• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help! My wife's PIN stopped working

ericsbcn

Sep 16, 2010
My wife has an S7. Today, she tried to unlock her phone with the PIN and it told her it was invalid. She tried a few more times with no luck and now it's telling her she only has 5 more tries left.

She used the phone yesterday with no problems. She's certain she hasn't changed the PIN. She never did the fingerprint thing, so that's not an option. Anything else she can try?

We are on Verizon. Would taking it to a Verizon store do any good?

Thanks.
- Eric S.

Problem solved. We restarted the phone and then it worked. And seems to be fine now. The first thing we did was set the fingerprint thing so she'd have a backup way to get in.

Thanks for the suggestion about ADM though. But don't you have to install it on the phone first?

- Eric S.

Upvote 0
Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0
Android Device Manager is already a part of your Google account, just log into it to make sure it's enabled. (Also, leaving Location on is part of its functionality.)
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3265955?hl=en

Oh okay. I thought you were talking about this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.adm&hl=en

I can't seem to find where to turn that on, though. In your link, it says to go in Google on the settings page, but I don't have that on the S7. I tried under "Location" and "Lock Screen and Security", but no luck there either. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
- Eric S.

Upvote 0
Hmm. If I open Apps, I don't find anything called "Google Settings". There is a Google folder with items like Gmail, and You Tube. That also has an app called Google, which is the "OK Google" thing. I opened that and looked in it's settings, but couldn't really find a "Security" item.

Then, apart from the Google folder, there is an app called "Settings", which opens the normal settings, the same as pulling down the notification bar and pressing the little gear icon. But, again, nothing called "Google Settings". I have them sorted alphabetically, so I would think it would be right there with the G's, but no.

I did install that separate Device Manager app a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't get it to work and uninstalled it. Maybe that's why?

Upvote 0
On an S7:

Open Settings>There will be an entry there labeled Applications>scroll to bottom>Google Settings. That's what you're looking for.

Since you got the phone open anyway, activate Find My Mobile under Settings>Lockscreen and Security. It's Samsung's own brand of the Android Device Manager. It in fact came first before ADM is I remember correctly. My original Galaxy S got it as an update before. At least you can have two options.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones