• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help. New tv box, no sound

LID

Lurker
Nov 21, 2015
New M8S/s812 from GooBang Doo on amazon. Can't get sound from it at all, not just from kodi, the whole box. No support at all, so far, from vendor. Tried everything i could think of, but I am new at this. Setup is M8S connected to home theatre and then the TV as monitor, both via HDMI. I have tried bypassing the home theatre direct to tv with no difference. Yes, volume is up, no mutes. I have tried different HDMI cable to eliminate that possibility, no difference. (I can get sound from the home theatre using other input devices). I have tried Stereo settings on box as well as 5.1 without success.
Relevant box/system settings are:
  • Volume on unit is at max.
  • Display: HDMI auto-detect
  • Digital audio auto-detect ON
  • Digital audio Output (greyed out), HDMI passthrough
Any help/suggestions would be most appreciated. What did I miss :( ?

That box does not support TrueHD/DTS-HD or even pass-through but it should downmix it inside of the Kodi application... Try this:
Go into the Kodi settings menu and then Audio Output. Select Audio Output Device and click WASAPI from inside the drop down box. There might be mutliple selections, try each one, one at a time returning to the main screen to see if you have audio. If you hear Kodi (from selecting menu items) but not the video it may be that the video has a high audio bitstream that that box doesn't support (like DTS).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones