• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help needed for a friend's Wildfire S - rooted, but need more help :)

alex_ncfc

Aug 1, 2010
UK
Hi all,

I hope this forum is still frequently visited so that somebody can help me with my queries! :)

A friend of mine has an HTC Wildfire S phone, which he got frustrated with using due to the very limited space for apps on the phone. I explained that rooting it would give options for potentially running apps from the SD-card and installing custom ROMs etc. He had stopped using the phone for a long time but last night he dug it out and asked me if I could root it.

I've successfully unlocked the bootloader and rooted the phone, but I was left confused by some issues that I can't find the answers to:

With my own previous phones, Sony Xperia X10 and Xperia S, I have rooted those and run custom ROMs and kernels. However, when looking for a custom ROM for the Wildfire S, there don't seem to be any kernels. Does this mean I can use any custom ROM, be it Gingerbread 2.3 to KitKat 4.4 with the same CWM Recovery that I have on the phone right now? Are the kernels built in to the ROMs that are downloaded?

Also another question is how do I go about increasing the storage space on the phone now that I have rooted (be it on either the stock ROM or a Custom ROM)? My friend has a 2GB MicroSD card in the phone. If I was to install a KitKat ROM for example, how could I make sure the apps could be installed and run from the SD Card?

Finally, which ROM would you recommend trying on the phone rather than the stock ROM, which is not sluggish but also very functional?

So basically to sum up:

• Do I need to flash kernels to use custom ROMs?
  • How do I increase the storage size so that many more apps can be installed?
  • What is a nice, fast custom ROM that you would recommend?

I'd appreciate any information to help me on this one. Like I said, with my own personal phones, which have always been Sonys, I've got used to the rooting methods on those, but I had a lot of questions with this phone so would be grateful if somebody could help get this phone to a more functional standard.

Thanks

Reactions: alex_ncfc
Upvote 0
You can use nearly any rom that is available on this site.
Wildfire S Android Development - XDA Forum

If you are not worried about losing sense overlay, the kitkat roms are very good so i am led to believe.
Use this version of CWM to install kitkat roms though
[RECOVERY] ClockworkMod Recovery [v6.0.5.3] | HTC Wildfire S | XDA Forum
Not tried them myself as i like the sense overlay

Thanks for the reply @anoniemouse.

I have tried many of the ROMs on XDA but can't seem to settle on one! They all seem to have pros and cons. Some are very fast but have issues, whilst some seem a lot slower but are more stable.

I wanted to try this KitKat one ([ROM][4.4.4][ViPER]WFSY11.0-WEEKLY[V6.0] | HTC Wildfire S | XDA Forum) but it seems to be full of FCs on first start up.

Which ROM are you using? The stock HTC ROM? Where would I be able to obtain the stock ROM should I want to get it back? I did make a NANDROID backup of it in CWM, but lost it when I partitioned the SD card sadly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones