1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help needed with ROMS, backup etc following rooting...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stevep94, Jun 26, 2011.

1. stevep94

stevep94 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    I've rooted my phone today using unRevoked but now I'm a bit lost! :thinking:

1) Do I need a "goldcard" and if I do, what exactly is one?
    2) Do I have to do a "nandroid" backup and if yes, what is it and how do I actually do it?
    3) Do I need to used "titanium backup" - again, what for and how?
    4) How do I decide which ROM is for me? I'm happy with sense but I also switch between Go Launcher and Launcher Pro - do I need a new ROM if this is the case as all I want to do is make all my apps install to my SD card!?!?
    5) Can I go back to "stock" if this all goes a bit pear shaped and especially if I end up selling my Desire?

Sorry if some of these questions are a bit stupid and sorry if you have seen me ask similar in other threads, I just wanted to centralise all my info!

My phone is currently full of previously installed apps and rubbish - I've backed up my photos and have a Googlemail account for my contacts so is there any downside to doing a master reset to the phone (will that affect the rooting?) and formatting my SD card?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

2. MandaNick

MandaNick Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Please read the FAQ, and then come back.

3. stevep94

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    Thanks for the tip, I've read through the FAQ's and maybe I'm just stupid but I cant follow them - sorry!

I was after some basic advice in plain english....

For example, is it possible to stick with the stock sense/launcher pro setup but enable saving apps to sd card? (as really thats all I'm after!)

This really is how stupid I am in this area! I'm actually amazed I was able to root (assuming I've even done it right!) without bricking my phone!!!!!

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    OK, in that case:
    If your phone was originally network branded, it's a very good idea. Less essential if your phone was unbranded, but might give more options.

It's a card that's been modified to bypass the handset id check that tells an RUU whether the phone has the correct branding (to stop you running an unbranded RUU on a branded phone). Gives you more options, and for some networks (Orange UK) where no RUU is available it is the only way you can run one.

Before you ask: an RUU resets all the phone's software. Useful if you have a really major problem, or need to return the phone for repair (though in the latter case you do want the "correct" RUU for your phone).

How to make a goldcard is in the FAQs - sorry, don't have that off the top of my head.
    If you are going to flash any modifications, then yes you do. If something goes wrong and the phone won't boot, the nandroid is your get out of jail card.

You make it by booting into recovery and selecting "backup".

You boot into recovery by booting while pressing the volume down key, then selecting "recovery" from the menu and following instructions.

Sometimes the phone fails to reboot properly after the first ever nandroid backup (goes into a boot loop). If this happens, get back into recovery, then "restore" from the backup. It won't happen again.
    To back up apps and data, either as a general backup, or if you change ROMs to allow you to transfer your apps and data to a different ROM (because you'll almost always have to do a factory reset before changing ROMs, which will delete this stuff from the phone).
    ROM choices are personal - the only way is to try and see what suits you.

Installing apps to SD is not quite that simple. You can force more of your apps to SD "google style" when rooted, but that has its limits (e.g. no use if the app has a widget). There are other a2sd solutions which allow apps with widgets to be moved, but they work differently. You need to read the a2sd FAQ again for this.
    Find the ROM Update Utility (RUU) for your phone/network from shipped-roms. Save it on your PC's hard drive, and you can use that to unroot and return to stock if needed.

But really, up to this point I've said nothing that isn't in the FAQs. Don't rush into things - you are doing the right thing to ask rather than ploughing ahead, but also the info is there. Take this post, then read the FAQs again, and see whether it starts to make more sense. The forum search is also useful.
    Master reset won't affect rooting.

A master reset will also wipe messages and all apps and data. Messages can be backed up easily - there are a number of apps for this. If you care about apps or their data then you can then do a proper backup (Titanium) first and then clean things up.

5. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I wrote it in plain english with the goal of teaching the reasons behind the answers as the answers alone are not enough. I am sorry if you dont understand them. Please help me make them better by posting in the faq threads, outlining what you do not understand.

Hadron likes this.
  6. stevep94

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    Sorry guys! :(

I really do appreciate any help and I'm sorry if I'm being thick!

I'll have another read through the last couple of posts and re-read the FAQ's but its such a lot to take in!!

Could I just check the order in which I should be doing things so I can at least concentrate on one thing at a time!

I've rooted (I think) so from what I understand I need to do the following:

- Create (and use) a gold card as my Desire is o2 branded
    - Create a partitiion on my regular card so I can take advantage of the apps2sd bit
    - Do a nandroid backup (I understand that saves my existing software etc in case something goes wrong)
    - Choose a ROM and install it and experiment a bit

Does this sounds about right for the right things to do in order??

7. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    I agree its loads and some of it wont make sense until you're in a situation that it does. I do want to make it better / more accessible so if you have any ideas, please do let me know.

The goldcard is only needed for recovery purposes. If you have a spare card, you can make a gold card and throw it in your man drawer. You'll only ever need it if you need to use an unbranded RUU to return to stock so you can fix severe software issues.

Be aware that partitioning the card will break the gold card. When you make a gold card, you simply upload an image to the sd card which writes a part of it.

I would:

- Take nandroid
    - Copy all SD files to computer
    - Partition SD
    - Gold SD (if you are using the same one)
    - Copy SD files from computer
    - Have fun

8. stevep94

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    Thanks for the continued help SUroot, its much appreciated!

I'll concentrate on doing my nandroid backup first,. From what I understand this will essentailly take a "snapshot" of my existing phone (including the Sense UI??) so if anything goes a bit wrong, I can revert back? - Does this get saved to my internal memory, SD card or my PC??

I can live without all my apps and I've already backup up my photos etc to my PC so can I miss that step, format my SD card and partition it?

Thanks again....

*edit*

Should I have made a goldcard BEFORE rooting yesterday or doesnt it really matter??

9. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    Backup is to sd card. This then needs to be backed up to pc.

You can make a goldcard at any time. You don't even need the phone to make one. You should be able to use a card reader. If the correct RUU is available for your device, the goldcard is not as urgent than if its not

10. stevep94

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    I'm doing a lot more reading today, mainly another thread of a guy in my position (where you helped a lot too!) plus the FAQ's....

Just to check then, I go through the clockworkmod backup (which IS nandroid) - it will create a backup of my phone on the SD card - which I then backup to my PC just in case?
    Does this mean reading the card as bulk storage and just copying everything on the SD card? As I said before, there is an awful lot of crap on my phone so would I be better doing a master reset and possibly even format the SD card before doing this so I'm basically starting fresh?

Also, from what I've read, its best to have your main SD card as your goldcard as flashing custom ROMS will somethines ask for permission and if it isnt your main SD card, you have to faff around with swapping the cards! - Is this right? ie. I format the card (FAT32) then partition, THEN create a goldcard? (again sorry if this sounds dumb, I just want to understand the best way to go from the outset!)

11. stevep94

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    Bit worried now, I've done a bit more reading and found that my RRU might not be available - is this the software number found under "Software information" on my phone??

Mine is 2.14.207.3

I read in another thread that this wasnt freely available - does this sound right??

12. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    O2?

You can get the one before:

Shipped ROMs

But yeah make the goldcard.

stevep94 likes this.
  13. stevep94

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    Thanks for the reply....

Sorry but I jumped ahead of myself but posting twice - does my info in post #10 sound right or have I misunderstood things? (as usual!)

14. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    You dont need to format the SD card, feel free to clear it up though, but its best to take your backups then copy every folder to PC if you dont know what is what. You can just m,ount it to PC and as long as your pc is set to see hidden folders, all will be fine if copied over.

Custom roms do not need goldcards. You ONLY need a goldcard if you are using an RUU. I previously used to suggest that your main card is a gold card, but since partitioning breaks them and makes it a little trickier, if you have a cheap spare laying about, make that a goldcard instead. You only need it when using an unbranded (or non o2) RUU to return to stock.

But if you are using the same SD card, partition first THEN gold. Basically a gold card writes the boot sector of the card. But partitioning the card creates a new boot sector which overwrites the original containing the gold image. So partition it, then doing gold will add the gold image to the partitioned boot sector.

Inno likes this.
  15. Inno

Inno Well-Known Member
    None

I gotta say, I've been toying with Rooting since I got the Desire. I've read and re-read and RE-RE-read the FAQs. They're great info, but still a little scary to the likes of me. Combined with threads like this, people in a similar boat to me, it's the best thing.

I appreciate older hands at this might be a bit narked at having to go over old ground, but for someone who's scared stiff of turning his phone into a shiny doorstop, this is invaluable.

I've finally jumped and rooted. Just ran the Unrevoked doohickey. Reading up what to do next before I do it all in one go.

Coward, y'see ;)

Thanks again to all posters involved with help and/or questions.

16. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    We're not narked. We just want to check that it has been read first. If then it is still not understandable, we are happy to help. We want the guides and faq's to make as much sense as possible and will always accept feedback if improvements need to be made (or elaborated on).

Inno likes this.
  17. stevep94

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    Thanks again for all the help guys!

I've decided to make a goldcard next but not got a spare SD lying around so I've sent off for one!

Just a quick question though, I've read on these forums regards goldcards and referring to "locked" and "branded" - now mine is an o2 branded handset (well, the boot up screen is the o2 "bubbles" etc) and at the moment it is locked to o2 use (ie. cant put a Vodafone sim in it for example)

Now I have got an "unlatching" code from o2 to (supposedly) unlock the phone - does this have anything to do with the custom ROMS etc or does that just refer to the sim usage??

18. Usta

Usta Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Locked phones refer to carrier locks (sim-lock). There is a separate process to carrier-unlock the phone.

Goldcard refers only to branded phones, aka phones where the carrier has modified the Android ROM for example to put their own apps on it.

19. stevep94

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    Right, apart from waiting for my new SD card to arrive, what else can I be doing in the meantime??

Is it worth doing a nandroid backup before doing anything else? Since it saves to the SD card, wont this be lost if I then format/partition the card??

Correct me if I'm wrong but nandroid saves my existing ROM (ie. the stock ROM) and I can revert back to it at any time? (btw, where is the guide for doing a nandroid backup??)

Also, if I've backed up the entire contents of my SD card to a PC, what does Titanium backup do? (I'm not fussed about keeping any of my apps etc, I'll just re-download them after I've got a ROM on there that I'm happy with!)

Thanks.......

20. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    If you're happy with not saving apps and settings, no need for titanium. You may want to save your sms somewhere. I use sms backup+. It backs sms up to gmail. Very useful.

You dont need a guide to do a backup via recovery. Boot into recovery (steps in rooting faq), select backup. It will be lost if you format your card, which is why you backup card to PC.

It backs up your rom and data. Its a snapshot of your phone.

21. stevep94

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    Ahhhhh I see!!!

So I do a backup via the clockworkmod (nandroid) AND THEN backup my SD card to my PC (simple copy & paste making sure hidden folders are viewable?) in case the SD card corrupts or something, then I've got a backup and can just copy/paste it back onto the SD and run recovery to get back to my current state??

I am (slowly) starting to understand some of this!!!

Is there any reason I need to wait to make a goldcard before I do any of these steps? (my new micro SD is on its way!)

Regards whats on my SD card now, not fussed about losing sms and I've backed up my photos and videos anyway and I assume my contacts will auto-sync from my Googlemail account??

If this is the case I think I might format the SD card (does it have to be FAT32?) and do a master reset on the phone so I've got no crap floating around in my system for when I do the nandroid backup!

Then do the nandroid backup, copy SD card contents to PC for safe keeping and then crack on with finding a ROM I'm happy with!

Do I need to worry about a new radio and/or "s-off"?? (whatever that is!?)

22. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Beautiful Dorset
    forget about radios and s-off for now, until your a bit more experienced. You don't need it yet or to install custom roms.

23. stevep94

None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    Thanks for the continued advice, nice to know I dont have to start looking at these things just yet! :)

Can anyone confirm if my planned path of action/understanding in my last post looks about right?

Cheers......

Tags: