• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help: Note 4 freezes for 10sec every minute :(

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
This is bizarre. Had my Note 4 for years, never an issue. I keep it slim and trim, running around the clock! Never an issue since the day I bought it. I'm usually the one who used to post here, helping others with my replies and reviews, but now stuck with my own problem.

Yesterday, had regular updates of YouTube, Google, Google Chrome, Whatsapp, SwiftKey, and My Verizon, and since that update every minute to minute and a half phone freezes for 10 seconds and then resumes. I'm puzzled. Nothing new was installed in weeks. The same behavior is in airplane mode with all radios disabled, so doesn't matter if data is on or off, wifi is on or off, etc. I rebooted the phone multiple times, removed the battery, put it back in, removed uSD card and rebooted with out a card - still the same.

Literally, I start the Stopwatch, and can monitor it freezes after running between a minute or minute and a half, freezes for 10 seconds, and then resumes with a stopwatch count. Very consistent.

Anybody else experienced anything similar or know the cause/solution? I know, the phone is old, but it happened out of the blue under conditions described above, and I'm totally puzzled :(

Wow! That was it! I owe you a beer! :)

I did uninstall it, no more freezes but the phone is running slow now, SwiftKey autocorrect affected too. Wonder if it has to do anything with that? There is no way to roll back to the previous version, i guess? Maybe I should look for apk to side load it.

I hope Google will get enough feedback to figure out whats going on and fix it.

Reactions: IamtheCoffeebean
Upvote 0
How do I turn off auto update?

It's in the Playstore app's settings

02-23_09:44:21.jpg

Upvote 0
Hello, so i've had this Note 4 for about 2 years, i had no problems with it thus far until recently ( 3 hours ago actually) i was just texting and browsing Instagram and out of no where the screen froze, it became unresponsive and the screen went black and started constantly vibrating so i quickly pulled the battery out and put it back in again, tried to start it again and it got stuck on the Samsung logo, i went for recovery mode and tried to look up latest cashe log and it froze right there too and restarted, pulled battery out and in again, tried to get into Recovery mode for a second time and a dm-verity verification failed error on the lower left corner popped up, i selected "Restart phone" and it got stuck on the Samsung logo again, battery in-out, tried to get into Recovery mode for a third time to do a factory reset but this time it got stuck whilst trying to boot onto recovery, and i had to out-in battery again, tried several times to get into recovery and it didn't work, i just gave up and started searching, then after 14 minutes i decide to give it another try and it normally booted up! i inserted in my PIN and browsed the apps for about 2mins but it froze, again, and the whole cycle kept repeating i let it cool down for 15mins and it boots up normally but freezes again after a few minutes of usage, i noticed that it insanely overheats before freezing (especially right above the SIM card area) and the four CPU cores are showing 2469MHz and on 100% (But that's also the case when the phone just boots up right?), Now i basically can't access recovery mode and i'm stuck with a Freeze-Reboot looped and i'm left with no other option but a full Stock ROM flash, the thing is i can't even get into recovery to do a full wipe before flashing in the ROM, can i just flash in again a TWRP recovery? This all happened after i rooted it (http://mrbosski.com/how-to-root-galaxy-note-4-verizon/) and is there any way to fix this without having to do a full Stock ROM flash (i Tried the wake lock app it didn't work) and i'm on Android 5.0.1, this has JUST happened today and never before. i'm hoping this isn't a hardware issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones