1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root HELP! Need idiots guide to rooting (or re-rooting) for Gingerbread 3.2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kpjbeard, Jun 13, 2011.

1. kpjbeard

kpjbeard Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    I am not a phone techy but I rooted my Evo 4G by following a youtube video step by step. Now the new update is out... 4.22.651.2 The update wont work because I guess my phone is rooted? Anyway did some research and it looks like I need to download a rooted ROM (no idea what ROM is) of the new gingerbread release. None of the instructions made any sense and I don't want to F up my phone... someone please help!!!

Advertisement

2. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    Attorney
    If you have the current Gingerbread release for EVO, there is nothing you can do at this time to achieve root. Downloading a rooted rom is the technique to go from rooted Froyo to rooted Gingerbread. In other words, you need root to maintain the root as you upgrade.

I'm sure developers are working to exploit Gingerbread, but it simply has not happened yet.

3. ndh777

ndh777 Android Expert
    None

If you want the real unrooted version, you will have to use the unrooting method found in our "Rooting for Dummies" section here. As NeoteriX said, you may not want to unroot if you like root as it may be months before they come up with an exploit built for Android 2.3 for Evo. I think he's right that you should maintain your root and flash a rooted Android 2.3 ROM instead of unrooting and getting the official Sprint update.

If you want the ROMs for Android 2.3, check here at XDA Forums' Wiki page that includes almost every ROM ever built for our Evos.
    HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers

In there should be some Android 2.3 ROMs for rooted Evos.

I flashed the latest MIUI a few days ago and it says that it is on Android 2.3.4, so I guess that most of the newest ROMs are running on a rooted Android 2.3 ROM.

4. dgrobe2112

dgrobe2112 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 11, 2010
    Male
    Waco, TX
    Go to this thread.. http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/348211-quick-guide-rooted-stock-2-3-rom.html

download the odexed version. move that zip file to your sd card.

go here to download the radios Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! and put that zip file on your sdcard must me named PC36IMG.zip nothing else.

turn off your phone, then boot up. (hold volulme down and power button at the same time)

your phone will come to a white screen. Go to hboot, hit power to select and load the PC36 file.

May have to reboot again, not certain, if so, do the step above.

Go to recovery, hit enter to select,
    no wipe is needed, if you are coming from a stock rom. if you have another rom, other than stock.. then you need to do a full wipe.

then go to load zip from SDcard, hit enter, and find the zip file (rom) you want to flash, wait for it to do its thing, then restart the phone. give it time, as the first reboot will take a long time.

5. kpjbeard

kpjbeard Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Awsome! It works. Thanksk everyone

Tags: