• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! No service on Vodafone UK - just happened

markouk

Android Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2009
Fife, Scotland
All of a sudden I'm getting no service popping up on my N1. It goes from 3G at two bars then straight to no service!
I have tried to change the newtwork selection from automatic to Vodafone and back but it keeps doing it.
It happened earlier this morning when I couldn't send a text message.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk

pull the battery and reseat the SIM like peterg mentioned??
Done this and the signal is coming and going.
Have posted a question about service on Vodafone eForum.
It's going from 3G to GPRS to No Service.
Hope this isn't like other issues seen previously.
Need to wait to see if friends on VF in this building have same issue - might be N1 specific/or my SIM. it's only 18 months old I think but it might need to be replaced.

Upvote 0
Oh no mark!! That's truely rubbish. Maybe its a vodafone thing. Well, I hope it is *fingers crossed*

Oh, have you tried setting to 2G only?
I hope so too!
I'll try setting it to 2G only now.
I've had the sim and battery out for ten mins.
Earlier it appeared to be connected with a 3 bar 3G signal but I couldn't connect over 3G. maybe should've made a call too though. It may have lost the mobile internet settings with all my fannying around.
I'll check again and report back. Wish me luck.

Upvote 0
Okay, so it's working on 2G only now! what the hell does that mean is wrong with it? I haven't really paid attention to the 3G issue threads as I had none!

Had you previously been getting 3G signal where you are now unable? I can't imagine it's anything wrong with the phone if it's been working perfectly up until now. Maybe someone's kindly building a skyscraper in front of the nearest 3G mast...

No, but seriously. If it works fine on 2G only, it's clearly a 3G signal strength issue. All the stuff I've been reading about the 3G issues scream poor coding to me. The poor phone is getting mixed messages I think on whether to stick to a strong 2G signal, or hop on to a weak 3G one. Whatever's telling it to hop onto 3G then changes its mind.

Also, the process of hopping from 2G to 3G temporarily gives you a "no network" notification and you have zero signal for a few secs as it switches over.

Upvote 0
Had you previously been getting 3G signal where you are now unable? I can't imagine it's anything wrong with the phone if it's been working perfectly up until now. Maybe someone's kindly building a skyscraper in front of the nearest 3G mast...

No, but seriously. If it works fine on 2G only, it's clearly a 3G signal strength issue. All the stuff I've been reading about the 3G issues scream poor coding to me. The poor phone is getting mixed messages I think on whether to stick to a strong 2G signal, or hop on to a weak 3G one. Whatever's telling it to hop onto 3G then changes its mind.

Also, the process of hopping from 2G to 3G temporarily gives you a "no network" notification and you have zero signal for a few secs as it switches over.
Okay, it's working again.
I think it is just the network being weird. Hasn't done that before now. Also when I go to select networks now it only shows Vodafone as opposed to the other networks in the UK. i've left it at that as it seems stable now. Someone on VF eForum has been having issues with network close to me too. They're not an N1 user though.
I suppose if it happens again I'll have to switch to 2G till it settles. Hopefully the big G pushes a patch out soon.

Upvote 0
Okay, it's working again.
I think it is just the network being weird. Hasn't done that before now. Also when I go to select networks now it only shows Vodafone as opposed to the other networks in the UK. i've left it at that as it seems stable now. Someone on VF eForum has been having issues with network close to me too. They're not an N1 user though.
I suppose if it happens again I'll have to switch to 2G till it settles. Hopefully the big G pushes a patch out soon.

proberly a flood of new iphone users clogging up vodas network;)

Upvote 0
I'm pleased your phone appears to be OK. This is my worst fear at the moment, the thought I may have to deal with woeful service should something go wrong.
Thanks buddy. Yeah, I wouldn't mind if it was a couple of months in and things had settled down a little bit. I don't think now is the time to consider getting a swap for the phone. The phone is a happy chappy on 3G now, phew!

Upvote 0

That shouldn't happen at all....I know this is an issue with the N1 but that's pretty bad, a mobile phone that can't handle [vertical]handoffs? Yikes google and HTC better get their shit together thats pretty bad...handing off from 3G to 2G or 2G to 3G SHOULD be just as smooth as 2G to 2G or 3G to 3G (way too much "G's" haha). Its part of the features of the radio and its unnacceptable if it can't handle hand offs!

Upvote 0
That shouldn't happen at all....I know this is an issue with the N1 but that's pretty bad, a mobile phone that can't handle [vertical]handoffs? Yikes google and HTC better get their shit together thats pretty bad...handing off from 3G to 2G or 2G to 3G SHOULD be just as smooth as 2G to 2G or 3G to 3G (way too much "G's" haha). Its part of the features of the radio and its unnacceptable if it can't handle hand offs!

Well, I could be wrong. It definitely does this when manually switching using the 'Use only 2G Networks' option. I haven't actually had 3G enabled for more than a few mins as I've been in range of wi-fi whenever I wanted data services.

Upvote 0
Well I hope it is just a software issue that can be patched. It could happen at any time as at work it appears as though I'm right on the edge of a 3G dead zone and a full 3G happy zone. It does seems poor that the N1 can't manage the transistion. It seems to keen to hang onto the 3G signal so much so that it'd rather go off line than switching to 2G.
Hopefully they can optimize it depending on what you are going to do. I'd rather have one bar of 3G than full bars on 2G for internet but full 2G instead of one bar of 3G for calls. At least I think so anyway as maybe that would give me faster speeds for internet and decent voice performance on calls? I don't know, it's outwith the realms of my knowledge than one.

Upvote 0
Just read somewhere else (soz, can't remember where, been jumping all over) where it was suggested that, because the 3G was ok when phone was on desk, but then defaulted to 2G when picked up, that the signal was being masked by the users hand?

This is definitely the problem in my view. I don't think the issue is 3G specific. I live in a poor signal area and generally get 2 or 3 bars of GPRS at home. Sometimes when I pick the phone up to text I can lose my signal completely. However, in a strong signal area, there is no noticeable difference and 3G is maintained - or GRPS if that is supported only.

I definitely think that the phone has weak radio which is masked by our hands.

Upvote 0
I refuse to accept that purely because it can't be fixed with software and isn't covered by warranty. You guys must just have too much lead in your bodies or something. My phone will work perfectly. Forever. END OF. ;)

I should really take off these lead lined gloves to make it a fair test..!

Of course Oniongirl, your phone is made from stardust and will never fail like our mere Earth phones!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones