• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help needed to install new ROM, my My Touch 4G (MT4G) seems fried

I posted a variation of this in another thread but it seems best having a separate thread:

Is there a link to very clear installation instructions for the virtuous unity (v-2.39.0.zip) rom on to the My Touch 4G?

My MT4G seems to be acting crazy and HTC CSR suggested loading a new rom.

T Mobile store guy (a nice guy at that!) could not reboot using a special T Mobile sd card made to reboot this phone, so I must do it myself.

Since the phone is no longer supported by HTC any more it was suggested by the HTC CSR on the phone I find a suitable rom and install it my self.

When I attempt to completely reboot the phone (down volume> press power button> scrool to reboot, hit reboot) stuff happens, all apps still appear, even those I have manually uninstalled.

If I do reboot from inside the phone : Settings: Phone and SD card: Reboot, ... same thing, all apps appear and messages come up that indicate I am best to wipe the phone and start from scratch with a clean and new functioning ROM. I discovered Virtuous Unity ROM in my research.

So a new ROM may in fact be in order. Without pre-installed apps or any apps. I am ready to start afresh.

I am new at this ROM procedure, never before rooted a phone or loaded a new rom onto a phone.

I also need to know how to make my phone (MT4G) ready to be rooted with the Virtuous_unity-2.39.0.zip.

I also have downloaded the following:

CoreDroid_EXT4_Format_utility -DS
FULL_WIPE_1.5_EXT4_DS
RUU_Glacier_hboot_0.89.0007

A step by step walk through will be greatly appreciated from turning on my MT4G to completion.

Please assume I know nothing.

Am starting with a phone with the following:
Android Version: 2.3.4
HTC Sense 2.1
Software 2.32.532.1

Please let me know as detailed as possible what to do.

I downloaded the virtuous _unity.zip, 450MB, file and the other listed files onto my PC and am awaiting direction.

I have a blank sd card ready to go. A USB cable ready to use.

Am unsure what to do next.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones