1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help Needed Aussie Nexus S - Using in USA

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eden62, Aug 4, 2011.

1. eden62

eden62 Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Hi all,

I've just purchased a new Nexus S here in Australia through our carrier Vodafone and am slowly working out how to use it! :eek:

I will be travelling to the USA in about 8 weeks time and would like to know if it is possible to buy a prepaid sim for the phone to enable me to use the phone while there (without incurring all of the nasty fees that my Aussie carrier will charge me!)

I have no idea of the US carriers or what is available - also I'm not sure if the Aussie Nexus S is the same as the US one.

Advertisement

2. RavenFox

RavenFox Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    I.T
    Westchester, NY
  3. NunyaBidnez

NunyaBidnez Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Student/Intern
    Los Angeles, CA
    Depending on which version of the phone they are selling in australia, you will either have one with 3G frequencies compatible with T-Mobile USA or AT&T. Typically the T-Mobile compatible version is the one sold outside North America. Either way, both companies have prepaid options available. In my opinion, T-mobile offers the best value for prepaid. Check out both websites to determine which suits you best. Also check which 3G frequencies are compatible with your phone. T-mobile uses WCDMA (UMTS) 1700/2100 mhz and AT&T uses WCDMA (UMTS) 850/1900. With either company you will be able to make phone calls over the GSM network. 3G is only important if you need high speed mobile data instead of the slower EDGE data speeds

4. DynamitePress

DynamitePress Member
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Just check the model number of the phone. The I9020T is compatible with T-Mobile 3g. The I9020A is compatible with AT&T 3g. Buy accordingly. :)

Tags: