• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HELP! My house has been invaded by flies and gnats!

Wait--don't you have air conditioning? I'd be lost without it.

Funky is in the UK. Don't usually need A/C in homes there. But apparently they're having a heatwave at the moment, or so some of my friends over there tell me.

Where I'm staying at the moment doesn't have A/C. I leave the windows open, but there's mesh bug screens on them to keep the pests out. And I sleep under a mosquito net at night. In southern China most homes have A/C, it would be intolerable without it, but then they don't have heating, not needed. If it gets chilly, you just put more clothes on.

Upvote 0
Funky is in the UK. Don't usually need A/C in homes there. But apparently they're having a heatwave at the moment, or so some of my friends over there tell me.
Yes, I knew Funky is in the UK, but for some reason it didn't click. My daughter lived in the UK for a year following college graduation, so I actually know what the weather is like there, but, whatever. Chronic brain fog, I guess. :)

Where I'm staying at the moment doesn't have A/C. I leave the windows open, but there's mesh bug screens on them to keep the pests out. And I sleep under a mosquito net at night. In southern China most homes have A/C, it would be intolerable without it, but then they don't have heating, not needed. If it gets chilly, you just put more clothes on.
I don't remember now what program it was, but years ago I saw a show about China, and I was shocked at the images of people bundled up like Eskimos cooking in kitchens inside houses with no heat, yet it was VERY cold--you could see their breath as they talked. This was in a rural area, as I recall. Now that I think about it, I think it was something to do with China's "one child policy." So I'm guessing that China's weather varies greatly, as ours does here in the US, depending on location.

As for mosquitoes, you have no idea how glad I am to be back home in the mosquito-free area I grew up in! When I lived in Dallas, summers were so MISERABLE, not only because of the oppressive heat and humidity (like 103 degrees with 99% humidity), but because within moments of stepping outside my arms turned black. I was a mosquito magnet! My husband, who grew up in Florida, seemed to have some kind of natural mosquito repellent in him, because while I was being devoured by mosquitoes he wouldn't have a single one on him. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Another update: It's MUCH better today! I've only seen four flies and one gnat. :D That's compared to 20...30...40 flies and countless gnats at any given time a few days ago. I've been running around the house like a madwoman with my detergent-solution-filled spray bottle, and last night my kitchen floor kind of felt like an ice skating rink [it was so slippery!], but my efforts seem to be paying off. :D

Oh, I'm not celebrating just yet. I realize it could be a fluke and/or a temporary change. But, still, it's MUCH BETTER!!

Upvote 0
The may be a lot of phoneomologists here but probably not many Entomologists here.

Go find ya some experts. FREE ones.

Get a couple dead unsquished examples of what you have and take them to your County Extension office. They should have a bugmanologist.

They can tell you what they are, how to kill them, and where in your house the nests may be if there are such.

[EDIT] Damn. Forgot one of the most important parts. Not only are the Ag agents Free but they aren't in the business to take money away from you for their product like a commercial exterminator.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
ONLY if you didn't want them too!!! Then they would be all over it!!:)
You're not kidding! This is what Big Brian does while flies are zooming around over his head:

dsc_1626_BigBrian_062213_tmp.jpg

Every once in a while he looks up and says, "Oh, hi, Mom!" Snoooooze.....

Upvote 0
I can sympathise with you about the flies. I'm sat by a lake fishing and there's loads of them, but I guess it's not as bad as I'm on their turf. It seems like you have things under control but a tip I've been given today to keep them away should in principle work for you as well. I guess you'll have to do a room at a time. So close all doors and windows and light a scented candle in the middle of the room and turn out the light. They'll be attracted to the light and get killed when they get too close. On a side note to why there were so many flies about. Do you cats have a habit of catching birds or mice and leaving them in random places?

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
I can sympathise with you about the flies. I'm sat by a lake fishing and there's loads of them, but I guess it's not as bad as I'm on their turf. It seems like you have things under control but a tip I've been given today to keep them away should in principle work for you as well. I guess you'll have to do a room at a time. So close all doors and windows and light a scented candle in the middle of the room and turn out the light. They'll be attracted to the light and get killed when they get too close.
No problems with that idea--I LOVE scented candles and have tons of them; I always have at least one lit in the living room. So if my issue doesn't stop, I'll give your suggestion a try.

On a side note to why there were so many flies about. Do you cats have a habit of catching birds or mice and leaving them in random places?
Oh, no. I NEVER let my cats outside. It's far too dangerous for cats to be out, so that's a non-issue.

Reactions: Shotgun84
Upvote 0
Another update: It's MUCH better today! I've only seen four flies and one gnat. :D That's compared to 20...30...40 flies and countless gnats at any given time a few days ago. I've been running around the house like a madwoman with my detergent-solution-filled spray bottle, and last night my kitchen floor kind of felt like an ice skating rink [it was so slippery!], but my efforts seem to be paying off. :D

Oh, I'm not celebrating just yet. I realize it could be a fluke and/or a temporary change. But, still, it's MUCH BETTER!!

*Insert joke about using daily/nightly house builds here*

Upvote 0
That white cat sits like my Snowshoe.
That's my wonderful Brian Setzer, or as we normally refer to him, Big Brian. (In case anyone's wondering how he got his name: I was talking to my best friend and said "so what am I going to name this stray cat?" To which she replied, "Brian Setzer." (And if you don't know who Brian Setzer and/or The Stray Cats are...you're way too young. Go away. :rolleyes:) He joined the household last Halloween--and QUICKLY figured it all out. I guess he discussed things with the other kids [or cats, if you prefer], and found out that he now gets food and water 24/7, can lounge around all day, roll around and act cute when Mommy walks by, and play with lots of toys. He also enjoys stalking and chasing the kids who were here BEFORE him. :eek: Except for my baby, Joy Noelle. She's the boss of the house, my little princess, and she knows it. They ALL know it. They defer to her. At first, she wouldn't even allow Big Brian on my bed at night. Now, he can get up there, but he has to keep his distance from Mommy. :D

Our feral will catch bugs
One of my two feral cats is quite the bug catcher, but for some reason flies are of no interest. :thinking: Crickets? Yes. Moths? Yes. Flies? No.

I won't be obnoxious and tell you how a fly eats.
Oh, but I already know... :vollkommenauf:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
We had an influx of flies in one office. Could have been due to mice as we didn't have a break room, so no real food around. We did have mice and exterminators used DeCon.

Fly strips did no good, so I finally made a fly swatter out of cardboard and a coathanger. Got the flies, but the cleaning crew didn't like it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones