when you came up with the 'let it search and find nothing' idea, better safe than sorry and all that.

This way if somebody stumbles upon this thread, maybe he'll be able to say 'Out of laziness I tried just those three steps, and it looks as though the v2.3 and subfolders doesn't matter for this bug'. It'll help troubleshoot and isolate this glitch.

Upvote 0
Yes.. before doing all that steps I tried:

Deleting all the music, all the folders, changing names, and creating all from the start.. and didn't work.

Also tried changing the tags of the music I already had in the phone to id3v2.3.. and that didn't work either.

So from this perspective, probably was the subfolders issue.. but the really first time I added music, it was all divided in folders and the phone read them alright, it bugged like a week later..

So.. I really don't know which one was, or a combination of the three.. or just bad luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones