• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help needed

HavasuMike

Oct 21, 2021
I joined this forum because I really need some help. My youngest son passed away a couple of weeks ago. I got his two phones and wanted to try to get any pictures, etc off of them, but they both are password protected. I was searching for some software to be able to do this when I found this forum. I am hoping that someone here will be able to help. I received the intro email and it says to download the official app which will determine the type of phone I have. unfortunately, the link that I received does not work. I am pretty sure that I know what one of them is, but I don't have a clue about the other. If that app will tell me, it would be really helpful. Does anyone have the correct link for the app?

Welcome to the forum @HavasuMike. First, I'm sorry to hear about your son. Second, don't worry about the app, this isn't really specific to a phone.

I'm going to move this thread to the Android Lounge where we help with general android questions as a lot of smart folks don't look for questions in the introductions forum.

Finally, do you have access to your son's email account? He probably used that to register the device, and may be used for password recovery.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Don't worry though. Google have a method for a family members to access the phone/s, once they can ascertain identity.

I'm sure you can also recognise the phones either through what you can find on the cases, photos of them, or they will be listed on his Google account under Devices once you have access. Also your son's photos may be backed up to his Google account by default - though full phone access is better.

https://support.google.com/accounts/troubleshooter/6357590?hl=en

Upvote 0
I have been searching the internet and found some software that supposedly will unlock the phones. Has anyone had experience with them?
I'd try through Google first. A lot of internet fixes are scams for money, others require factory resets (that erase what you are after) with questionable results, whatever. Before you try any of those things, run it by the folks here. We are Android users and fans helping each other for nothing but the satisfaction of helping. If it seems sketchy, one of us will let you know.

Upvote 0
I have been searching the internet and found some software that supposedly will unlock the phones. Has anyone had experience with them?
Just for some perspective, note that if those utilities you're indirectly referring to were able to magically do what they claim. Law enforcement agencies and numerous governments wouldn't need to be wasting financial resources to 'hack' into smartphones if real, actual apps were already available by just downloading them from a web site. The big bureaucratic push by lot of nations trying to institute laws to eliminate or weaken encryption in general is a telling sign too. (...made worse as legislation often applies only to public, consumer matters while preserving it for themselves).
Lock screens have a purpose, and they're not as trivial to bypass as some marketing schemes imply they are. A utility that uses brute force tactics might work if the established password is a weak or common one, but that's conditional on actually being a weak or common password. Instead of hacking into his phones, you might want to focus more on convincing Google to allow you access to his online account.
My condolences for the loss of your son.

Upvote 0
Yes, I was thinking about the scenario of Google allowing a next of kin access.

I don't know of or heard from anyone who was granted access, but I imagine it would be to read or view files only, and Google would not run the risk of someone managing to impersonate the account holder.
If that is so, I presume they would allow limited account access and not device access.

Perhaps they would allow for the account to be completely removed from the device so it can be sold or passed on.

Also I guess a limited time to view files on the account before it's closed.

I don't mean to cause any additional stress for the OP.

My sincere condolences also for your very sad loss.

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
I contacted Google and sent the information they wanted. I got a reply on Nov 11 saying that they had received my information and they will consider it. It's been a month and I haven't heard a thing from them. Does it take this long for them to do anything or does this mean they aren't going to do anything? Does anyone have any experience with dealing with them?

Upvote 0
I contacted Google and sent the information they wanted. I got a reply on Nov 11 saying that they had received my information and they will consider it. It's been a month and I haven't heard a thing from them. Does it take this long for them to do anything or does this mean they aren't going to do anything? Does anyone have any experience with dealing with them?
Google cannot and will not do anything in this case, unfortunately.

Which models are they exactly?

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

Very sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will still get back.

Could you have made an error on the form, or requested too much. I suspect Google change their system and procedures regularly. I have no direct experience but know from forums people seem to have been successful in the past.

That US Court order thing, I don't know. It seems they make it easy for you and it's just red tape they need to go through.
I'm in the UK so wonder if that makes it more difficult here.
Have you tried contacting them since?
I wanted to reply but I was hoping someone could help you more.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-LML212VL.ATRFBKY

==============

Google cannot and will not do anything in this case, unfortunately.

Which models are they exactly?

Are you sure of that, and why do you think so? Is it based on experiences several years ago?

I'm curious as to how Google handle these requests now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones