1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help! Phone dropped, screen is just pink lines!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by musiclover7, Jan 13, 2013.

1. musiclover7

musiclover7 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 25, 2012
    Last night my Galaxy S3 dropped. Not very far, not very hard. IT had it's protective case on. It landed essentially flat on it's face, which I thought would be fine, as the case provides protection for that sort of thing. Unfortunately, now the screen is just pink lines..

Now, here is my concern. I had rooted this phone probably a week or two before. I did not install a custom ROM yet, just simply gone for and achieved root access.

I have basically two questions..

1) Did I void my warranty, and am I stuck with this broken phone?

2) How can I get my data off the phone...?

There are text messages I want to save, etc. I had performed a Titanium backup about a week ago, but have not done one since. I am pretty sure that backup is stored on my sd card, but I cannot find it.. Any help appreciated!!

Advertisement

2. musiclover7

None

Nov 25, 2012
    I should also mention, that the screen is not cracked in any way. It just shows pink lines... sometimes blue lines, seems to depend on the temperature..

3. musiclover7

None

Nov 25, 2012
    No one has any advice? I can plug the phone into my computer, and can browse files on the phone. Should I take it in as it is... Right now, it has custom recovery and super root access?

4. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2011
    Male
    Ireland
    1. Yes you have voided the warranty by rooting. But if you can get the screen working you can unroot.

2. I assume you have tried connecting your phone to a pc and exploring the files that way.

musiclover7 likes this.
  5. rosser725

rosser725 Newbie
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Boston, MA
    If you can get into download mode, I would odin back to stock so that you can try to make a warrenty claim. I would try to put it in download mode, and then plug it in to the computer and hope it connects (even if you can't seen whats on the screen)

musiclover7 likes this.
  6. musiclover7

None

Nov 25, 2012
    I took it into the store, and as it turns out, the screen was cracked, ever so slightly, such that you can barely see it. As such, I am going to have to submit an insurance claim with $150 deductible. Harsh! Not sure if I still need to worry about rooting the phone, but I am assuming not..

If so, I can probably put it into download mode... The phone turns on, I can see the file system when I plug it into the computer. I can hear texts coming in, etc..

Mainly, I want to make sure all texts and voicemails are backed up. There are a few on there that I really want to save, as the person who sent them, is no longer living. I have a titanium backup that is a few weeks old, but I don't know if these texts are included.

Thanks for all the help. Any more is greatly appreciated!!

7. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert
    None

Dec 4, 2011
    Male
    Sheffield U.K
    Be warned, it'll come back wiped of everything.

I'd beg, steal, or borrow an HDMI adapter and see if at least you can see the display on a TV. I think you'd still have a problem navigating to do a TB on a cracked screen though.

I hope they just replace the screen and switch it on to test at the repair centre. You have my sympathy with the text messages, I lost a lot from my Mum (just passed away back then) when I washed my old Nokia N8 that meant a lot to me.

musiclover7 likes this.
  8. musiclover7

None

Nov 25, 2012
    Well.. They are sending me a replacement, and after receiving it, I have 10 days to ship back the original. I do not know if it will matter that the phone is rooted. At this point, I mostly just want to get the text and voice messages off the phone somehow.

I did a little googling, and tried a program called android commander in an effort to get access to the root directories where the sms are kept etc, but it did not recognize my phone. Is there any other chance, or do I just have to hope that my titanium backups from before contain what is needed?

9. GTWalling

GTWalling Android Expert
    None

Sep 9, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Samsung Kies should be able to pull the SMS from the phone.

musiclover7 likes this.
  10. musiclover7

None

Nov 25, 2012
    Installed Samsung Kies, but unfortunately, it is not detecting my phone.. Good suggestion. I may have to hope that one of my older backups has what is needed.

11. musiclover7

None

Nov 25, 2012
    I am not sure why it would not work before, but I was able to actually run a backup with Samsung Kies this morning. It worked beautifully, but unfortunately, it did not get the voicemails. Is there a program that can get the voicemails as well? Much thanks for everyone's help so far.