• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help please :(

ZEUS27

Lurker
Nov 1, 2010
I just recently got an HTC phone and i need help bc I was use to the iPhone. I saw that on the desire you can do WiFi tethering and put off a wifi signal for free. My desire is on 2.1 if that means anything. And I haven't rooted it bc idk how :/ please help.

Ok thanks a bunch u guys. But im still having a little trouble.
Widehead- I went to ehere u said and i didn't have that option :/ but I looked at my firmware thing and it says "version: 2.1-updated 1"

MDesire2010- thank you again.

Menilmulch- I'm in America lol. And my contract with ATT was up so I switched carriers and all.
Thanks again guys!

Upvote 0
Since you are on AT&T I would suspect you have the Telus Desire from Canada, so do I and am running Froyo 2.2 because I did a flash of the stock HTC Ruu(firmware), since you are on AT&T I would venture a guess that it is unlocked.

There is a Froyo update released by Telus that will probably show up on your phone sooner or later, you can upgrade with that one if you want to keep the Telus stuff on the phone or you can do a upgrade yourself by going to a thread on this forum that shows you how to get the stock Froyo from HTC and further over the air updates right from HTC!!!

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

How you do it is up to you but since I do not have Telus service I did not see any reason to keep the Telus firmware on my phone, plus the stock Ruu has improved my connection to the AT&T Network and also unlocked the 850 band so I can connect to the Edge Network when I am not in a 3G area, Telus does not use the 850 band so it is locked out on the telus phone's for data, voice will still work. You can get voice but the E will not show up at all.

I did not see the part where you said you switched carriers, so you are on T-mobile???

Upvote 0
Reactions: ZEUS27
Upvote 0
So should I just root my phone?

I really can't say because I do not know if there are any custom rom's for a CDMA phone, the CDMA phone is not as wide spread as the GSM and so I would not expect very much support from developers as you would find for the GSM. I would say do some Google searching and see if you can come up with something for it before you root because rooting will Void any warranty that you have on the phone. Also see what the other people in that other thread think about it. Hope this helps you some!

Reactions: ZEUS27
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones