• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help our Healthcare Professionals: Pediatric Broselow Tape

medicX

Oct 3, 2009
for those of you not familiar with a Broselow Tape, it basically is a guide that we roll out next to the pediatric patient in the case of an emergency to determine the approximate height and weight in kgs; this is because many of the drugs, tools, and overall management of a pediatric patient is dependent on their size.
i would like to see a widget that would allow you to press a "scan" button at the head of the child, and press again at the feet- with the results the same as a "tape" based Broselow guide that focuses on that specific height and weight group for the associated height.
sounds difficult, but would be an enormous help in the field, not to mention how cool it would be.
thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• using-broselow-tape_~BROSELOW.jpg
    using-broselow-tape_~BROSELOW.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 107
i would like to see a widget that would allow you to press a "scan" button at the head of the child, and press again at the feet- with the results the same as a "tape" based Broselow guide that focuses on that specific height and weight group for the associated height.
huh... and how is it supposed to work? what is this little miracle inside the phone which enables the widget to say "2 feet and 3 inches and, btw, it's a boy"?

Upvote 0
huh... and how is it supposed to work? what is this little miracle inside the phone which enables the widget to say "2 feet and 3 inches and, btw, it's a boy"?

it doesnt matter the gender. i am not a developer, so i don't know if there is something that is capable of detecting the length of something. it was an idea. we have gps. calorie counters, step counters... wondered if it was possible.

Upvote 0
oh, sorry for mentioning this "it's a boy" - that's my stupid sense of humor :)

back to the topic - there are not so many things that are possible around this task. i can allocate two major approaches:
1. measure the length of baby in something that you always have. like a box of cigarettes. then tell the widget something like "approx 7,5 cigarette boxes and the box length is known to be 90mm (or 3.5 inches - whatever)" and the widget calculates the length of baby
OR
2. you can simply make a photo of baby next to the object of known length, then tap on the screen where this object starts/ends and where the baby... well, starts/ends. then the widget calculates the rest

I could do the both for free. Well, just for the knowledge that few ppl in the world said 'thanks'

BUT! BUT!!! I don't want to even imagine what happens if one day 'a common user of this widget' buys the regular pack of cigarettes instead of usual long one, forgets to change input parameters and as the result baby gets overdose of... whatever - of any medicine he/she supposed to have.

PS. sorry for my humor again and for possibly rough looking reply - english is not my first language...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones