• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root help please. mms.apk

dangelo21

Lurker
Jul 3, 2011
I uninstalled the mms.apk file because I had GOsms. It crashed, gained my sms back. But cannot view/send picture messages. I do have the mms.apk/.odex files back now. But I cannot install them. I have tried almost everything that I can understand please. Help.

I have tried this trick with apps that dont install/reinstall. Just place the files in /sys/app, make sure the permissions match the other apps in the folder(r-wr--r-- i think) then reboot and see if the issue goes away.

The only thing I am unsure of is the exact file permissions, just going off the top of my head.

This worked for me when i needed to resintall SNS.apk, which is a social networking app from LG.

Upvote 0
I have tried this trick with apps that dont install/reinstall. Just place the files in /sys/app, make sure the permissions match the other apps in the folder(r-wr--r-- i think) then reboot and see if the issue goes away.

The only thing I am unsure of is the exact file permissions, just going off the top of my head.

This worked for me when i needed to resintall SNS.apk, which is a social networking app from LG.
Hey edgchacon, it's /system/app/ and the file permissions are rw-r--r--
Once they are in place and file permissions set, you can click on the mms.apk and it should install like any other .apk
The reboot.

Upvote 0
I uninstalled the mms.apk file because I had GOsms. It crashed, gained my sms back. But cannot view/send picture messages. I do have the mms.apk/.odex files back now. But I cannot install them. I have tried almost everything that I can understand please. Help.

Hi,

I'm having this same problem but I don't have the mms.apk file you guys are talking about. I know, sorry I'm a noob. Installed GoSMS and deleted stock messenger. Now I can't receive any messages. :eek: Can anyone please walk me through this? Please! I don't have any mms.apk files under system/app...

Upvote 0
Are you rooted?I'm going to assume you are. What file explorer/manager do you have? You can usually pull the mms.apk from a ROM with a known good mms and put it where the original was supposed to be. In as much as it's a system.apk you shouldn't have to sign it before install.

Do you have a ClockWorkMod recovery installed? If so there is a utility that will allow you to place the mms.apk right where you need to, straight drag and drop. It's called QtADB and can be found here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/517758-playing-qtadb.html#post4093175
To open a ROM.zip and pull the mms.apk out you can use this http://www.nchsoftware.com/zip/index.html It's called express Zip File Compression Software. I think it's better for doing the task than 7zip. All you have to do is left click on a zip and it will open it up allowing you to pull just one file or folder out without having to extract the whole zip. I'm not sure what it's name is for the M, but if you download a ROM.zip for the the M, it should be in the system/app folder when you left click on the zip. You might have to do some research on the name of the mms.apk for the M,as it probably won't be that easy.

With ES File explorer you can change the permissions of any file or folder. The mms.app once it is installed is suposed to be set at rw-r--r--

If you have any questions just post here. If nobody responds to your questions I will. It might be later in the evening tomorrow though.

Once you have pulled the apk out of the zip, you can use QtADB to drag and drop it where it needs to go. Then install it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones