1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help needed: Cannot dismiss 'Voicemail: A new version is available' notification

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Android Question

None
    This annoying notification has appeared in the past, but I have always been able to dismiss it. Now, nothing I have tried has worked:
    • Click 'Update now' both with and without selecting 'allow automatic updates'
    • Uninstall voicemail updates
    • Restore from Titanium Backup
    • Force Stop various applications
    My phone is on the Sprint network. The OS is version 5.0.1, the phone is rooted, but stock ROM. The current voicemail is version T.6.0.1.22.

Can you please help me figure out either a) how to get the latest version to install (note that I have disabled quite a few of the built in apps, but I do not believe this is the reason for the app's not updating) or b) how to make the notification go away.

Thank you.

Advertisement

2. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    So from your description I recall going through almost the exact same problem, a voicemail update that wouldn't update and just became more and more annoying. Eventually that stupid update applied itself when I was doing something else and had turned off WiFi and was using mobile data. (I have a CDMA phone and periodically update the PRL and Profile, with seems to work better over cellular than WiFi.) Also, if you have a firewall app try temporarily disabling it.

3. groston

groston Newbie
    None

svim - Thanks for the suggestion. I regularly have the WiFI on my phone turned off for 12+ hours at a time - that does not seem to do the trick. I did try updating PRL and Profile, but that did not help (and may not have done anything either - I turned on a network logger, clicked Update PRL, and no data was transmitted...)