• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help - no sim, no imei, no Kies, nothing!

Any help will be much appreciated!

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I900P on Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread.XXKJ4 on a 24-mth contract with O2, I've had it for just over a year (just weeks out of the warranty). I have not altered the hardware or software in any way. It has not been damaged.

So I have been very surprised and incredibly frustrated as 48 hours ago I stopped getting 3G/any network. I can use Wi-fi. When I try Settings-Wireless and Network-Mobile networks it says 'Insert SIM card to access network services'.

My SIM is fine - it works in other devices. Other working SIMs do not work in my Galaxy S2. The phone has:

1. No SIM (though working SIMs inserted)
2. No IMEI/unknown number/mobile network state - disconnected.
3. Unknown baseband.
4. Cannot connect to Kies via USB or wirelessly - 'connecting' message ticks over for an eternity. My PC, however, picks up immediately that my phone is plugged in.
5. I cannot connect to Kies, so I can't update the firmware. Who knows whether this would help anyway. Can't rule anything out though.
5. I have undertaken a handset hard reset. Twice. It does not seem to wipe all my data - some of my photos are still on there.
6. I have tried GSII_Repair with Root and Basebox. No joy.
7. I have tried these things with both low and full battery charge.

I searched online all day yesterday for solutions. Seems I am not the only person with this Samsung S2 SIM error.

I am at last ditch efforts now - tempted to stick the phone in 12 socks in a tumbledryer, like one advice forum suggests! So any other ideas very welcome!

Any help will be much appreciated!

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I900P on Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread.XXKJ4 on a 24-mth contract with O2, I've had it for just over a year (just weeks out of the warranty). I have not altered the hardware or software in any way. It has not been damaged.

So I have been very surprised and incredibly frustrated as 48 hours ago I stopped getting 3G/any network. I can use Wi-fi. When I try Settings-Wireless and Network-Mobile networks it says 'Insert SIM card to access network services'.

My SIM is fine - it works in other devices. Other working SIMs do not work in my Galaxy S2. The phone has:

1. No SIM (though working SIMs inserted)
2. No IMEI/unknown number/mobile network state - disconnected.
3. Unknown baseband.
4. Cannot connect to Kies via USB or wirelessly - 'connecting' message ticks over for an eternity. My PC, however, picks up immediately that my phone is plugged in.
5. I cannot connect to Kies, so I can't update the firmware. Who knows whether this would help anyway. Can't rule anything out though.
5. I have undertaken a handset hard reset. Twice. It does not seem to wipe all my data - some of my photos are still on there.
6. I have tried GSII_Repair with Root and Basebox. No joy.
7. I have tried these things with both low and full battery charge.

I searched online all day yesterday for solutions. Seems I am not the only person with this Samsung S2 SIM error.

I am at last ditch efforts now - tempted to stick the phone in 12 socks in a tumbledryer, like one advice forum suggests! So any other ideas very welcome!

It appears as if your EFS is corrupted, you could try to update to the latest release for your carrier as on occasion that will correct the error, you can update via ODIN as you are having problems with KIES

You will need to do something like this anyway as I noticed you have rooted your phone and that will invalidate any warranty, upgrading the firmware will remove root and if you do decide to send it in there should be no issues

This is the latest firmware for your device/ carrier I9100P / O2 UK

If these are not correct then let us know

http://www.hotfile.com/dl/158110344/bfdf35a/I9100PXXLPH_I9100PO2ULP4_O2U.zip.html

Reactions: lightmcqueen
Upvote 0
I had a similar issue with my S2 last year, which other than being rooted, was running the stock Orange firmware. Basically I kept losing connection to the network and had the invalid SIM message. Eventually it seemed to kill the SIM as it got to the stage where it wouldn't recognise the SIM at all. Orange sent me a replacement SIM which worked for a month or so, then one day it went mad, checking my email inbox over and over again (K9 mail), before crashing. After this, it would get stuck at the boot screen.

I've been told that this was likely to be due to a corrupt partition in the phone. I sent mine back to Orange under warranty (after putting the original kernel back on with ODIN).

Reactions: lightmcqueen
Upvote 0
Thank you to everyone who replied to my thread. Kelis32, I cannot thank you enough! I expected that your suggestions would help 'unroot' my phone. But not only did you help me to upload new firmware and unroot, but my Samsung SII now miraculously reads my SIM card.

To say I am pleased is an understatement, after weeks spent on a basic Doro handset for calls and texts (no predictive text, argh), I am forever grateful.

If it goes awry again, I will post on here and send my phone back under the two-year warranty (which O2 confirmed, thanks for commenting, Slug). Many, many thanks again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones