• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help please accidentally factory reset Sprint Note2

For those of you with ADHD here is my ultimate question: Is there ANY way for me to recover the rest of the information that I thought was gone forever?

I've been a quiet observer for some time now. Whenever I have a problem or question I come here and check, and someone has already had the problem and y'all (what do you expect? I live South of the Mason Dixon line) have already answered their question and fixed their problem. I've been looking for a fix to this one for a week and come up empty...
I have an unrooted Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 2 that I had been having power issues with for a couple of weeks. Using Waze and nothing else but the Bluetooth turned on to receive calls, driving to an important meeting with the phone plugged in and charging, phone goes black, pull over to the side of the road and power on 2% charge??? And a couple of other similar episodes.
Last week get home from work plug in the phone and it reboots itself, well not quite it, it hangs on the Samsung screen, so I left it alone for about 2 hours plugged in. Come back to it STILL on the Samsung screen. At this point I'm ready to throw it out the highest window. I pick it up and try to turn it on, I start mashing on buttons... One at a time, two at a time, all three at the same time. FINALLY after long last I see SOMETHING other than the Samsung screen so I set it down and walk away. The next time I pick it up, I am setting my language and signing into my google account (FML). Okay, I deserve it, I was pissed off and acting irresponsibly, so I suck it up and begin to accept that everything in the internal storage is GONE (saved text messages, 2 years of fuel logs, pictures hidden inside an application) so I go to the Google Play Store to start putting (my life back together) my apps back. After, I don't know maybe 10 applications update, I start getting errors that the applications can't be installed because there is no "space" available. So I check, and sure enough, Storage settings says:
Device Memory
Total device capacity: 16.00 GB
System memory: 4.87 GB
Used space: 1.63 GB
Cached data: 157 MB
Miscellaneous files: 9.00 GB
Available Space: 361 MB

SD card
Total space: 29.81 GB
Available space: 26.98 GB

Wait a minute 9.00 GB?!?!?! That is almost TWICE the size of System memory!!! WTH is all that? So I immediately stopped all the apps that were trying to install/update and haven't let them do it since. THEN I REALIZED, my custom wallpaper is still set. It doesn't exist on the SD card, and isn't in the "Gallery" or "Wallpapers", so if I change it to something else I won't be able to simply change it back, I'll have to go download it again and re-crop it, so that tells me that EVERYTHING isn't gone, a lot of it is in that 9.00 GB. Since the phone decided to hang on to the wallpaper. Is there ANY way for me to recover the rest of the information that I thought was gone forever?

Plug your phone into a computer and explore the internal drive from your desktop. See if you can figure our what files are there and copy them to the computer, factory reset again and, after you've restored everything possible, see if you can copy the stuff that you moved to the computer back to the phone.

You might want to check your battery too. It might be failing, causing the issues.

Upvote 0
Okay. I hooked it up to my Windows 7 computer and I am able to see "Phone" and "Card", initially I copied everything from the Phone, then decided to MOVE everything off the Phone storage instead. The phone is still functioning so I'm thinking I didn't do something right. I checked the Storage in "Settings/More... Storage" and my numbers have changed a little from my earlier post but Miscellaneous files is still 8.72 GB.
4.87GB
1.68GB
118MB
8.72GB
640MB
Since I'm sure someone is going to ask, Yes "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" is chosen in the Folder Options on my computer, "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" is unchecked.
The contents of the folder on my computer are:
Alarms
Android
App2SD
azumio_logs
backups
baidu
CheetahBrowser
CM Browser
DCIM
Documents
Download
FuelLog
kbatterydoctor
media
Movies
Music
Notifications
Pictures
Playlists
Podcasts
Ringtones
S Note
smvvm
wdh_update
The phone is still showing:
Android
DCIM
Download
Pictures
Playlists
even though I said to move everything over to my hard drive.
Windows Explorer is showing Card: 26.7 GB free of 29.8 GB and Phone: 619 MB free of 11.1 GB.
Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong?

Upvote 0
Android ( I wouldn't worry about this folder, you only want your user data)
DCIM
Download
Pictures
Playlists

Do these folders have anything in them on the phone? Do they have anything in them on the computer? I suspect you may have copied the data over to your computer but they may have folder locks on them that do not allow them to be deleted on the phone.
Can you try to erase them in the phone?
When you do another factory reset on the phone, it may erase all those files anyway.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones