1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help needed with the htc one m8

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dominik96, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Dominik96

Dominik96 Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2014
    Hello, I have a problem with my htc one m8. Its a vodafone de carrie branded ( not sim locked ) phone and I cant boot it up cause it keeps getting stuck at the screen with the green htc logo. I was on stock android 4.4.4 and wanted to enter recovery but a black screen with lines appeared and when I got it turned off it wouldnt boot back on. I can access the bootloader screen as well as my custom recovery. I

Advertisement

2. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

First, what is it you are trying to do exactly? And I'd suggest you stop trying to flash firmware before you potentially end up with bigger problems. You can't flash firmware via fastboot unless you are s-off, and you still have s-on from your bootloader info.

Also, you can't flash firmware packages like these through recovery either, most have to be specifically flashed via fastboot and the rebootRUU mode.

So can you tell us what the problem is. is there actually a problem with the phone? And what you are you trying to do?

3. Dominik96

Dominik96 Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2014
    The problem is that the phone cant get past the green htc logo. It keeps getting stuck and Im trying to fix it. Ive tried flashing an ota firmware file through rebootRUU and get this : Failed ( remote:12 signature fail)

4. Dominik96

Dominik96 Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2014
    After researching some time on the net I found out that I accidentally wiped the os from my phone because I chose advanced wipe... Does anyone know how I can reinstall it ? I

5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Custom ROMs are not specific to the network (exceptions being the US Sprint and Verizon networks, which often use different hardware variants). Any ROM suitable for a GSM M8 should be fine.

If you want to go stock/unrooted then the ROM Upgrade Utility does have to match the phone's branding (technically its CID).

6. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

Ah ok. Have you unlocked the bootloder again first. Did you run a nandroid backup you can then restore in TWRP, that would be your easiest solution. But have you taken an OTA? That bootloader version looks to be latest firmware, if i recall correctly 3.16.x would match your original software version 1.54.x (which is android 4.4.2). Bootloader version 3.19.x is later firmware. Can you post the OS version from bootloader screen, or in fastboot:

fastboot getvar all

and post what version-main says.

If they start with 3.28.x you have later firmware via OTA i presume, so in that case you could flash a 4.4.4 rooted rom. You might have to flash the boot.img in fastboot as well.

Otherwise you could check this thread on xda:

COLLECTION of Stock backup's | HTC One (M8) | XDA Forums

and scroll down to bottom on first post as there's a link to some stock German backups. As you're not s-off you won't be able to use the WWE versions listed as they won't match your CID and/or model number. But im not sure of what happens if you roll back to an older software release with newer firmware. Maybe nothing, but you might get problems with connection (wifi, mobile data).

7. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

[OT (sorry OP) - Hadron good to see ya, not come across you since Desire days :thumbup: ]

Dominik96 likes this.
  8. Dominik96

Dominik96 Lurker
    None

Nov 12, 2014
    I found a nandroid backup and restored from it. Everything works fine now, thanks for the help.
    @Hadron , Does this mean that I can install any custom rom I want ? Im not that familiar with roms on the m8. I had samsung phones in the past where each custom rom could only be installed on a specific carrier phone or on the international version

9. saltire

saltire Android Expert
    None

Cool it's sorted. Yep you can install any custom Rom made for GSM variant, that's pretty well anything except Verizon and Sprint(?)

Only thing you need to watch is if you need to update firmware. If you try to use an old firmware with 4.4.4 based roms it will take ages to boot and likely WiFi won't work. Usually first post in Rom thread will state this. Not having s-off means you would need an OTA first before flashing a Rom. If you check your firmware version (my post above) and its 3.28.x you should be good to go.

Dominik96 likes this.

HTC One M8

The HTC One M8 is the Taiwanese company's flagship phone for the first half of 2014. It built on its predecessor with an upgraded 5-inch 1080p display, Snapdragon 801 processor, 2GB of RAM, 32GB of internal storage, and an UltraPixel rear Duo Camera.
Tags: