• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP! New to Rooting

barkerzoid

Lurker
Aug 14, 2012
Hello all.

I'm new here and not afraid to admit that I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to the inner workings of my android device, so please be nice!

I recently bought a sim-free unblocked HTC One S handset over the internet. I wasn't aware that it was coming from Hong Kong, but hey ho.

When it arrived I was met with some features/apps that confused the hell out of me. When I first turned it on there was a screen with ClockworkMod options. With no idea what this was I swiftly rebooted and arrived at a familiar looking homescreen.

In my app drawer I discovered AnZhi (which appears to be an Asian equivalent of Google Play Store), Root Explorer and SuperSU. Now, I have a very vague knowledge of rooting (i.e. I know it exists), but I am completely oblivious to what it means.

After inserting my Vodafone sim card the phone seems to be working fine, except it isn't detecting my location or picking up weather details. It would also appears that HTC Sense isn't syncing. I'm assuming that this is something to do with the fact that the phone has been rooted (whatever that means!), but I really don't know.

So, after all my waffling above, I suppose what I'm really asking for here is some basic 'rooting for idiots' type help. What does it mean to me? Can I unroot and resore factory settings or will this pose a problem (remember the device has come over from Hong Kong - I'm in the UK)?

Thanks in advance!

It's possible that apps/files necessary for the broken features were deleted. It's really hard to tell without going through everything and checking.

You can go back to a completely stock state by running the correct RUU. We'd need to figure out which one that is (and I'm fairly busy at work, but I could help later). Did you get the box or any of that stuff with it when you bought it? Is it carrier branded? I know you said it was sim unlocked, but the branded versions can do that too (just trying to get as many details as possible). I know that there are two hardware versions with different processors, so we'll have to figure that out as well.

Rooting just means that you have administrator access to system files. It won't cause issues unless you change things to cause them. Another option would be to flash a custom ROM (operating system), but we will still need to find out the specifics about your device.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
As far as I know the phone is unbranded. It came boxed and was sold as new, but the seal was broken on the packaging - probably because the supplier has performed the root mod or whatever. Mine is the silver/grey/blue model as opposed to the black (if that makes any difference). Here's the link to where I bought it from:

Panamoz HTC One S 16GB Android Sim Free/Unlocked Smart Phone Electronics

I've started to get my head around the rooting thing. I'm currently using SuperSU to run Adfree and App Hider (just so unused apps like AnZhi don't appear in my app drawer).

I've also done some research into custom ROMS. Flashing the device with JollyRancher or similar sounds like a good solution, but to be honest I'm wary of tampering with things that I know little about. Knowing my luck, I'd probably end up turning my new phone into a dead brick.

Upvote 0
As far as I know the phone is unbranded. It came boxed and was sold as new, but the seal was broken on the packaging - probably because the supplier has performed the root mod or whatever. Mine is the silver/grey/blue model as opposed to the black (if that makes any difference). Here's the link to where I bought it from:

Panamoz HTC One S 16GB Android Sim Free/Unlocked Smart Phone Electronics

I've started to get my head around the rooting thing. I'm currently using SuperSU to run Adfree and App Hider (just so unused apps like AnZhi don't appear in my app drawer).

I've also done some research into custom ROMS. Flashing the device with JollyRancher or similar sounds like a good solution, but to be honest I'm wary of tampering with things that I know little about. Knowing my luck, I'd probably end up turning my new phone into a dead brick.

That describes the S4 version (color doesn't matter ;)), but being that they sold it to you as new and it had been tampered with I am not sure that I totally trust the description.

As long as you follow instructions you won't break anything, just ask before if you have questions. If you want to go with a custom ROM, I would recommend a sense based ROM (like TrickDroid or Axiom) to start because they have less issues/bugs. The issues/bugs in the AOSP/CM based ROMS aren't that bad, but it sounds like you want something without issues that you are semi-comfortable with.

Make sure to make a backup in your recovery (clockworkmod) before flashing anything.

I would steer clear of flashing custom kernels or radios until you feel more comfortable about it all.

Reactions: barkerzoid
Upvote 0
Actually, I just remembered that the S3 version doesn't have a compatible Clockworkmod recovery (just twrp), so it must be a S4 version. So there are plenty of available options for you.

If you want to go back completely to stock let me know and I will help you w the RUU process. Otherwise have fun looking into being rooted (it's not as daunting as it may seem), and good luck. We can help with all that stuff too.

Upvote 0
I'm back!

After plugging my phone into my PC I've stumbled upon a Zip file titled 'Nic_OneS_0530_signed.zip'. I extracted the contents of the file onto my desktop. There are 2 folders titled 'system' and 'META-INF' and also a file titled 'boot.img'.

I've checked the software information on my phone and it says 'Software number 1.53.401.2 by Nic'.

Does this mean anything to you? What is likely to happen if I extract the contents of the Zip file to my phone?

Upvote 0
I'm back!

After plugging my phone into my PC I've stumbled upon a Zip file titled 'Nic_OneS_0530_signed.zip'. I extracted the contents of the file onto my desktop. There are 2 folders titled 'system' and 'META-INF' and also a file titled 'boot.img'.

I've checked the software information on my phone and it says 'Software number 1.53.401.2 by Nic'.

Does this mean anything to you? What is likely to happen if I extract the contents of the Zip file to my phone?

Looks like a flashable (in recovery) zip for a custom ROM. Not sure what ROM it's for though. You would boot into recovery and flash the zip there (not something that you extract), but I would avoid doing that if you don't know what it is.

Upvote 0
Actually, I just remembered that the S3 version doesn't have a compatible Clockworkmod recovery (just twrp), so it must be a S4 version. So there are plenty of available options for you.

If you want to go back completely to stock let me know and I will help you w the RUU process. Otherwise have fun looking into being rooted (it's not as daunting as it may seem), and good luck. We can help with all that stuff too.

I'm considering going back to stock settings if this means my HTC apps (clock, weather, etc.) will work. The problem is that these apps aren't picking up my location.

Can you advise what exactly the RUU process entails? Will my phone be completely wiped? I'm probably being paranoid because the handset came from Hong Kong and had some foreign apps (AnZhi store) pre-installed, but I want to be reassured that going back to stock will not render my phone useless.

Upvote 0
I'm considering going back to stock settings if this means my HTC apps (clock, weather, etc.) will work. The problem is that these apps aren't picking up my location.

Can you advise what exactly the RUU process entails? Will my phone be completely wiped? I'm probably being paranoid because the handset came from Hong Kong and had some foreign apps (AnZhi store) pre-installed, but I want to be reassured that going back to stock will not render my phone useless.

A RUU is an .exe file (windows pc). You need to lock the bootloader, connect the phone to the windows pc, and run the RUU on the computer. Just follow the instructions it gives you. It will not run for an incorrect device.

You will lose all data on the phone. And the phone will be completely stock (no root access/custom recovery).

I would recommend flashing a sense ROM like TrickDroid or Axiom, that would get you back to stock-like with a few tweaks. Or you could flash a stock rom if available (I can't remember if there is one or not). You will still be rooted if you do that, and I would recommend flashing TWRP2 recovery instead of CWM.

Let me know what you choose and I can help with more details.

Upvote 0
Okay, here are some step by step instructions:
  • You will need to have the android sdk installed on your PC (as well as the drivers for your phone). You can use the guide here (http://androidforums.com/one-s-all-...recovery-root-your-htc-one-s.html#post4331626) or the Mini-SDK (instructions behind the hide tag).
    Usage / instructions:

- download the sdk-tools.zip attachment: View attachment 24864

(here are the contents of the sdk-tools.zip file):

• adb.exe - Windows adb utility
    • fastboot.exe - Windows fastboot utility
    • fastboot-windows.exe - Windows fastboot utility
    • AdbWinApi.dll - adb link library for Windows
    • AdbWinUsbApi.dll - adb link library for Windows
    • adb-linux - Linux adb utility
    • fastboot-linux - Linux fastboot utility
    • adb-mac - Mac adb utility
    • fastboot-mac - Mac fastboot utility

- extract the contents to a folder / directory of your choice (make note of it for later)

- for Windows, start a Windows Command Prompt (old DOS window) or for Mac, Linux, start a Terminal session

- navigate, using the cd command to the extraction folders's location

++ in Windows, for example, if you extracted the files to c:\sdk-tools, you would type:
    Code:
    cd c:\sdk-tools
    This is a different location than the one listed in the other guide, so remember to use this location instead of
    Code:
    C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\
    for the next steps if you choose the mini-sdk option. You will also need the drivers from here as well.
  • Your bootloader should be unlocked already, but you can check by booting into the bootloader (press Volume Down and Power simultaneously to start the device into the bootloader), it should say *** UNLOCKED *** near the top. If not you will need to go through HTCdev to unlock the bootloader (see instruction in this post: Unlocking the bootloader on the HTC One S). While there check the Hboot version. Under the *** UNLOCKED *** there is a line that will say "HBOOT-x.xx.xxxx" If you have a version of 1.13 or higher you will need to flash the kernel separately. Let me know if this is the case and I will give instructions for that.
  • Next you want to flash the TWRP2 recovery. Instructions can be found here: Installing TWRP 2 Recovery. (Remember the file location may be different from the guide if you used the mini-sdk option).
  • Then you need to boot into recovery and make a backup. Here's how:
    1. Make sure your device is completely off (hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and it will shut down).
    2. Press Volume Down and Power to start the device into Bootloader mode.
    3. Highlight "Recovery" and press the Power button. (Use the Volume buttons to select up or down).
    4. Once in recovery choose the "Backup" option.
    5. At the bottom of the screen there is a slider that says "Swipe to Back Up". Do that.
    Your current setup is backed up at /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS/(some numbers indicating your phone)/
  • Hit the home button and select Reboot.
  • Download the TrickDroid ROM from [ROM][FINISHED][S4/S3][11 AUG] TrickDroid v7.1.0 | Tweak package | 4.0.4 | Stable - xda-developers, and put the file on your sdcard (remember where you saved it on there). You can use any ROM for this, there is a list of them here under "ROMs", I am just using TrickDroid since you mentioned it.
  • Reboot into recovery (instructions are a couple steps up). Use the following steps to wipe your current setup (don't worry we have everything saved) and flash the new ROM:
    1. Select "Wipe".
    2. Select "Cache".
    3. Swipe to Wipe.
    4. Repeat those steps for Dalvik Cache, Factory Reset, and System.
    5. Hit the Home button.
    6. Select "Install".
    7. Navigate to where you put the ROM file and select it.
    8. Swipe to Confirm Flash.
    9. Select "Reboot System".

You should now be all set.

Note: TrickDroid has an optional tweak package that you install the same way you did the ROM (just do it after the ROM), and then you follow the on screen instructions for that. It's completely optional, so you may not want to mess with that.

Reactions: barkerzoid
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones