• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help! On Wifi but it's using my data plan

lasia221

Lurker
Aug 15, 2010
I'm so confused and fed up right now. Yesterday I exchanged my less-than-a-week-old HTC Aria because we (nor AT&T) couldn't figure out why my phone was telling me that I was, without a doubt, connected to my home wifi but yet anything I did was charged to my (not unlimited!!) data plan. I was always triple checking to make sure that before I downloaded/sent anything big, the wifi symbol was up.

they couldn't figure it out. so since the first Aria came damaged (touchscreen wouldn't work) i decided to go with the Samsung Captivate.

Immediately upon setting up wifi when I got home I saw what the one tech support lady had mentioned - that the wifi symbol in the in the status bar should *replace* the 3G symbol (it hadn't before). Ok, all good...we could see my phone on our wifi, that it was logged on.

This morning, I look at my data plan and to my shock....I see more activity!!!! I hadn't left my house. I hadn't ever gone off wifi.
It's showing up on my data plan as wap.cingular.
I downloaded a Data Activity widget for the phone, and all it shows on that is wifi use and cell use.

I don't know what to do, but I'm pissed. I mean, I upgraded to a more expensive phone. now I'm going to have to upgrade to the more expensive data plan just bc this can't be solved??

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones