• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help overclock rooted BB v.9

ilmar72

Apr 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
Hello,
I need some help with overclocking. I have not really found any threads in these forums deticated just to overclocking the Droid.

I am running BB v.9 and would like to overclock past 600 mhz. I have 2 overclocking utilities . (Setcpu, and overclock widget) I understand that I have to update or flash the Kernel. I tried doing this OverClocking Motorola Droid To 1.3 GHz In 7 Easy Steps | areacellphone.com

The adb commands were successfull. WHen I rebooted my droid it was bricked (well not really cause I did a Nandroid backup right before I did this) It was just frozen with the white Motorola logo.

Perhaps I downloaded a bad 800 mhz evilboot8.img .

Any thoughts?

I dont know if you flashed BB v.9 with ROM Manager or through recovery. I ask because I use ROM Manager and when you flash BB v.9 into your phone using that, it gives you the option to overclock it from the manager menu before flashing it into your phone..

If and when you want any better kernels, under ROM Manager you can go into :

settings soft key > settings > check advanced mode > download rom > cyanogenMod > P3Droid Kernels.. and chose your liking.

This is how I overclock my phone..and afterwards I set the profiles with SetCPU and whatever you need.

The other option is going through what 'daNutz' said up above me.

Reactions: ilmar72
Upvote 0
I dont know if you flashed BB v.9 with ROM Manager or through recovery. I ask because I use ROM Manager and when you flash BB v.9 into your phone using that, it gives you the option to overclock it from the manager menu before flashing it into your phone..

If and when you want any better kernels, under ROM Manager you can go into :

settings soft key > settings > check advanced mode > download rom > cyanogenMod > P3Droid Kernels.. and chose your liking.

This is how I overclock my phone..and afterwards I set the profiles with SetCPU and whatever you need.

The other option is going through what 'daNutz' said up above me.

Through SPR Recovery :(

Upvote 0
Im not really sure what you mean.

Your phone bricked because the 'evilboot' image you downloaded was one of the first overclock ROMs available, and made for Android 2.0

BB 0.9 is based on Android 2.1, meaning, incompatible.

Your best bet is to reload BB 0.9, and download a compatible kernel in update.zip form, then install the update.zip through recovery.

As said, the P3Droid kernels work great. Find them here:

P3Droid Kernels

Reactions: ilmar72
Upvote 0
Ok, go here [UPDATE] New Kernels - Low Voltage + Medium Voltage - 3/25/2010 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum or use the ones from Fabolous post above.

Pick the kernel, download it to your pc, rename it update.zip, dont type the zip because you will end up with it named update.zip.zip (I found this out the hard way) and it won't work.

Mount your phone to your pc and place the file on the root of your sd card.

Reboot into recovery (x on the keyboard while powering on)

Select install update zip then select allow or something like that, it's the second option, then select install update zip, the third option.

Your new kernel will load then reboot and open Setcpu - bottom menu button - Device Selection - Autodetect Speeds

You can then select the OC speed you want

Upvote 0
Your phone bricked because the 'evilboot' image you downloaded was one of the first overclock ROMs available, and made for Android 2.0

BB 0.9 is based on Android 2.1, meaning, incompatible.

Your best bet is to reload BB 0.9, and download a compatible kernel in update.zip form, then install the update.zip through recovery.

As said, the P3Droid kernels work great. Find them here:

P3Droid Kernels

Thanks,

I did this and it worked !

No offense BP. Im sure your link works too. Thanks to everyone for responding. Im pleasantly suprised by how short it took to get this issue resolved from when I made the first post. (maybe 20 minutes )

Upvote 0
Thanks,

I did this and it worked !

No offense BP. Im sure your link works too. Thanks to everyone for responding. Im pleasantly suprised by how short it took to get this issue resolved from when I made the first post. (maybe 20 minutes )

No offense taken, I'm using P3Droid kernels in my current setup I just never had a link for them (I do now:)) and I know CheyNo1's worked great for me when I was running BB 0.9

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones