• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help need with phone call - "press 1 for ..." etc

Desire D

May 16, 2010
London
New Desire user here in the UK, loving the phone, just one thing I've not been able to find a solution to so far ..... so many of our call centres here are automated with press 1 for this 2 for that etc.

Can't figure out how to get their phone systems to recognise me selecting 1 for example, I press 1 it does nothing and they I press the button to retract the keyboard and still nothing.

I hope that makes sense and I would appreciate some help please :)

Thanks

not quite sure i understand what you mean but i've recently had to ring the national rail helpline which, as you describe, has an automated system with 'press 2 for....' etc

when this happened i pulled up the keyboard and when i selected the number 2 it worked as you'd expect - so it should work for you too

try calling another phoneline which has an automated system to test it out (i'd suggest your network provider as it will probably be free :))

Upvote 0
I've only just moved to Android after Nokia for 13 years... So not tried this, but I have a few numbers I dial often and go through to the same extension etc...

Can you save the number with the standard DTMF codes?

08001234567pppp2ppp2p1 etc.?

Obviously that's only helpful if you want to go through to the same extension each time, or you could save a number for each regular extension?

Upvote 0
not quite sure i understand what you mean but i've recently had to ring the national rail helpline which, as you describe, has an automated system with 'press 2 for....' etc

when this happened i pulled up the keyboard and when i selected the number 2 it worked as you'd expect - so it should work for you too

try calling another phoneline which has an automated system to test it out (i'd suggest your network provider as it will probably be free :))

Thanks for the replies everyone, it seems the only one it doesn't work with is my network provider (Virgin), works fine with a couple of others I've tried this morning. Typical.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones