• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help - No SMS notifications or sound since KitKat

thomo2710

Nov 10, 2011
Hi,

I updated my phone to KitKat 4.4.2 this morning (Vodafone UK)

Since then i do not get any SMS notifications or alerts.

No message symbol int he top corner, nothing - although the counter does show as a text message received if i unlock the phone and look at the SMS icon.

But thats not much good if it doesnt beep at me to tell me ive got a new text!

Using the stock SMS app and looked at my default messaging app and it is set to messages.

Other alerts are working fine (stock email, whatsapp etc) and it rings fine for incoming calls.

Where have my SMS notifications and sounds gone? :(

OP, did you find a fix for your issue?

I have the same problem - no SMS notifications or alert since the KitKat update.

Sound is on, notifications are on in the SMS app, alert plays fine when forced with the select menu, application is not blocked in notification management, all other notifications work fine. Just not SMS.

Upvote 0
Have you tried an alternative SMS app?

There are a few issues with the initial KitKat update, this seems to be one of them.

I'm not sure if it will work here, but try something like SMS Popup or lightflow and let that handle the SMS notifications as opposed to the messaging app itself.

There's another bug fix update rolling out imminently (if not now), so hopefully this should be fixed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones