1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help Needed With Wife's New Ally

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Murphy, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Murphy

Murphy Member
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    She just got it yesterday and I rooted with z4root. It is VZC, 2.1 update 1.
    I had her look at all the ROMs (Velocity, Raptor among them). She does not like any of them and especially does not like all the apps that were removed.

She is looking for a stock VZC ROM with A2SD or a way to get A2SD working on the stock rooted phone she has now.

I have rooted our Droid Eris' before with no problem, flashed custom ROMs, etc.

Can you guys please help me?

Advertisement

2. DJAlmix

DJAlmix Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2010
    You could,

0. Download the stock theme for velocity_.3
    1. Flash velocity_.3
    2. Now you have a "stock" rom
    3. Partition for Apps2SD
    4. Download all the bloatware from the stock roms out of the marketplace

3. dvanlinton

dvanlinton Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    north carolina
    Yes you can do that.. and even though say may not like the apps that was remove you can always reinstall them... and also you can always use a custom theme for your wife.. im still waiting on the news on the purple passion theme im sure your wife would love that.. its in this thread http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/218521-mm-miui-theme.html

4. Murphy

Murphy Member
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Velocity .3 is VZB. Is she going to lose anything going from VZC to VZB?

I did contact the guy that did the Purple Passion theme via PM to ask him to email it to me. Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the info!!!!

5. innate024

innate024 Member
    None

Sep 29, 2010
    OREGON
    This ROM was just released within a week ago and is VZC based. It has a2sd pre-installed and is super fast and completely stable. Just throwing another option out there for you. :)

You can find all of the info in the All Things Root section - it won't let me post the link from my phone, sorry.

6. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 18, 2010
    I believe when you use a custom ROM, the update version is really a mute point. I am using the Punisher ROM, which I believe is based on the VZC update. My phone still reports i'm on V8 (which is what I was on beforehand) and the ROM runs fine on my phone despite not having the correct version information.

As for the missing apps, as has been said, you can always reinstall any missing apps from the market. As an alternative, you can also customize any ROM before you flash it to add or remove any apps you want or don't want. I do it all the time. Just unzip the ROM files to a temp directory and add and remove whatever apps you want, rezip the file (use WinRar, not the built-in Windows zip utility) and flash that. I did that with the Punisher ROM. I removed all the Calendar apps\widgets, the standard email app, some of the kickback stuff, the live wallpapers, a bunch of the widgets and a few other things as well. Then I added some of my own apps before I flashed the ROM. I can go into more detail if you need me to. Things like where to get the missing apps and what folders they need to be placed in.

You could also contact the delevoper from this thread ( http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/191916-a2sd-multi-roms-ally.html ) and see if the multi-rom apps2sd file for VZB willl work with the VZC update. That would give you apps2sd support without the need for any custom ROM.

7. DJAlmix

DJAlmix Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 14, 2010
    As for punisher_0.1 I highly reccommend it. Its incredibly speedy and has a nice feel to it. (It also comes with Apps2SD and Overclocking support right out of the ROM).

8. Murphy

Murphy Member
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Downloading Punisher now. I am going to install ROM Manager to get Clockwork Recovery and then flash the rom. Install missing apps then look for color metamorph themes.
    Thanks for all your help guys. I now will be able to save some of my hair!!

On the metamorph note, do I just use MM's for the Ally or will other phone's MM's work on the Ally?

9. xepicxacidx

xepicxacidx Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennslyvaina
    Id stay with the MM themes for allys others can cause bootloops etc.

10. death2all110

death2all110 Android Expert
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Male
    Systems Administrator Windows/Unix
    Illinois, US
    When you flash the rom make sure you're in recovery and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wipe data, cache and dalvik cache and partition for a2sd and then wipe that new partition then flash just to make sure everything works as it should.

11. dots

dots Android Expert
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Shelby Township, MI
  12. socobandit

socobandit Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 23, 2010
    SE PA
    I will verify the a2sd from this post works, and very well. I'm using it on my stock rom with the turbo4 and kernel from drellisdee, have like 135 mb free memory

13. Murphy

Murphy Member
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    The ROM flash went great. Everything was fine but it kept restarting all by itself. Deleted Youmail like we saw around the net and it didn't do it as often. Then today it just started doing Force closes for LauncherPro and Wave Secure. She was able to get into the Market and I had her uninstall those two and it started fine except for half the apps force close every time.
    Since she has only had it for 3 days we are in the process of unrooting to take it back and get something else.

Thanks for all your help guys!!!!

14. dvanlinton

dvanlinton Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 4, 2010
    north carolina

If you had back up your apps with titanium backup it would do that... to solve that problem you just have to uninstall and reinstall it... i got that alot when i was switching from rom to rom..

Tags: