• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus7 thinks it's on a proxy server

Hello, it appears that you're new to AF, so allow me to extend to you a warm welcome.

It's not at all clear what you mean by "{thinks,decided} it's on a proxy", so any help I can offer is very generic. You've made a network settings choice(s) and need to review your settings.

Have you enabled VPN for some reason? Are you using a data connection or wifi?

Did you install an app that communicates through a proxy to make it appear that the device is in e.g. UK while really in AU? Check the apps that are running and shut down (one by one) those you suspect.

In stock Android 4.2.1, Settings -> Data Usage (More ...) and check everything against the settings your carrier prescribes.

Upvote 0
Sorry for being unclear. My Nexus 7 seems to be throwing an error when I try to connect to websites (some work, but I believe that they are cached), saying "can't connect to the proxy server", however, I never actually did anything remotely in that direction. I mean, I had it connect to my home wifi network. I never installed a proxy manager app of any sort.

Also, it came running 4.1, if that helps.

Upvote 0
I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't proxy settings taken care of in the browser?

OP, are you finding this to happen in Chrome, or are you using a different browser? Do you get the same result/error message when you switch to another browser?

Upvote 0
I had a similar problem with my phone. I wasn't able to get any webpages to appear. Turns out I had to go into System Settings, Wireless & Networks, Wifi Settings, Advance. Then I went into Proxy and it had info in there, I cleared it and webpages started working.

Getting into the Proxy section may be different for your tablet but check it if you can find it.

Just a thought!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones