• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help, please! Flashed zip-killed network connection

I did take it to a Verizon store but they told me that the reps on the phones are the ones that are trained better than the store reps and that they are now mostly sales people at the store (perhaps I will try a different store as well). Also, it's not in their best interest for my phone to work because if it doesn't then they want to sell me a new phone. Their main job is to make money, not fix things.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions with activation/switching/*228 and Verizon but I don't believe the problem is with those ideas and Verizon techs are limited in what they know (not their fault but they are only trained to work on certain issues, rooting not included).

What I really need is a person that is a pro at rooting (not the 1 click that I used) to get their hands on it, but those people are hard to find. I feel like the problem can be fixed but I am not experienced enough to figure it out and there is only so much I can do based on everyone's advice (considering I am limited in my knowledge)

But thank you to everyone and please keep the ideas coming!

Upvote 0
Well, given that we have (also) in the mix multiple phones being used on the same account, I'm reluctant to add anything further to this discussion. (I note that mrcmaher never mentioned in this thread that he couldn't make voice calls with the phone even once).

But, I'll throw this out for consideration.

It has never been obvious to me what the "nvram" file in the PB00IMG.zip files are used for. They certainly do not correspond to any of the partitions on the Eris, as do each and every other image file in the PB00IMG.zip.

On the off chance that the the nvram files are read by the bootloader, and then written someplace (where?) into the phone by the bootloader, the only way to get any closer to a factory phone condition is to install a PB00IMG.zip file using the bootloader.

As mrcmaher has already installed the FlashBack21 ROM, his "misc" partition should allow bootloader flashing of the "Root" PB00IMG.zip file:

Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip
107,427,740 bytes; MD5 signature: 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94
MultiUpload.com - Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip.

Once that is done (rename the file to PB00IMG.zip, place it in the root folder of your SD card, perform a "md5sum" checksum of the file on the SD card to make sure it is not corrupted, charge the phone fully, and then boot into the HBOOT mode), then:

- perform a factory reset,
- go through activation on the next boot
- for good measure run the *228 call manually one more time.

If this works, then good - note that the old "Root Rom" flashes a pretty old radio firmware. You can either re-root and flash a radio (by itself), or root, unroot with FlashBack21+radio, and then re-root again to end up with a phone with a newer radio.

Good Luck.
I used astro file manager app on the phone to look for the PB00IMG.zip file and it couldn't be found. Is this a file that I should be able to find with this file manager? Or is it possible that something happened to this file and that is the root of my problems?

Upvote 0
I used astro file manager app on the phone to look for the PB00IMG.zip file and it couldn't be found. Is this a file that I should be able to find with this file manager? Or is it possible that something happened to this file and that is the root of my problems?

mrcmaher,

Did you already download it from the link eu1 provided (Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!)?

You should be able to do this directly from your phone (I think you've still got wi-fi, right?). I sometimes have trouble using the stock browser for downloads involving the MultiUpload site, but Opera Mini Browser seems to be better behaved for me in that respect.

Its likely to be downloaded to your "download" or "downloads" folder on your SD card and it will have the long filename on it that you'll have to trim down to PB00IMG.zip and then move to the top-level of your SD card (i.e., /sdcard/PB00IMG.zip).

Be sure to double-check the MD5 checksum and or do a "jar verify" check (both / either can be done using my AFV app).

Then, boot into HBOOT mode and let the PB00IMG.zip file be flashed / installed (you'll have to interact with it a couple of times). Then, follow the rest of eu1's instructions.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
mrcmaher,

Did you already download it from the link eu1 provided (Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!)?

You should be able to do this directly from your phone (I think you've still got wi-fi, right?). I sometimes have trouble using the stock browser for downloads involving the MultiUpload site, but Opera Mini Browser seems to be better behaved for me in that respect.

Its likely to be downloaded to your "download" or "downloads" folder on your SD card and it will have the long filename on it that you'll have to trim down to PB00IMG.zip and then move to the top-level of your SD card (i.e., /sdcard/PB00IMG.zip).

Be sure to double-check the MD5 checksum and or do a "jar verify" check (both / either can be done using my AFV app).

Then, boot into HBOOT mode and let the PB00IMG.zip file be flashed / installed (you'll have to interact with it a couple of times). Then, follow the rest of eu1's instructions.

Good luck.

Cheers!
OK, so I dowloaded the file and changed the name. I put the file on the SD card but I don't know how to "move to the top-level of your SD card (i.e., /sdcard/PB00IMG.zip)." Iput it on the SD card and then ran the AFV app and got the message

"Jar Verification Failure
manifest file cannot be found; i.e. this is not a jar (java.util.zip.ZipException: Central Directory Entry not found)
[duration: 0.183 secs]"

Am I getting that message because I did'nt pu the file in the right place?

Upvote 0
OK, so I dowloaded the file and changed the name. I put the file on the SD card but I don't know how to "move to the top-level of your SD card (i.e., /sdcard/PB00IMG.zip)." Iput it on the SD card and then ran the AFV app and got the message

"Jar Verification Failure
manifest file cannot be found; i.e. this is not a jar (java.util.zip.ZipException: Central Directory Entry not found)
[duration: 0.183 secs]"

Am I getting that message because I did'nt pu the file in the right place?

No, that means that my app (or rather, the Java .zip methods it calls) didn't like / couldn't recognize that file as a proper signed .zip file.

How did you download it or transfer it to your phone?

If you transferred it from your PC, did you do a "safe eject" before removing the USB cable? If you downloaded it directly on your phone, you probably got an incomplete download.

Reactions: mrcmaher
Upvote 0
No, that means that my app (or rather, the Java .zip methods it calls) didn't like / couldn't recognize that file as a proper signed .zip file.

How did you download it or transfer it to your phone?

If you transferred it from your PC, did you do a "safe eject" before removing the USB cable? If you downloaded it directly on your phone, you probably got an incomplete download.
It's on my computer and I dragged it to the sd card through USB. I will try again with the "safe ject".

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I did it the right way and it still tells me the same thing. What's the "top level" of the SD card?

mrcmaher,

Okay, first for the SD top-level question:

Its the /mnt/sdcard mount point...i.e., there are no folders higher than that (well, there really is, and that would be /mnt, but /mnt/sdcard or /sdcard as its commonly referred to, is the top-level of the SD card).

So, you should have the PB00IMG.zip (base root ROM) in the /sdcard/PB00IMG.zip location.

Its size and MD5 checksum is:

file size: 107,427,740 bytes
MD5 checksum: 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94

You can also use AFV to verify the above (via the "Calc MD-5 Checksum" option).

Second, I might have led you astray here (I can't remember, but I'll go back and check...). The base root ROM is not a signed .zip like other files since it does not have a META-INF directory/folder in it... Its signed by HTC and is a .zip file, but is not "jar verifiable".

edit: apologies...looks like I did indicate this...a thousand apologies.

So, just double-check the size and MD5 sum that I show above to see if you've go a whole and intact file.

Sorry about that.

second edit: I should point-out (before eu1 does ;) :)) that the HBOOT won't flash an improperly signed PB00IMG.zip file; my exhortations about double-checking the MD5 checksum and file size in this instance is to help save you the trouble of having to re-download and/or re-transfer the file; its also good practice for whenever you would flash a file, whether its via the bootloader or via a custom recovery.

Upvote 0
mrcmaher,

Okay, first for the SD top-level question:

Its the /mnt/sdcard mount point...i.e., there are no folders higher than that (well, there really is, and that would be /mnt, but /mnt/sdcard or /sdcard as its commonly referred to, is the top-level of the SD card).

So, you should have the PB00IMG.zip (base root ROM) in the /sdcard/PB00IMG.zip location.

Its size and MD5 checksum is:

file size: 107,427,740 bytes
MD5 checksum: 63eacc5ede3b179f95dc22d8ef585f94

You can also use AFV to verify the above (via the "Calc MD-5 Checksum" option).

Second, I might have led you astray here (I can't remember, but I'll go back and check...). The base root ROM is not a signed .zip like other files since it does not have a META-INF directory/folder in it... Its signed by HTC and is a .zip file, but is not "jar verifiable".

edit: apologies...looks like I did indicate this...a thousand apologies.

So, just double-check the size and MD5 sum that I show above to see if you've go a whole and intact file.

Sorry about that.
Okay, did the MD5 Checksum test and it's the same that you wrote. :)

How do I know if I have the file in the "/sdcard/PB00IMG.zip location"?

Upvote 0
Okay, did the MD5 Checksum test and it's the same that you wrote. :)

How do I know if I have the file in the "/sdcard/PB00IMG.zip location"?

If you navigate to that file in AFV and the first line of the file selector display shows "[/mnt/sdcard]" or "[/sdcard]", then the file is indeed in the top-level directory of the SD card :).

The same should be true for a file manager/explorer like Astro, or ES File Explorer, etc.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
If you navigate to that file in AFV and the first line of the file selector display shows "[/mnt/sdcard]" or "[/sdcard]", then the file is indeed in the top-level directory of the SD card :).

The same should be true for a file manager/explorer like Astro, or ES File Explorer, etc.

Make sense?
Awesome! It's there. So now the next step just to make sure I am doing it correctly...

"boot into HBOOT mode and let the PB00IMG.zip file be flashed / installed (you'll have to interact with it a couple of times). Then, follow the rest of eu1's instructions."

I am not familiar with HBOOT mode. Is it relatively simple?

Upvote 0
Awesome! It's there. So now the next step just to make sure I am doing it correctly...

"boot into HBOOT mode and let the PB00IMG.zip file be flashed / installed (you'll have to interact with it a couple of times). Then, follow the rest of eu1's instructions."

I am not familiar with HBOOT mode. Is it relatively simple?

Yeah, its when you:

1) power off (shutdown) the phone
2) restart into FASTBOOT mode (initially) by simultaneously pressing both of the front buttons on the phone (i.e., the call/send and the end/pwr buttons)
3) you can release them (the buttons) once the screen lights-up (you'll see the the white letters "FASTBOOT" highlighted in red); this happens very quickly
4) press the volume-DOWN toggle to enter HBoot Mode (it says that on the screen)

Here's a reference thread for you (but you probably won't need it):

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/75384-visual-example-pb00img-zip-update-method.html

eu1 wrote that, so its pretty good ;).

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Yeah, its when you:

1) power off (shutdown) the phone
2) restart into FASTBOOT mode (initially) by simultaneously pressing both of the front buttons on the phone (i.e., the call/send and the end/pwr buttons)
3) you can release them (the buttons) once the screen lights-up (you'll see the the white letters "FASTBOOT" highlighted in red); this happens very quickly
4) press the volume-DOWN toggle to enter HBoot Mode (it says that on the screen)

Here's a reference thread for you (but you probably won't need it):

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/75384-visual-example-pb00img-zip-update-method.html

eu1 wrote that, so its pretty good ;).

Good luck!
I tried this and this section of his post is what happened...

"If the "PB00IMG.ZIP" file was not found on the SD card, the list of files shown above would flash across the screen and disappear very quickly - less than one second. If this is what you experience, there are a couple of possible reasons why this might have occurred:
  1. There is no file named PB00IMG.ZIP in the root folder of the SD card
  2. You put the file there, but misspelled the name
  3. The SD Card needs to be re-formatted **
  4. The SD card is "questionable" - replace with a "beter" card **
I didn't mispell the name so the other options are more likely, but if I re-format a card doesn't that erase what's on the card? And how exactly do I re-format?

Upvote 0
I tried this and this section of his post is what happened...

"If the "PB00IMG.ZIP" file was not found on the SD card, the list of files shown above would flash across the screen and disappear very quickly - less than one second. If this is what you experience, there are a couple of possible reasons why this might have occurred:
  1. There is no file named PB00IMG.ZIP in the root folder of the SD card
  2. You put the file there, but misspelled the name
  3. The SD Card needs to be re-formatted **
  4. The SD card is "questionable" - replace with a "beter" card **
I didn't mispell the name so the other options are more likely, but if I re-format a card doesn't that erase what's on the card? And how exactly do I re-format?

You're fine...you probably really don't have the PB00IMG.zip file in the /sdcard folder or its not named exactly "PB00IMG.zip".

Just do a battery pull and reboot back into Android. Then, let's double-check that your file is in the proper place.

I'll post a screenshot of how my version looks in AFV so you can compare...brb.

Upvote 0
Okay, first screen shows AFV navigated to the top of the /sdcard:

CAP201111231859.jpg

Second screen shows where I scrolled-down to the bottom of the file selection list and the PB00IMG.zip file is the last file on the screen:

CAP2011112319001.jpg

I re-did the MD5 checksum and you can see how AFV reports the full filename as "/sdcard/PB00IMG.zip":

CAP2011112319002.jpg

Let me know if this matches what you see.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Okay, first screen shows AFV navigated to the top of the /sdcard:

View attachment 24325

Second screen shows where I scrolled-down to the bottom of the file selection list and the PB00IMG.zip file is the last file on the screen:

View attachment 24326

I re-did the MD5 checksum and you can see how AFV reports the full filename as "/sdcard/PB00IMG.zip":

View attachment 24327

Let me know if this matches what you see.

Cheers!
That's what mine says. The duration is longer on mine but everything else is the same.

Upvote 0
That's what mine says. The duration is longer on mine but everything else is the same.

Well, it could be that the SD card does indeed need to be reformatted or you need a different one. We did see this issue several times, especially early-on when folks were rooting this way... I'm guessing that HBOOT is particularly sensitive to reading the SD card...?

Do you have a spare microSD card laying around?

If you have one, you can:

1) go to Settings -> SD card & phone storage -> Unmount SD card

2) remove the back cover of your phone

3) remove the SD card (its a spring-loaded type)

4) install the new SD card

5) return to the Settings -> SD card & phone storage -> Format SD card

edit / note: if you do this, you WILL lose the contents of the SD card (better back things up on your computer or use a different SD card if you don't want to lose its contents)

6) then, Mount SD card

7) finally, put the PB00IMG.zip back to the /sdcard/PB00IMG.zip location like before and try to re-do the HBOOT thing.

Upvote 0
Well, it could be that the SD card does indeed need to be reformatted or you need a different one. We did see this issue several times, especially early-on when folks were rooting this way... I'm guessing that HBOOT is particularly sensitive to reading the SD card...?

Do you have a spare microSD card laying around?

If you have one, you can:

1) go to Settings -> SD card & phone storage -> Unmount SD card

2) remove the back cover of your phone

3) remove the SD card (its a spring-loaded type)

4) install the new SD card

5) return to the Settings -> SD card & phone storage -> Format SD card

edit / note: if you do this, you WILL lose the contents of the SD card (better back things up on your computer or use a different SD card if you don't want to lose its contents)

6) then, Mount SD card

7) finally, put the PB00IMG.zip back to the /sdcard/PB00IMG.zip location like before and try to re-do the HBOOT thing.
I do have an extra (actually 2) and I just formatted one and replaced the PB00IMG.zip and got the same quick screen.

Upvote 0
I do have an extra (actually 2) and I just formatted one and replaced the PB00IMG.zip and got the same quick screen.

Well, I must admit to being a little bit stumped here at this point... Are you sure those are zeros ("0") instead of "ohs" ("O") in the filename?

That's the only other thing that I think it could be...

Maybe doogald or eu1 will weigh back in re. this...

I'll keep thinking about it...

edit: just saw your edit. I don't think its weird to have to unmount the SD card to format it...you wouldn't want an app to try to access the SD card while its being formatted; that way, the format function will "own" the SD card device and other apps can't touch it until you remount it.

Upvote 0
Well, I must admit to being a little bit stumped here at this point... Are you sure those are zeros ("0") instead of "ohs" ("O") in the filename?

That's the only other thing that I think it could be...

Maybe doogald or eu1 will weigh back in re. this...

I'll keep thinking about it...

edit: just saw your edit. I don't think its weird to have to unmount the SD card to format it...you wouldn't want an app to try to access the SD card while its being formatted; that way, the format function will "own" the SD card device and other apps can't touch it until you remount it.
Yup, they are zeros. I will keep trying and I really do appreciate your help. I know that you would rather spend your time doing something else but thank you so much.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Yup, they are zeros. I will keep trying and I really do appreciate your help. I know that you would rather spend your time doing something else but thank you so much.

Well, I'm here to help when and how I can :).

I don't have much experience with regaining network connectivity like doogald and eu1 do and I don't mess with my Eris all that much anymore, but this is a large reason why a hung on to it :).

I'll keep noodling with this, but like eu1 indicated in his "Visual" thread, he never experienced this himself (nor have I).

I don't suppose the other cards you tried were of a different make and/or class? Maybe that would make a difference...just trying one of a different "type" than the one you tried...dunno...

Upvote 0
Well, I'm here to help when and how I can :).

I don't have much experience with regaining network connectivity like doogald and eu1 do and I don't mess with my Eris all that much anymore, but this is a large reason why a hung on to it :).

I'll keep noodling with this, but like eu1 indicated in his "Visual" thread, he never experienced this himself (nor have I).

I don't suppose the other cards you tried were of a different make and/or class? Maybe that would make a difference...just trying one of a different "type" than the one you tried...dunno...
Holy crap it's working on another card!!!!

Upvote 0
Holy crap it's working on another card!!!!
Sadly, I am still not getting a data connection. :( I think at this point I will be selling it and moving on. (Unless someone has another idea)

Thank you to everyone that helped (most especially scary alien, doogald and erisuser1). I really appreciate all the time you guys took out of your schedules to help.

Upvote 0
Well, I always like to tilt at windmills.

I'd reroot the thing and install a new radio again - just to see what happens.

I'm in and out the rest of the weekend but I'll post something up tomorrow night or Monday morning if nobody beats me to it. In case you want to try to find all of this stuff for yourself, I'd 1-click root the phone, find the Sprint radio, check the MD5 hash of that file to make sure it's the right one after you move it to the SD card, and try flashing the radio.

Upvote 0
Well, I always like to tilt at windmills.

I'd reroot the thing and install a new radio again - just to see what happens.

I'm in and out the rest of the weekend but I'll post something up tomorrow night or Monday morning if nobody beats me to it. In case you want to try to find all of this stuff for yourself, I'd 1-click root the phone, find the Sprint radio, check the MD5 hash of that file to make sure it's the right one after you move it to the SD card, and try flashing the radio.

[edit] Oh, I forgot to mention - make sure that your battery is well charged.

Ok, here is where you can download the latest radio file for flashing: July 2010 Eris Radio - 2.42.01.04.27 - xda-developers

(You should be downloading 2.42.01.04.27.zip)

Note that the MD5 of the file is: C96AD832CFA22F1F1CF56F1A45B8A5EF

Please, please, please: after copying this file to your SD card, check the MD5 hash of the file on the SD card to that file. It should match exactly. You can use Scary Alien's application AFV on your Eris to do this; the app is here in the market: https://market.android.com/details?id=sa.afv&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInNhLmFmdiJd and Scary has instructions for use here: https://sites.google.com/site/scaryalienware/afv

- From main / home screen, press the "Select File" button to enter the file-selector

- Top row (folder icon with the green up arrow) always displays the currently selected directory (touch this row to navigate UP one directory level)

- Back key can also be used to navigate UP one directory level (will return to main screen when pressing back key at root directory)

- Navigate to other subdirectories by touching a directory row (folder icon)

- Touch screen and drag up and down to scroll through all files and directories in currently selected directory

- Long-press on a file to view the available functions:

- Calc MD5 Checksum

You'll also have to re-root the phone; using the 1-click root app on the market is probably the easiest way: https://market.android.com/details?...1bGwsMSwxLDEsIm5ldC5hbmRpcmMuZXJpc3Jvb3RlciJd

Note that you need to do this:

1. install the 1click app
2. run the 1click app
3. shut down and then restart the phone
4. shut down the phone
5. restart while holding VolUp to access Amon_RA Recovery

Many people do step 1, then 2, but skip step 3 and go right to step 4 and step 5 and wonder why it doesn't work.

Ok, now you should do this to install the radio (assuming that the MD5 hash matches what I listed above - have I mentioned that enough times?):

- From Recovery, Backup/Restore
- Nand Backup
- When done, press VolDn to go back to the main menu
- Flash a zip from SD Card
- Choose 2.42.01.04.27.zip
- You will see instructions to Reboot system - go ahead and do that. This will write the radio image.
- You'll then see a cartoony Android screen with a mailbox, an arrow pointing to a little green Android. This goes away after about 30 seconds and automatically restarts to Amon_RA recovery.
- You will see a message at the bottom "Formatting CACHE:...". To be safe, wait about 30 seconds, and then "Reboot system now"

After the phone restarts, you probably need to *228 option 2 to update the PRL (preferred roaming list).

Let's see if that works....

[By the way, because Amon_RA Recovery will only go through with flashing a properly signed .zip file, if the MD5 hash is incorrect - which is typically because you did not get a complete download - the flash a zip file will simply fail. However, it's better to be safe then sorry.]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones