1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help Needed! Android chat - pc chat server

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by thornt, Apr 11, 2012.

1. thornt

thornt Lurker

Hi guys,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm new to android program as i've just started learning at university. I'm developing a chat application that interacts with a chat server on a pc. I've created a login page that has a predefined username as password within it, however i wish to implement a system that checks the login name and password to a database, how ever i have no idea how to do this. Could anyone help please?.

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

The coding for the login page is:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Android Expert

You'll ned to create a PHP script to handle your query on the server side and on the client side, execute the PHP script via a HttpClient connection.

3. thornt

thornt Lurker

PHP I can handle fine thats easy, BUT I have no idea about the rest of it, i have seen a sample of a program online but i couldn't implement it onto mine..

4. thornt

thornt Lurker

jonbonazza, thanks for the link so far i've still not got a clue how to implement that to my current coding.. Thanks for you link though it's appreciated

5. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Android Expert

The first thing that I would do is sit down and design the architecture on paper. Before you can start coding, you need to figure out the server-side stuff, such as how many tables you need, what fields should be in what table, what information does the server need from the client to query the database, etc... Once you have all of that figured out, the next step would be to write the PHP script to handle the database queries. After all of the server-side work is setup, then you can finally move on to the client side communications.

If you have any specific questions, ask them here or PM me and I will try to get an answer to you asap.