1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help! Nexus S went musicblind after the official upgrade to Android 4.1.1

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by odainiq, Jul 24, 2012.

1. odainiq

odainiq Lurker

Last Sunday i got the long awaited upgrade notification from Google. I finally got to wear the new shiny JellyBean on my nexus s.

My happiness didn't last long though... after i got through the installation of the 114Mb upgrade pack, i decided to do a factory reset so that everything would work as new. After i switched my phone on, i realized that i cannot play any music stored on my phone because none of the media players see the mp3 files on my phone. I tried almost all the things i could think of or read about, like formatting the sd memory, clearing cache, re-installing media apps, etc. The music files can be seen from the PC when connected via usb to the nexus s, and i can also reach the music folder via android file managers, not in the case of google play music or winamp. It's starting to get frustrating and i am really considering downgrading to Android 4.0.4, which worked seamlessly fine from this perspective.

I'd really appreciate if someone could suggest me a possible cure for this unfortunate condition my nexus s has stumbled upon.

Regards,

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

It works fine on my Nexus S with JB v4.1.1 so it's not the software. I noticed that ICS changed several of the default folder locations for music, alarms, ringtones, etc. These changes apply to JB as well. I had to move my ringtones and other sounds into new folders in ICS for them to work.

Try moving the MP3 files from wherever you have them now to a new folder directly off the root folder called "Music". Once you disconnect the USB cable the phone should find them. If not, try rebooting the phone.

3. odainiq

odainiq Lurker

Thank you for your reply bfksc!
    I figured out that jelly bean has a new "media" folder on the sdcard so i tried placing music files and folders in it but without any luck again. More than that, the google play app won't even sync with my on-line content. This mp3 issue is getting really frustrating. Also, i am nut sure that i have to place the mp3 files in a specific folder. As far as i know the Android OS should scan the sdcard for media files no matter which folder they are placed in...

4. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert

Have you tried checking the apps to make sure they're the latest version? I know Winamp recently released an update to improve JB support. I'd expect Play Music would be up to date already, but perhaps the reset somehow bumped it back to a previous version.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Actually it's not new, I think ICS added that. But still, I find unique folders for your media is a better choice.
    Actually ICS and JB are more specific about folder support - perhaps to avoid issues with rogue apps or viruses?

I found with ICS/JB I definitely needed to move MP3 files into a specific "Music" folder for my phone to find them. Do not use the Media folder anymore (if nothing is in it, you can safely delete it), just create a music folder off the root, and drop your tunes in there. Mine works perfectly fine.
    :D

6. odainiq

odainiq Lurker

Guys, thanx a lot for your suggestions. Somehow, it started working after i unplugged/re-plugged the phone to/from the PC via usb. I guess when i pressed on and off the connect usb storage a few times the OS has rescanned the sd card. I don't know what did it but it works now and that's all that matters.

Thank you again for the support!

Nexus S Forum

The Nexus S release date was December 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

December 2010
Release Date
Reviews