1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Help:Not able to sign out from gmail

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by hardst0ne, Jun 7, 2011.

1. hardst0ne

hardst0ne Newbie
    None

May 21, 2011
    I am new for Android, recently got handset with android version 2.2.1

I got one more new handset (better), so want to gift previous one to my brother. However I am not able to completely sign out from my account, it requires factory reset. I have bought lots of apps, so don't want to do factory reset.

So someone help me how to log off my account from previous phone.

Advertisement

2. mplevy

mplevy Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    New York, USA
    Those apps you bought? YOU bought them, not your friend. By giving him your phone with apps you bought (that we can only assume you will continue to use yourself on your new phone, as irrelevant as that is), you are essentially pirating the software.

Aside from the ethical/legal standpoint above, Some apps MAY have a market auth. built in, that checks the market account to verify the license, remove the account licensed for it and it stops working. You could TRY going into accounts and sync, select the account you initially signed into the phone with and tap the remove account button at the bottom of the screen. Those purchased apps may not work though, if they even remain on the device.

3. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 1, 2010
    work for the man.
    TEXAS
    to put it simple, you cant sign out, you have to factory reset before you give the phone away.

4. hardst0ne

hardst0ne Newbie
    None

May 21, 2011
    I am little puzzled here... does it mean that I can use these apps in my new mobile without buying it again and by just signing in with same account which has been used earlier in previous handset?

I am not much convinced with your response as the purpose of signing out can be anything, The main concern is how to sign out without factory reset but not that it is right or wrong to do the sign out.

5. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Ditto to both the above posts. You cant sign out unless you do a factory reset. You can stop the emails from alerting you, but going to menu-settings in gmail, and turning off notifications.

Correct, just sign into the new phone with the same gmail address, and the Market will let you redownload apps you purchased again. But signing into that gmail on two phones is pirating, as you only bought ONE copy of the apps.

Again, gmail is tied to the phone's main account. The ONLY way to sign out is to do a factory reset. Google does this for this exact reason, so people dont buy apps and then just give their phone to others so they dont have to pay for those apps.

6. mplevy

mplevy Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    New York, USA
    Correct, you will get the apps on the new handset with the same Google account. No need to repurchase them. In fact, when I signed in to my tablet when I got it, my purchased apps started downloading almost right away.

When a question is posed regarding transferring a handset with this in the question

One can draw the conclusion that you want to give the handset to your friend with the purchased apps intact so he/she doesn't have to pay for them on their own.