1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help needed. Nexus 5 dead.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Arut, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Arut

Arut Lurker

hi, My nexus 5 fell two floors. I can't see any damage except that the camera lens is broken. The screen is intact. However, my phone isn't turning on, blinking or showing any signs of life.
    When I connect it through USB, it's not being detected by the PC.
    I can't get a replacement as I didn't buy the phone through play store but Amazon.
    Any views as to what's wrong with my phone?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

If your phone fell 2 floors, it is likely that the internal components could have sustained damage.
    Check to see if your credit card offers damage protection. If not, you may want to refer to ifixit's teardown guide and open it up to see if anything is out of place and try to fix it (try this only if you are technically adept and feel confident to try this - LOTS can go wrong if you don't do it carefully)

The safest option would be to send it to LG for repair of course.

3. Arut

Arut Lurker

I did open up the phone and everything seems to be in place including the battery.
    I bought the phone through Amazon in India and right now I am in UK. LG support centre in UK took the purchase details and referred me to LG Indonesia, as it was purchased by Amazon from there and LG UK doesn't have the software for this device.

I contacted a local repair shop..they kept the phone for a day and returned it saying that they couldn't find the fault as it's not even blinking.

4. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert

Not sure what they meant by "don't have the software for this device" - the OS/radios/recovery etc are all online with Google, and anyone can get it.

Sorry to hear about their response though. Only suggestion I'd have is to look for a better repair center. Obviously, there is something wrong with it, and they just need to be able to figure out what - which is what a repair center should do.

Try contacting Google directly and see if they can help (here in the US, Google seems to have an undocumented policy of replacing a broken device once, but only when purchased from the Google Play store. You may want to give it a try anyway, highlighting the fact that you did contact LG, and indicate their response. Who knows - the Google representative may be kind enough to provide a solution.

Arut likes this.
  5. Arut

Arut Lurker

Google has referred me to Amazon. As money was paid to them and not Google, the replacement is out of question.
    I wanted to get it repaired by LG and pay for the damage; I am not sure why they need a software for hardware damage though.

6. Incakola

Incakola Android Enthusiast

The mobo may need to be replaced? Not sure what us forum people can do for you...

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews